Puppeteer vs. React With Conviction

witness1

Apr 24, 2006, 5:14:22 PM4/24/06
React with Conviction [NoR:C]
Cardtype: Conviction
When an effect that would change control of this imbued is played or
announced, you may burn this card to cancel that effect. Burn this card
to cancel either a (D) action against this imbued that requires
Chimerstry [chi], Dementation [dem], Dominate [dom], Presence [pre], or
Serpentis [ser] or a strike card that requires any of those Disciplines
played by a minion opposing this imbued as it is announced. No cost is
paid.

Puppeteer (Wraith) [FN:R2]
Cardtype: Ally
Cost: 1 pool
Discipline: Necromancy
Wraith with 1 life. 1 strength, 0 bleed.
[nec] The puppeteer can give you control of an ally or a vampire with
capacity of less than 5 for the remainder of your turn as a (D) action.
[NEC] As above, with 2 life.

So, if I burn the React With Conviction as the Puppeteer's action is
announced, it cancels his action, leaving him untapped and ready to
perform his action, effectively doing nothing but burning a conviction,
right?

Witness1
-ItE

Emiliano Imeroni

Apr 24, 2006, 7:04:18 PM4/24/06

I don't think so. The Puppeteer taps, and his action is successful.
Burning the React with Conviction cancels the "effect", but doesn't
cancel the action.

So you keep your Imbued, and the Puppeteer stays tapped to cry on
his mistake. Or at least that's my bet, as IANLSJ.

Ciao!
Emiliano

witness1

Apr 24, 2006, 9:08:16 PM4/24/06

Normally, when an action is canceled as it is announced (see Direct
Intervention), the minion doesn't tap, and the action doesn't never
resolves (successfully or otherwise), so NRA doesn't taint the minion.
This isn't an action card, so it could be different, hence asking the
question instead of just knowing the result.

See also this post
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/be36c9ec90d1e78e>
where a minion playing Putrescent Servitude is left untapped when it's
canceled by React With Conviction (paralleling DI).

Witness1
-ItE

RocketEddy

Apr 25, 2006, 4:12:01 AM4/25/06
React with Conviction [NoR:C]
Cardtype: Conviction
When an effect that would change control of this imbued is played or
announced, you may burn this card to cancel that effect. Burn this card
to cancel either a (D) action against this imbued that requires
Chimerstry [chi], Dementation [dem], Dominate [dom], Presence [pre], or
Serpentis [ser] or a strike card that requires any of those Disciplines
played by a minion opposing this imbued as it is announced. No cost is
paid.

Direct Intervention
Type: Master
Cost: 1 pool
Master: out-of-turn.
Cancel a minion card as it is played. That card has no effect. No cost
is paid. If the burned card was an action card, the acting minion
remains untapped. If the card was a strike card, the minion chooses
another strike.

I also tend to feel the puppeteer is tapped. DI specifies that the "no
effect" is replaceable with a new one, through not tapping the minion
or allowing a new strike to be chosen. Contrast that with Sudden
Reversal:

Sudden Reversal
Type: Master
Master: out-of-turn.
Cancel a master card played by another Methuselah as it is played (no
cost is paid).

The card is canceled but the player does not get an opportuity to play
another master card.

The worded here is much closer to SR than DI, so I'd say the action is
performed and the minion is tapped - it merely does not have any effect.

Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo

Apr 25, 2006, 8:51:41 AM4/25/06

RocketEddy wrote:
> I also tend to feel the puppeteer is tapped.

I'm pretty sure Witness is right. This has been asked and clarified
before regarding action cards, such as Putrescent Servitude in the link
posted and others. I don't see why the fact that the action is provided
by Pupeteer itself would be treated different just because it doesn't
come from an action card.

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo

LSJ

Apr 25, 2006, 9:00:00 AM4/25/06
witness1 wrote:
> So, if I burn the React With Conviction as the Puppeteer's action is
> announced, it cancels his action, leaving him untapped and ready to
> perform his action, effectively doing nothing but burning a conviction,
> right?

Correct.

Just like burning RwC to cancel a Far Mastery leaves the acting vampire
untapped and ready to perform another (if there's another in his hand).

witness1

Apr 25, 2006, 10:11:45 AM4/25/06

And the same would apply to merged Sebastian Goulet.

To quote Oscar, "Crappy!"

Witness1
-ItE

Emiliano Imeroni

Apr 25, 2006, 10:24:46 AM4/25/06

Ah, so RwC cancels the whole action, not only the "effect" as stated
in the text. Good to know. And apologies for my wrong answer above.

Emiliano

LSJ

Apr 25, 2006, 1:31:58 PM4/25/06

It cancels the effect, as stated.

The effect of an action is the action.
Canceling that action as it is announced means the action isn't taken.