Mayaparisatya Vs Weighted Walking Stick question (LSJ)

Stone

Nov 20, 2008, 1:34:55 PM11/20/08
Vampire A has a Weighted Walking Stick and is in combat with vampire B. A
strikes for 2 with the WWS ; B prevents 1 damage with an Indomitability for
example. I assume 1 counter goes off the WWS at that point, though I'm not
sure.
Can B, right after that, still play inferior Mayaparisatya ([chi] Damage the
opposing minion's weapons inflict on this vampire is reduced to zero during
this combat.) ? If the answer is yes, then the story ends with just 1
counter burned off the WWS, right ?
I guess it all boils down to whether a "damage reducing effect" (i.e.
Mayaparisatya) can be played *and* applied to the current strike resolution
once the damage prevention step has begun (since a Wolf Claws could be
played after playing the Indomitability, but without affecting the current
strike resolution, for example).
WWS text below.
thanks,
Stone

Weighted Walking Stick
Type: Combat
Only usable before range is determined on the first round.
Put this card on this minion and put 5 counters on this card. While in play,
this card represents a melee weapon (equipment) that does strength+1 damage
each strike. For each point of damage inflicted by this strike (even if
prevented), remove a counter from this card. Burn this card when it has no
counters. A minion can have only one Weighted Walking Stick.

Chris Berger

Nov 20, 2008, 1:43:32 PM11/20/08
On Nov 20, 12:34 pm, "Stone" <mc_judgest...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Vampire A has a Weighted Walking Stick and is in combat with vampire B. A
> strikes for 2 with the WWS ; B prevents 1 damage with an Indomitability for
> example. I assume 1 counter goes off the WWS at that point, though I'm not
> sure.
> Can B, right after that, still play inferior Mayaparisatya ([chi] Damage the
> opposing minion's weapons inflict on this vampire is reduced to zero during
> this combat.) ? If the answer is yes, then the story ends with just 1
> counter burned off the WWS, right ?
> I guess it all boils down to whether a "damage reducing effect" (i.e.
> Mayaparisatya) can be played *and* applied to the current strike resolution
> once the damage prevention step has begun (since a Wolf Claws could be
> played after playing the Indomitability, but without affecting the current
> strike resolution, for example).
> WWS text below.

IANALSJ, but no. You can't play Mayaparisatya after you've already
begun handling damage. It must be done before the damage is inflicted
(i.e. right up until strike resolution). Once you begin handling the
damage, you've missed your chance.

XZealot

Nov 20, 2008, 2:08:22 PM11/20/08
On Nov 20, 12:34 pm, "Stone" <mc_judgest...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Vampire A has a Weighted Walking Stick and is in combat with vampire B. A
> strikes for 2 with the WWS ; B prevents 1 damage with an Indomitability for
> example. I assume 1 counter goes off the WWS at that point, though I'm not
> sure.

No, the Weighted Walking Stick loses TWO counters.

> Can B, right after that, still play inferior Mayaparisatya ([chi] Damage the
> opposing minion's weapons inflict on this vampire is reduced to zero during
> this combat.) ?

Yes, he can play it, but it has no effect on strikes that have already
resolved. So you still have to handle the damage that was resolved by
either burning blood or preventing.

> If the answer is yes, then the story ends with just 1
> counter burned off the WWS, right ?

No, two counters are burned off the weighted walking stick as that
resolved, For any remaining strikes this combat teh Mayaparisita
reduced damage infllicted by the opposing minion's weapons to zero.

> I guess it all boils down to whether a "damage reducing effect" (i.e.
> Mayaparisatya) can be played *and* applied to the current strike resolution
> once the damage prevention step has begun (since a Wolf Claws could be
> played after playing the Indomitability, but without affecting the current
> strike resolution, for example).
> WWS text below.

You can play it, BUT it will have no effect on the current strike
resolution once damage resolution has occured.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

Thrall of Arika

Nov 20, 2008, 2:25:08 PM11/20/08

And would be very ineffective for what you want to do. WWS loses
counters for damage it inflicts. If you reduce that damage to 0, the
WWS doesn't inflict any damage, and doesn't lose any counters. And
since the cost of Mayaparistya is 2 blood, you're usually better off
to just take the hit and have 2 counters taken off WWS.

Also re-read the card text. WWS counter removal doesn't care about
prevention. So even if you prevent 1 point of damage with
Indomitability, the WWS still loses 2 counters, not just 1.

Chris, Thrall of Arika

LSJ

Nov 20, 2008, 3:53:59 PM11/20/08
XZealot wrote:
> On Nov 20, 12:34 pm, "Stone" <mc_judgest...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> Vampire A has a Weighted Walking Stick and is in combat with vampire B. A
>> strikes for 2 with the WWS ; B prevents 1 damage with an Indomitability for
>> example. I assume 1 counter goes off the WWS at that point, though I'm not
>> sure.
>
> No, the Weighted Walking Stick loses TWO counters.

Correct.

>> Can B, right after that, still play inferior Mayaparisatya ([chi] Damage the
>> opposing minion's weapons inflict on this vampire is reduced to zero during
>> this combat.) ?
>
> Yes, he can play it, but it has no effect on strikes that have already
> resolved. So you still have to handle the damage that was resolved by
> either burning blood or preventing.

Correct. Like Claws, as mentioned below.

>> If the answer is yes, then the story ends with just 1
>> counter burned off the WWS, right ?
>
> No, two counters are burned off the weighted walking stick as that
> resolved, For any remaining strikes this combat teh Mayaparisita
> reduced damage infllicted by the opposing minion's weapons to zero.

Correct about the two counters.

But also, the story doesn't end if ending the story means that you don't have to
handle that remaining point of damage (the one left over from the WWS strike
after preventing one with Indomitability).

That point still must be handled.

>> I guess it all boils down to whether a "damage reducing effect" (i.e.
>> Mayaparisatya) can be played *and* applied to the current strike resolution
>> once the damage prevention step has begun (since a Wolf Claws could be
>> played after playing the Indomitability, but without affecting the current
>> strike resolution, for example).
>> WWS text below.
>
> You can play it, BUT it will have no effect on the current strike
> resolution once damage resolution has occured.

Correct. Like Claws.

XZealot

Nov 20, 2008, 4:19:24 PM11/20/08

> Correct about the two counters.
>
> But also, the story doesn't end if ending the story means that you don't have to
> handle that remaining point of damage (the one left over from the WWS strike
> after preventing one with Indomitability).
>
> That point still must be handled.

Correct