LSJ: question about Potio Martyrium (SPOILER)

Frederick Scott

Feb 4, 2010, 10:19:50 PM2/4/10
Potio Martyrium
Action
Requires Tremere or Tremere antitribu
+1 stealth action. Put this card on a Gargoyle enslaved to
this vampire's clan. If this Gargoyle is burned or sent to
torpor in combat, he or she burns and inflicts 3 aggravated
damage on the opposing minion and each retainer in combat.
A minion may have only one Potio Martyrium.

Does the damage occur in combat - when the recipient can
play a combat card to prevent (and/or use things like
Guardian Angel) or immediately after combat ends?

Fred

Dasein

Feb 4, 2010, 11:49:03 PM2/4/10

Good question. If the answer is "yes they can play combat prevent
cards", then what if the "being sent to torpor" that triggered the
Potio Martyrium occurred as part of an effect that ended combat? i.e.
a gargoyle with a serpentis card plays mummify? (Norm, I hope you're
already working on the decklist, heh). I'm guessing the 3 aggravated
damage still happens? But if it happened as a result of a strike that
ended combat, does the opposing minion still get to play combat cards
that can prevent damage? I would say not, since you can't prevent
catatonic fear damage with combat cards, but as always, IANLSJ.....

This could be a very amusing combo. Gargoyle turns into a mummy and
blows up. Everyone dies.

mirk

Feb 5, 2010, 3:28:53 AM2/5/10

I think the card text clearly states that the damage occurs during the
combat and only if it was sent to torpor/burned during the combat.
So i think the damage can be prevented and also gargoyle won't explode
after mummify.

LSJ

Feb 5, 2010, 8:07:54 AM2/5/10

Correct on all points.