Open rules questions for LSJ

1 view

Petri Wessman

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Here are some rules questions I've posted before but which I haven't
heard anything "official" about. Are there any rulings/errata/whatever
that cover these? Thanks.

//Petri

-----------------------------------(snip)-----------------------------------

Open VTES rules questions

Here are some VTES/Jyhad rules and card questions that I haven't gotten an
official answer for yet:

* What does the card text "remove from play" mean, exactly?

Case 1: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause a Wolf Companion
(non-unique) to be removed from the game.

o Are other Wolf Companions in play removed as well? (I assume not)
o Can a new Wolf Companion be retained later in the game? (I assume
yes)

Case 2: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause Mr.Winthrop (unique) to be
removed from the game.

o Can Mr.Winthrop be retained later in the game? (I assume not)

Case 3: Innocent Bystander causes Ozmo to be removed from the game.

o Can Ozmo be brought into play later? (I assume not)
o What happens if a copy of Ozmo is already in play? Does it ignore
"being out of the game"? Does it get burned? (no clue
whatsoever...)

* "Faceless Night" versus "Atonement": in the following play

1. Minion A (capacity 4) tries to bleed at +1 stealth (some card
effect)
2. Minion B (capacity 5) with Atonement blocks
3. Minion A plays Faceless Night at superior
4. Minion B has no more intercept and the block fails

does Minion B get tapped or not? Faceless night has the card text "+1
stealth, and tap any vampire that attempts to block this action
regardless of whether the block is successful" while Atonement has the
text "... He or she does not tap when blocking a vampire of the same
age or younger...". Which card text wins?

* "Blessing of Chaos": does the effect apply even if the block fails? In
other words, in the following play

1. Minion A tries to bleed
2. Minion B with BofC tries to block
3. Minion A adds stealth
4. Minion B has not intercept and the block fails

can Minion A now play Dominate (and other) modifiers or not?

LSJ

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <7xvhtd7...@termiitti.akumiitti.fi>,

Petri Wessman <or...@termiitti.akumiitti.fi> wrote:

> Here are some rules questions I've posted before but which I haven't
> heard anything "official" about. Are there any rulings/errata/whatever
> that cover these? Thanks.

DejaNews doesn't show any previous posts from you on the subject of
"remove from play", as far as I can tell.

Perhaps there was a problem with your news server delivering these
messages.

As to the atonement and blessing questions, dejanews shows them,
but I missed them - probably because they came in at the start
of my last scheduled absence (3/5/98 - 3/10/98) and rolled off of
my server before I got a chance to read them. Sorry about that.

> * What does the card text "remove from play" mean, exactly?

Remove the card from the game. That card can no longer affect or be affected
by anything in the game.

> Case 1: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause a Wolf Companion
> (non-unique) to be removed from the game.
>
> o Are other Wolf Companions in play removed as well? (I assume not)
> o Can a new Wolf Companion be retained later in the game? (I assume
> yes)

Your assumptions are correct.

> Case 2: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause Mr.Winthrop (unique) to be
> removed from the game.
>
> o Can Mr.Winthrop be retained later in the game? (I assume not)

If there's another Mr. Winthrop card, sure. Only the specific instance
of the card is removed from the game.

> Case 3: Innocent Bystander causes Ozmo to be removed from the game.
>
> o Can Ozmo be brought into play later? (I assume not)
> o What happens if a copy of Ozmo is already in play? Does it ignore
> "being out of the game"? Does it get burned? (no clue
> whatsoever...)

Other copies of Ozmo are unaffected if one copy is removed from the game
(except that there's one less Ozmo to contest with).

> * "Faceless Night" versus "Atonement": in the following play
>
> 1. Minion A (capacity 4) tries to bleed at +1 stealth (some card
> effect)
> 2. