Spying Mission and Archon Investigation

Doug

Oct 8, 2002, 1:59:11 AM10/8/02
If a minion with a base bleed of 2 and a superior Spying Mission that
will activate on their prey bleeds their prey can the prey play Archon
Investigation on that bleed? As the Spying Mission doesn't increase
the bleed until the action is successful, my gut feeling is that it is
too late to play the AI.

Thanks
Doug

LSJ

Oct 8, 2002, 7:46:26 AM10/8/02

Correct.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=34B0DEA3.41C6%40wizards.com

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Marty

Oct 8, 2002, 9:11:54 AM10/8/02
mess...@yahoo.com (Doug) wrote in message news:<2778f4d5.02100...@posting.google.com>...

You're right. It's kinda weird, but it's a two bleed and ANOTHER two,
not a straight 4 bleed. Dunno why it works like that, but hey, who
are we to argue? :) Still, it makes it a bit more worthwhile playing
I guess...

Marty

LSJ

Oct 8, 2002, 9:30:28 AM10/8/02

It's a straight bleed of 4.
But not until it resolves (Spying Mission isn't burned until the bleed
is resolving).
Archon Investigation must be played before resolution.

dancingmummy

Oct 8, 2002, 10:25:39 AM10/8/02

Your gut feeling is correct, Doug. In order to trigger the SM, the
bleed has to be successful. AI renders a bleed unsuccessful. People
who learn this rule at tournaments just as they play the AI have
bitter lessons, indeed.

-dancingmummy

> Thanks
> Doug

GP41

Oct 8, 2002, 11:05:00 PM10/8/02
> It's a straight bleed of 4.
> But not until it resolves (Spying Mission isn't burned until the bleed
> is resolving).
> Archon Investigation must be played before resolution.
>
> --
> LSJ

Is the vamp considered as a vamp with a current bleed of 3 when faced
with a Justicar Retribution PA?

GP41

reyda

Oct 9, 2002, 3:33:16 AM10/9/02
GP41 wrote:
::: It's a straight bleed of 4.

No.
Its current bleed is not 3. It's 3 when the Spying mission burns due to a
succesful bleed on the same methuselah.

Marty

Oct 9, 2002, 7:06:14 AM10/9/02
GP41 <GP...@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<3DA39CDC...@videotron.ca>...

Nope. SM states 'The next time this vampire successfully bleeds the
same Methuselah, burn this card for +2 bleed' - therefore, the current
bleed is whatever their base bleed is. The Spying Mission is just
that, nothing until you bleed the same Methuselah again.

Marty

Jozxyqk

Oct 9, 2002, 10:09:52 AM10/9/02
> Nope. SM states 'The next time this vampire successfully bleeds the
> same Methuselah, burn this card for +2 bleed' - therefore, the current
> bleed is whatever their base bleed is. The Spying Mission is just
> that, nothing until you bleed the same Methuselah again.

Can you burn a Spying Mission if your bleed resolves for 0 pool lost?

There's an OLD ruling (pasted from monger) that says:

Is only played after all Reaction cards (as well as other Action Modifiers)
have been played. In particular, Telepathic Counter no longer 'beats' Spying
Mission unless it is played first (and the bleed is not boosted back to
positive). [TOM 19960303]

But the new rulebook implies that there's no longer a distinction between
"successful bleed" and "successful bleed action", just that you only
gain the Edge if it resolved for at least 1 pool loss.

LSJ

Oct 9, 2002, 10:12:33 AM10/9/02
Jozxyqk wrote:

> > Nope. SM states 'The next time this vampire successfully bleeds the
> > same Methuselah, burn this card for +2 bleed' - therefore, the current
> > bleed is whatever their base bleed is. The Spying Mission is just
> > that, nothing until you bleed the same Methuselah again.
>
> Can you burn a Spying Mission if your bleed resolves for 0 pool lost?

No. It burns when the minion bleeds that same Methuselah successfully.

> There's an OLD ruling (pasted from monger) that says:
>
> Is only played after all Reaction cards (as well as other Action Modifiers)
> have been played. In particular, Telepathic Counter no longer 'beats' Spying
> Mission unless it is played first (and the bleed is not boosted back to
> positive). [TOM 19960303]
>
> But the new rulebook implies that there's no longer a distinction between
> "successful bleed" and "successful bleed action", just that you only
> gain the Edge if it resolved for at least 1 pool loss.

A successful action is one that resolves unblocked.

A successful bleed is one that resolves (unblocked) with a bleed amount
of 1 or more.