Announcement: Anarchs and Alastors Storyline League

vtes...@white-wolf.com

Jul 18, 2008, 2:27:56 PM7/18/08
The V:tes Storyline Series is back!

Details here...

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=news&articleid=984

-Ben Swainbank
V:tes Storyline Coordinator

jaykr...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2008, 3:09:35 PM7/18/08

from your article:

"WW02837 VTES: ANARCHS AND ALASTORS STORYLINE KIT ($7.99 US)
Contents of this storyline kit include:
• 50 cards for use in the storyline league
NOTE: Players need 7-9 booster packs to participate in this league.
Arrange to have that stock available with your retailer.

Retailer:

Thank you very much for supporting your local Vampire players.
White Wolf, Vampire and Vampire the Eternal Struggle are registered
trademarks of White Wolf Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Each WW02757 kit supports 5 players in a league, so multiple packs may
be required for larger tournaments. Furthermore, players need 7-9
booster packs for this event. Please have stock on hand.

After these tournaments are run the results should be submitted. See
www.white-wolf.com/VTES/ under Storyline Events for details.

When you place your next order with your White Wolf distributor, ask
your distributor’s salesmen to special order the WW02757 kits from
White Wolf. If you or your distributor have any questions they can
contact: "

Do I need WW02837, WW02757, or both?

thanks,

Jay Kristoff, V:EKN Prince of Columbus, Ohio USA

vtes...@white-wolf.com

Jul 18, 2008, 3:17:21 PM7/18/08
On Jul 18, 3:09 pm, jaykrist...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2:27 pm, vtesst...@white-wolf.com wrote:
>
> > The V:tes Storyline Series is back!
>
> Do I need WW02837, WW02757, or both?

There's only one kit product. You'll need 1 kit per "table" (per 4-5
players participating in the league).

The WW store has only the WW02837. I believe that is the correct #,
and the other is an error.

-Ben Swainbank

echia...@yahoo.com

Jul 19, 2008, 1:07:47 AM7/19/08
A few questions about the upcoming storyline:

#1. "Cards can be drafted from any set. Each player can choose which
sets he or she wishes to draft, and in what order they want to draft
the packs."

What happens if someone wants to draft cards from the Jyhad, V:TES,
Dark Sovereigns, Ancient Hearts, or Sabbat sets? I imagine that
drafting Sabbat packs would certainly be interesting to say the least
(not to mention the card advantage it would allow).

#2. Are the round/event-specific cards that you bid on usable only for
the storyline tournament (like the Nergal and Millennium Cultist
special cards) or are they normal cards that can be used in standard
VEKN tournaments?

#3. If the cards are legal outside of the promo event, then you could
have some interesting bidding behavior. There are a handful of decent
cards being reprinted: Trophies, Alastor, Vessel, Urban Jungle, Anarch
Railroad, and Seattle Committee all come to mind.

Are you allowed to bid 32 pool for a card? Say you want the card for
your collection, or you *really* want the card for your deck. Even
though such a bid might cause you to instantly lose this round, you
calculate that the card will substantially help you win the later
rounds. (Also the tournament isn't rated, and normally storyline
tourneys don't always encourage everyone to truly "play to win").

If you can bid 32 pool and you do, does your predator instantly gain 6
pool (which he can do use in the next bidding phase)?

If you cannot bid 32 pool, then what is the maximum amount of pool you
can legally bid? 31 pool?

#4. "Event reports should indicate the winning faction, choosing from
the following list: Camarilla, Sabbat, Independent, Laibon, Anarch, or
Imbued. The report should also indicate the winner's key minion."

How will this be monitored? When should a deck be classified as a
particular sect? Or if the winner chooses, what's to prevent him from
choosing a completely different faction? Similarly, it seems hard to
regulate one's choice for a "key minion." What's to keep someone from
choosing a key minion that doesn't even show up in the deck? (Everyone
should choose SMUDGE or TUPDOG or SAULOT as their key minion!)

Thanks!

Jozxyqk

Jul 19, 2008, 8:18:39 AM7/19/08
echia...@yahoo.com <echia...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> #4. "Event reports should indicate the winning faction, choosing from
> the following list: Camarilla, Sabbat, Independent, Laibon, Anarch, or
> Imbued. The report should also indicate the winner's key minion."

As a followup to Eric's question:
* Does the "key minion" have to be a crypt minion?
* Does the "key minion" have to be unique?

Can you choose:
* Tupdog?
* The Embrace?
* A specific Embrace?
* Mylan Horseed?
* Jake Washington?
* The Procurer?
* A specific Procurer?
* A Spell of Life Mummy?
* A Khazar's Diary Wraith?
* The Absimiliard's Army Ghoul?
* A specific Absimiliard's Army Ghoul (named On the Qui Vive, for example)?

Just a few examples.

Josh
Everyone should build Count Germaine Spell of Life decks for this event.

vtes...@white-wolf.com

Jul 19, 2008, 9:25:46 AM7/19/08
On Jul 19, 1:07 am, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> A few questions about the upcoming storyline:

Storylines Events are non-rated. So local event organizers have a lot
of latitude in how to handle the grey areas, modify the format, and
adjust the rules to suit their players, and balance flexible vs fair.

Some examples:

If an organizer doesn't think a multi-day league will work,, running
the League as a 3R+F event is fine.

