Powerbase: L.A. some oddities and queries

1 vue

Robert Scythe

non lue,
1 juin 2004, 06:24:0501/06/2004
First off, this was an incredibly entertaining event, hats off to
Courtois and Goudie for making it so. Amongst the laughter,
frustration, sly smiles, looks of disgust, annoying diatribe, annoying
monotribe, desperate deal-making, opportunitive back-stabbing, great
strategems, bad luck, and awe inspiring TOP-DECK SKILLS, a Jyhad could
not be better well-defined or experienced. But, as the subject title
suggests, some incidents within require some notable attention:

Longest delay withing a round - a need for a judge ruling on weather a
vampire newly tempted ( Temptation action ) with one blood on it can
be Heidelberged extra blood to delay its temporary change of control.
This resolution would seem simpler than it appears due to official
rulings regarding the HC, so a confirmation on this scenario would be
appreciated.

Longest delay within a Final - The need for a player to 'black-back'
sleeve his library due to the fact that he had a mixed set of cards
from 'Jyhad' and 'Vampire' and was using Anatole's ability. There was
never a question of cheating involved, it was just the idea of an
accidental advantage due to the knowledge of which cards had been seen
and can be identified due to the printed set; 'Jyhad' cards can be
identified by back or face, so if only one 'Jyhad' card (or only one
'Vampire' card) was included in the top five, that information could
be used advantageously. Examples " I need at least 3 stealth to get
by this minion, and I see that on the top of my library is a 'Jyhad'
card, hmmmm, the only 'Jyhard' card that Anatole gave me a gander at
was a 'Lost In Crowds' so I'll go for it" or "There is a 'Vampire'
card on the top of my deck and that is not the card that I will need
to even attempt this action".

Most conjectured and discussed scenario that never came into play -
Whether a Darkling Trickery played on a Flame Thrower strike would
negate the opportunity for a Rotschrek to be played. I am pretty
certain of the correct answer but this one is for the edification of
the wonderful Tatu's ( not only great V:TES players but 2 of the
nicest, easy-going people you may ever meet ).

Scariest vampire during 3 days of continual V:TES - Arika with a Ghoul
Retainer and 2 Assault Rifles! Not only is she broken but she can
beat the shit out of you without a PTO!

Due to my touring schedules I do not get to play Jyhad as often as I'd
like to, but when I do I am very appreciative to have in my local
playgroup the likes of Paul Johnson, Mike Courtois, Darby Keenan,
Robert Goudie , Steve Bucy, Dennis Lien,and the newly relocated Alex
Harmon amongst many other dedicated, competitive and innovative V:TES
players (experienced and new).

Robert Scythe

LSJ

non lue,
1 juin 2004, 07:03:0801/06/2004
Robert Scythe wrote:
> Longest delay withing a round - a need for a judge ruling on weather a
> vampire newly tempted ( Temptation action ) with one blood on it can
> be Heidelberged extra blood to delay its temporary change of control.
> This resolution would seem simpler than it appears due to official
> rulings regarding the HC, so a confirmation on this scenario would be
> appreciated.

Not if the Temptation were done under normal (non Madness Network)
conditions, no. The acting Methuselah gets first chance to play the
next effect (activating the Temptation).

> Most conjectured and discussed scenario that never came into play -
> Whether a Darkling Trickery played on a Flame Thrower strike would
> negate the opportunity for a Rotschrek to be played. I am pretty
> certain of the correct answer but this one is for the edification of
> the wonderful Tatu's ( not only great V:TES players but 2 of the
> nicest, easy-going people you may ever meet ).

It based on timing [1.6.1.6]
Google: "darkling rotschreck author:LSJ"

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Reyda

non lue,
1 juin 2004, 10:36:1901/06/2004

"Robert Scythe" <robert...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> First off, this was an incredibly entertaining event, hats off to
> Courtois and Goudie for making it so. Amongst the laughter,
> frustration, sly smiles, looks of disgust, annoying diatribe, annoying
> monotribe, desperate deal-making, opportunitive back-stabbing, great
> strategems, bad luck, and awe inspiring TOP-DECK SKILLS, a Jyhad could
> not be better well-defined or experienced.

argh !
i should have been there !
i didn't play for several weeks and words from the glendale vtes night are
still there in my mind...

> Longest delay withing a round - a need for a judge ruling on weather a
> vampire newly tempted ( Temptation action ) with one blood on it can
> be Heidelberged extra blood to delay its temporary change of control.

and Robert, you were the one tempting all the vampire on the table like a
crazy snake eh ? ;)

> Scariest vampire during 3 days of continual V:TES - Arika with a Ghoul
> Retainer and 2 Assault Rifles! Not only is she broken but she can
> beat the shit out of you without a PTO!

and who did this little trick ? =)

> Due to my touring schedules I do not get to play Jyhad as often as I'd
> like to, but when I do I am very appreciative to have in my local
> playgroup the likes of Paul Johnson, Mike Courtois, Darby Keenan,
> Robert Goudie , Steve Bucy, Dennis Lien,and the newly relocated Alex
> Harmon amongst many other dedicated, competitive and innovative V:TES
> players (experienced and new).
>
> Robert Scythe

seconded ! i'm also glad i met you during my trip to L.A. =)

Robert Scythe

non lue,
1 juin 2004, 18:57:2401/06/2004
that's Darby Keeney not Keenan, sorry Darby.

