Spiritual Protector, and Nightmares upon Nightmares

Colin McGuigan

Apr 27, 2005, 1:01:42 AM4/27/05
Not in the same question, though, but I bet I could work it.

#1: Frederick the Weak, through machinations too complex to detail here,
has a Spiritual Protector. He bleeds (for 5), and is blocked by Fatima.

Due to the Spiritual Protector, Fatima can't use her assault rifle.
However, after combat is over, if Fatima Psyche!'s, can she then use her
assault rifle -- ie, is she no longer the blocking minion?

Spiritual Protector: "Spiritual Protector is immune to damage that is
not aggravated. Minions blocking or blocked by the vampire with this
retainer cannot use equipment in combat."

Psyche!: "Only usable at the end of a combat when both combatants are
still ready. Enter combat with the opposing minion. This is a new combat."

#2: We all know that Visit from the Capuchin is the way to get out of
the DNR clauses on Events. How does Visit interact with burning cards
for Nightmares upon Nightmares? Does "burning" a card count as
discarding it, as far as Visit is concerned, so Visit loses counters, or
are the cards replaced?

Visit from the Capuchin: "Put this card into play; put four counters on
this card from the blood bank. Your hand size is +X where X is the
number of counters on this card. Each time you play or discard a card
(except when discarding down to your hand size), burn a counterfrom the
card (do not draw a replacement card). Burn this card when the last
counter is removed."

Nightmares upon Nightmares: "For each minion a Methuselah controls
during his or her untap phase, the Methuselah must burn a card from his
or her hand or tap that minion. Cards burned in this way are not
replaced until the master phase. Vampires with capacity greater than the
number of Gehenna cards in play and mortal allies are not affected by
this card."

--Colin McGuigan

Robert Scythe

Apr 27, 2005, 5:58:42 AM4/27/05
Hey, I'm awake and feel like giving these questions a stab (LSJ will
be here soon enough anyway).

> #1: Frederick the Weak, through machinations too complex to detail
here,
> has a Spiritual Protector. He bleeds (for 5), and is blocked by
Fatima.

> Due to the Spiritual Protector, Fatima can't use her assault rifle.
> However, after combat is over, if Fatima Psyche!'s, can she then use
her
> assault rifle -- ie, is she no longer the blocking minion?

Well, here's a quick rant as precursor: Man, I was hoping that the
reprint of this card would have stated "in combat with this minion"
instead of the original text. Damn, it costs 3 blood as it is. Anyway,
I believe that Fatima is the blocking minion for the entire action no
matter how many separate combats happen or who participates (note Fast
Reaction does not change the blocking minion only whom the acting
minion will now fight, unlike Shilmulo Deception).

> #2: We all know that Visit from the Capuchin is the way to get out of

> the DNR clauses on Events. How does Visit interact with burning
cards
> for Nightmares upon Nightmares? Does "burning" a card count as
> discarding it, as far as Visit is concerned, so Visit loses counters,
or
> are the cards replaced?

The only way to "burn" a card from hand would be to discard it, setting
off the Visit's clause and therefore burning one of its counters.
Whether this reasoning is correct or not, however, brings up a similar
question:

Unlike Concealed/Disguised Weapon, Charming Lobby and Pack Alpha, that
state to 'play/employ' a card from your hand (effectively 'playing' two
cards), Storage Annex states that when you play it you "put" a card on
it. I would imagine that this should also burn a Visit's counter, but
it's all about the phrasing. Sheesh, Scott, what an annoyance these
cards are! You must enjoy this game a lot!!

Robert Scythe, drunk as usual

LSJ

Apr 27, 2005, 6:22:37 AM4/27/05
Robert Scythe wrote:
>>#1: Frederick the Weak, through machinations too complex to detail here,
>>has a Spiritual Protector. He bleeds (for 5), and is blocked by Fatima.
>>Due to the Spiritual Protector, Fatima can't use her assault rifle.
>>However, after combat is over, if Fatima Psyche!'s, can she then use her
>>assault rifle -- ie, is she no longer the blocking minion?
>
> I believe that Fatima is the blocking minion for the entire action no
> matter how many separate combats happen or who participates (note Fast
> Reaction does not change the blocking minion only whom the acting
> minion will now fight, unlike Shilmulo Deception).

Correct.

>>#2: We all know that Visit from the Capuchin is the way to get out of
>>the DNR clauses on Events. How does Visit interact with burning cards
>>for Nightmares upon Nightmares? Does "burning" a card count as
>>discarding it, as far as Visit is concerned, so Visit loses counters, or
>>are the cards replaced?
>
> The only way to "burn" a card from hand would be to discard it, setting
> off the Visit's clause and therefore burning one of its counters.
> Whether this reasoning is correct or not, however, brings up a similar
> question:
>
> Unlike Concealed/Disguised Weapon, Charming Lobby and Pack Alpha, that
> state to 'play/employ' a card from your hand (effectively 'playing' two
> cards), Storage Annex states that when you play it you "put" a card on
> it. I would imagine that this should also burn a Visit's counter, but
> it's all about the phrasing.

Any card leaving your hand (except when discarding down to your hand
size) causes a Visit counter to be lost.

--
LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/