Yawp and Wake

wumpus

Feb 8, 2008, 12:56:14 PM2/8/08
Howdy,

I'm wondering about the language on Yawp Court:

"Tap when a political action is successful, before the referendum, to
have a ready untapped Sabbat vampire you control tap and enter combat
with the acting vampire. If the acting vampire is still ready at the
end of combat, the Sabbat vampire takes 2 damage, and the referendum
is conducted as normal."

In particular, when it says, "have a ready untapped Sabbat vampire you
control tap and enter combat," is that language equivalent to 'tap
_to_ enter combat' (requiring the tap as a cost, and thus requiring
the vampire to actually be untapped), or is that equivalent to the
language on Car Bomb, etc. (with the tap as an effect, and thus
useable by a 'waked' vampire 'as if untapped').

The explicit 'untapped' makes me think the former, but the lack of
explicit 'to' makes me think the latter. Although... Actually the
language on wakes only allows play of reaction and/or blocking, so I'm
going to guess even a wake wouldn't help?

Thanks,
Alex

Thrall of Arika

Feb 8, 2008, 1:13:24 PM2/8/08

I would say it's a moot question. Yawp Court needs to select an actual
untapped vampire, not just one that can react as if untapped ... they
are still actually tapped.

As well, the Yawp Court ability isn't a reaction card, nor is it a
block attempt ... the political action needs to be successful
(unblocked) by card text. So I don't believe any of the wake cards
could be used to assist.

Chris, Thrall of Arika

Rehlow

Feb 8, 2008, 1:28:16 PM2/8/08
On Feb 8, 12:13 pm, Thrall of Arika <christopher.ack...@amec.com>
wrote:
> Chris, Thrall of Arika- Hide quoted text -

Eluding the Arms of Morpheus isn't technically a "wake" card, but you
could play it during block attempts, untap, attempt to block, most
likely fail since the political action is probably at +1 stealth and
you are at 0 intercept, and then you would still be untapped when you
want to use Yawp Court.

Later,
~Rehlow

LSJ

Feb 8, 2008, 1:40:36 PM2/8/08
Thrall of Arika wrote:
> On Feb 8, 9:56 am, wumpus <wump...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I'm wondering about the language on Yawp Court:
>> In particular, when it says, "have a ready untapped Sabbat vampire you
>> control tap and enter combat," is that language equivalent to 'tap
>> _to_ enter combat' (requiring the tap as a cost, and thus requiring
>> the vampire to actually be untapped), or is that equivalent to the
>> language on Car Bomb, etc. (with the tap as an effect, and thus
>> useable by a 'waked' vampire 'as if untapped').
>>
>> The explicit 'untapped' makes me think the former, but the lack of
>> explicit 'to' makes me think the latter. Although... Actually the
>> language on wakes only allows play of reaction and/or blocking, so I'm
>> going to guess even a wake wouldn't help?
>
> I would say it's a moot question. Yawp Court needs to select an actual
> untapped vampire, not just one that can react as if untapped ... they
> are still actually tapped.

Correct. The explicit "untapped" makes it the former, indeed.

Orpheus

Feb 9, 2008, 5:29:27 AM2/9/08

Can you play a card that untaps as a reaction and then enter combat through
the Yawp ?

--
Orpheus, unofficial Shemti model.

LSJ

Feb 9, 2008, 8:06:28 AM2/9/08

If a minion is a ready untapped Sabbat vampire, it can be chosen, since that's
exactly what card text specifies.

Orpheus

Feb 9, 2008, 8:40:25 AM2/9/08

Sure, I just wanted to make sure that you had the time window to use a
reaction to untap ; in your answer I understant that you do.

LSJ

Feb 9, 2008, 1:03:55 PM2/9/08
Orpheus wrote:
> LSJ wrote:

>> Orpheus wrote:
>>> Can you play a card that untaps as a reaction and then enter combat
>>> through the Yawp ?
>> If a minion is a ready untapped Sabbat vampire, it can be chosen,
>> since that's exactly what card text specifies.
>
> Sure, I just wanted to make sure that you had the time window to use a
> reaction to untap ; in your answer I understant that you do.

Well, you didn't say what reaction you're using, so the answer assumes there is
one that is legal to play.