(LSJ) Victim of Habits questions

floppyzedolfin

Apr 13, 2010, 9:18:14 AM4/13/10

1 - I played Victim of Habits and chose a card's name (from the list
of cards in my prey's ash heap).
When my prey is ousted, this Victim of Habit remains in play, and can
still be used on my new prey (to remove from play cards with the same
name in her ash heap), right ?

2 - I played Victim of Habit and selected "On the Qui Vive".
During my prey's untap phase, there is only 1 card with name "On the
Qui Vive" in her ash heap. Can I tap Victim of Habit to remove that
card from her ash heap ? Would that make her burn 1 pool ?
I'd say I can use it. Not sure at all about whether prey burns pool
(though I don't think so).

Thanks.

~~

Victim of Habit
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
+1 stealth action.
Put this card in play and choose a card in your prey's ash heap by
name. During any Methuselah's untap phase, you may tap this card to
remove three copies of the chosen card in your prey's ash heap from
the game to cause your prey to burn 1 pool.

Sim

Apr 13, 2010, 9:34:17 AM4/13/10
1 Yes.

2 No. If you can not do X then nothing, no halfway stuff happen. If
there are not 3 of that card in the prey's ash heap then no tapping at
all.

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 9:37:07 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 9:18 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1 - I played Victim of Habits and chose a card's name (from the list
> of cards in my prey's ash heap).
> When my prey is ousted, this Victim of Habit remains in play, and can
> still be used on my new prey (to remove from play cards with the same
> name in her ash heap), right ?

Yes.

> 2 - I played Victim of Habit and selected "On the Qui Vive".
> During my prey's  untap phase, there is only 1 card with name "On the
> Qui Vive" in her ash heap. Can I tap Victim of Habit to remove that
> card from her ash heap ? Would that make her burn 1 pool ?
> I'd say I can use it. Not sure at all about whether prey burns pool
> (though I don't think so).

No, you can't use it. It isn't "remove up to three copies".

Salem

Apr 14, 2010, 8:46:19 AM4/14/10
LSJ wrote:
> On Apr 13, 9:18 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2 - I played Victim of Habit and selected "On the Qui Vive".
>> During my prey's untap phase, there is only 1 card with name "On the
>> Qui Vive" in her ash heap. Can I tap Victim of Habit to remove that
>> card from her ash heap ? Would that make her burn 1 pool ?
>> I'd say I can use it. Not sure at all about whether prey burns pool
>> (though I don't think so).
>
> No, you can't use it. It isn't "remove up to three copies".

this seems contrary to the villein ruling for vampires with less than 2
blood.

--
salem

Jozxyqk

Apr 14, 2010, 9:20:42 AM4/14/10

Not to me..
If Villein said "Burn 2 or more blood from target vampire **TO** gain that
much pool", then you wouldn't be able to take less than 2, because it's
a part of the cost.
But it's just an effect.

Victim of Habit's text is a "do X to do Y" template, so X must happen in
order for Y to happen.

floppyzedolfin

Apr 14, 2010, 9:46:18 AM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 3:20 pm, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> Victim of Habit's text is a "do X to do Y" template, so X must happen in
> order for Y to happen.

I read Victim of Habit as a "do X to do Y to do Z" template. It wasn't
clear to me if it was "do (X and Y) to do Z" (which it is) or "do X to
do Y; and if Y was done, do Z" (which I thought it was, but that may
be because I'm French).

Couldn't really find another "do X to do Y to do Z" card.

LSJ

Apr 14, 2010, 10:57:41 AM4/14/10

Only in that burn blood effects target the minion, not the counters
whereas remove these copies of a card target those cards, not the ash
heap.

That is, it's a standard disparity. Blood counters are targeted
themselves: the minion is the target.

Salem

Apr 15, 2010, 6:34:00 PM4/15/10

assuming you meant "blood counters _aren't_ targeted themselves", then I
think I am finally past the mental hurdle that allows me to accept the
villein ruling as making sense. cheers :)

--
salem