[LSJ] champion

tma...@almadrava.net

Sep 30, 2008, 5:53:35 AM9/30/08
The other day during a tournament, the following situation happened:

Player A Roger Farnsworth attempted a Black Hand ritual against the
Unmasking, controlled by a player B with several imbued around, one of
them with Champion.

Player B claimed that he was able to use the champion ability to get
the action to fail and get in combat with the acting vampire. This
sounds quite odd as Champion only states that it ends actions directed
at the metuselah or any of his minions, not to cards controlled by the
given metuselah. The judge stated that as the Unmasking was being
controlled by player B, champion could be used to cancel that action.

Is there any ruling I've had overseen regarding Champion? Else the
same could be applied to locations and any other cards controlled by
the metuselah, and the wording of champion regarding "or minions you
control" is moot.

Blooded Sand

Sep 30, 2008, 6:27:32 AM9/30/08

Basic Netiquette 101 vis a vis VtES. When posting a card question,
please include the text of said cards.

Champion
Type: Power
Requires: Defense
[REACTION] [2 CONVICTION] Only usable when a monster controlled by
another Methuselah is taking a (D) action against you or against an
imbued controlled by any player. The action fails and the acting
monster enters combat with this imbued instead.

LSJ

Sep 30, 2008, 6:37:58 AM9/30/08
tma...@almadrava.net wrote:
> The other day during a tournament, the following situation happened:
>
> Player A Roger Farnsworth attempted a Black Hand ritual against the
> Unmasking, controlled by a player B with several imbued around, one of
> them with Champion.
>
> Player B claimed that he was able to use the champion ability to get
> the action to fail and get in combat with the acting vampire. This
> sounds quite odd as Champion only states that it ends actions directed
> at the metuselah or any of his minions,

No. It says against him or against an imbued controlled by anyone.

> not to cards controlled by the
> given metuselah.

Actions against a card a Methuselah controls is directed at that Methuselah.

> The judge stated that as the Unmasking was being
> controlled by player B, champion could be used to cancel that action.

Correct.

> Is there any ruling I've had overseen regarding Champion? Else the
> same could be applied to locations and any other cards controlled by
> the metuselah,

Correct.

> and the wording of champion regarding "or minions you
> control" is moot.

That text would be moot, but it is not the text on the card.
The text on the card extends Champions to be usable on an action against any
imbued anywhere on the table (controlled by any Methuselah) in addition to any
action directed at the Methuselah playing the Champion (the latter include
actions directed at anything she controls).

v.ri...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2008, 7:07:26 AM9/30/08

> Is there any ruling I've had overseen regarding Champion? Else the
> same could be applied to locations and any other cards controlled by
> the metuselah, and the wording of champion regarding "or minions you
> control" is moot.

It's not moot since the correct card text is " (D) action against you
or against an
imbued controlled *by any player*. "

A (D) action against a card you control is also considered to be a (D)
action against you.