Kulaid

non lue,
2 juin 2004, 00:27:5902/06/2004
"Reyda" <true_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40bc9476$0$1327$79c1...@nan-newsreader-05.noos.net>...

> "Robert Scythe" <robert...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > First off, this was an incredibly entertaining event, hats off to
> > Courtois and Goudie for making it so. Amongst the laughter,
> > frustration, sly smiles, looks of disgust, annoying diatribe, annoying
> > monotribe, desperate deal-making, opportunitive back-stabbing, great
> > strategems, bad luck, and awe inspiring TOP-DECK SKILLS, a Jyhad could
> > not be better well-defined or experienced.
>
> argh !
> i should have been there !
> i didn't play for several weeks and words from the glendale vtes night are
> still there in my mind...

It's the first time I saw somebody backstab in a mutual withdraw deal.
When you have half your deck and the other person is down to his last
7 card... Karma made him not win the tournament though...

> > Longest delay withing a round - a need for a judge ruling on weather a
> > vampire newly tempted ( Temptation action ) with one blood on it can
> > be Heidelberged extra blood to delay its temporary change of control.
>
> and Robert, you were the one tempting all the vampire on the table like a
> crazy snake eh ? ;)

How was this ruled? I would think that it would depend who said what
first. The moment the player controlling the temptation says I'll
burn all the counters, the controller of the tempted vampire doesn't
control the vampire to heidelberg. But if you heidelberg the moment
the action is complete before the acting vampire says he'll burn off
all the counters, I think that'll be ok...

> > Scariest vampire during 3 days of continual V:TES - Arika with a Ghoul
> > Retainer and 2 Assault Rifles! Not only is she broken but she can
> > beat the shit out of you without a PTO!
>
> and who did this little trick ? =)

Robert Scythe's Arika multi rush deck... Was very scary... But let's
do the pool math... 11 for arika, 2 GR, 5 x 2 assualt rifle....
That's 23 pool on 1 vampire? Ouch... Course that's what minion taps
and taste are for.

Robert Scythe

non lue,
2 juin 2004, 05:23:0602/06/2004
"Reyda" <true_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40bc9476$0$1327$79c1...@nan-newsreader-05.noos.net>...
> "Robert Scythe" <robert...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > First off, this was an incredibly entertaining event, hats off to
> > Courtois and Goudie for making it so. Amongst the laughter,
> > frustration, sly smiles, looks of disgust, annoying diatribe, annoying
> > monotribe, desperate deal-making, opportunitive back-stabbing, great
> > strategems, bad luck, and awe inspiring TOP-DECK SKILLS, a Jyhad could
> > not be better well-defined or experienced.
>
> argh !
> i should have been there !
> i didn't play for several weeks and words from the glendale vtes night are
> still there in my mind...
>
> > Longest delay withing a round - a need for a judge ruling on weather a
> > vampire newly tempted ( Temptation action ) with one blood on it can
> > be Heidelberged extra blood to delay its temporary change of control.
>
> and Robert, you were the one tempting all the vampire on the table like a
> crazy snake eh ? ;)

It wasn't me this time, really. Alex was the one who played the Tempt
in question. I only played one Serpentis/Setite deck in one of the
tournaments ( I wanted to throw everyone off). I do regret not playing
the Nehsi/Saqqaf Multi-Action Nightmare deck, but I had taken it apart
to make a new Gehenna deck and was too lazy to put it back together in
time for the event.

> > Scariest vampire during 3 days of continual V:TES - Arika with a Ghoul
> > Retainer and 2 Assault Rifles! Not only is she broken but she can
> > beat the shit out of you without a PTO!
>
> and who did this little trick ? =)

Well, I wasn't going to say but since you asked, it was
Yours Truly. The 2nd assault rifle was expensive and unnecessary but
the opportunity was outstandingly entertaining and I could not resist.
It's my Arika mult-rush deck but that little trick cost me the game
since the whole table had to intervene with what they could to stop
it, especially after watching my prey's 2 big Tzimisce (Little Taylor
and I think it was Meshenka) get blasted into torpor on the same turn
when they both had 7 to 8 blood on them (apologies again, Darby). With
the Ghoul Retainer, Fortitude, and Thoughts Betrayed she can counter
so many combat situations it's sick. She was a little more subtle in
sweeping the next round that took her to a nutty Final.

> > Due to my touring schedules I do not get to play Jyhad as often as I'd
> > like to, but when I do I am very appreciative to have in my local
> > playgroup the likes of Paul Johnson, Mike Courtois, Darby Keenan,
> > Robert Goudie , Steve Bucy, Dennis Lien,and the newly relocated Alex
> > Harmon amongst many other dedicated, competitive and innovative V:TES
> > players (experienced and new).
> >
> > Robert Scythe
>
> seconded ! i'm also glad i met you during my trip to L.A. =)

Seconded as well! Nice to hear from you again, Reyda. Hope the next
time we play together will not be too far in the future.

Robert Scythe

Darby Keeney

non lue,
2 juin 2004, 21:34:5602/06/2004