If an oganizer is running it multi-day and wants to accomodate players
who miss a game, they can allow players to "catch-up" by forming draft
pods of 1 (sealed) or pods drafting with players drafting for non-
league purposes.

As to your specific questions....

> What happens if someone wants to draft cards from the Jyhad, V:TES,
> Dark Sovereigns, Ancient Hearts, or Sabbat sets? I imagine that
> drafting Sabbat packs would certainly be interesting to say the least
> (not to mention the card advantage it would allow).

Handling this is left up to the organizer. If they feel giving players
in some pods an extra card of Dark Sovereign dregs doesn't give them
an unfair advantage the orgainizer may just choose to allow it.
Letting the players draft 11 cads from the pack an puting the rest in
prize support would be another option.

> #2. Are the round/event-specific cards that you bid on usable only for
> the storyline tournament (like the Nergal and Millennium Cultist
> special cards) or are they normal cards that can be used in standard
> VEKN tournaments?

The auction cards are legal-for-play reprints.

> #3. If the cards are legal outside of the promo event, then you could
> have some interesting bidding behavior. There are a handful of decent
> cards being reprinted: Trophies, Alastor, Vessel, Urban Jungle, Anarch
> Railroad, and Seattle Committee all come to mind.
>
> Are you allowed to bid 32 pool for a card? Say you want the card for
> your collection, or you *really* want the card for your deck. Even
> though such a bid might cause you to instantly lose this round, you
> calculate that the card will substantially help you win the later
> rounds. (Also the tournament isn't rated, and normally storyline
> tourneys don't always encourage everyone to truly "play to win").

Play to win is still in effect, including during the auction phase.

> #4. "Event reports should indicate the winning faction, choosing from
> the following list: Camarilla, Sabbat, Independent, Laibon, Anarch, or
> Imbued. The report should also indicate the winner's key minion."
>
> How will this be monitored? When should a deck be classified as a
> particular sect? Or if the winner chooses, what's to prevent him from
> choosing a completely different faction?

The winner of each league is invited to choose the faction that is
best represented by their deck and a minion from that deck that had
the most impact.

If you win, and you want to report a non-crypt or non-unique minion,
sure, go ahead. Names that come up multiple times are likely to have
the most influence on the story. You are the worlds Methuselah. I am
but your humble chronicler. If it turns out that Underbridge Stray is
the secret weapon in the great Jyhad, it will be noted in the record
of these events.

-Ben Swainbank

librarian

Jul 19, 2008, 11:52:54 AM7/19/08
vtes...@white-wolf.com wrote:

If it turns out that Underbridge Stray is
> the secret weapon in the great Jyhad, it will be noted in the record
> of these events.
>
> -Ben Swainbank

Nice.

best -

chris

--
Super Fun Cards
www.superfuncards.com *NEW Website!*

Thrall of Arika

Jul 21, 2008, 2:08:51 PM7/21/08
On Jul 18, 10:07 pm, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>

wrote:
> A few questions about the upcoming storyline:
> #3. If the cards are legal outside of the promo event, then you could
> have some interesting bidding behavior. There are a handful of decent
> cards being reprinted: Trophies, Alastor, Vessel, Urban Jungle, Anarch
> Railroad, and Seattle Committee all come to mind.
>
> Are you allowed to bid 32 pool for a card? Say you want the card for
> your collection, or you *really* want the card for your deck. Even
> though such a bid might cause you to instantly lose this round, you
> calculate that the card will substantially help you win the later
> rounds. (Also the tournament isn't rated, and normally storyline
> tourneys don't always encourage everyone to truly "play to win").
>
> If you can bid 32 pool and you do, does your predator instantly gain 6
> pool (which he can do use in the next bidding phase)?
>
> If you cannot bid 32 pool, then what is the maximum amount of pool you
> can legally bid? 31 pool?

I think it's rather foolish to put yourself at such a disadvantage for
one card that _may_ help you in later rounds. It's one card, you could
not see the card at all in the following rounds. And why kill yourself
when all you need is to outbid? Unless another player is basically
'rare drafting' like this, you can just keep one-upping the bid until
the other player relents.

If Play-to-Win wasn't a factor, and since the game seems to have
started, as hand is drawn and vampires put into the uncontrolled
region, I'd say if someone bid all their pool, they would be ousted
when they pay it, giving their Predator a VP and 6 extra pool. Good
going, way to spoil the first game of an interesting tournament.

On Jul 19, 6:25 am, vtesst...@white-wolf.com wrote:
> The winner of each league is invited to choose the faction that is
> best represented by their deck and a minion from that deck that had
> the most impact.
>
> If you win, and you want to report a non-crypt or non-unique minion,
> sure, go ahead. Names that come up multiple times are likely to have
> the most influence on the story. You are the worlds Methuselah. I am
> but your humble chronicler. If it turns out that Underbridge Stray is
> the secret weapon in the great Jyhad, it will be noted in the record
> of these events.

I would hope most players are into the spirit of the event, rather
than trying to metagame for some hoped for power card. Most people
would be proud of the deck they managed to put together, and sing its
praises. I would certainly call bad form should the winner choose say
Saulot with no LoB drafted at all.

Even so, I think people's favourite vampires are far too varied. It
would be sad indeed if a non-drafted minion wins out, but I have faith
that the community will play in the spirit of the event.

Chris, Thrall of Arika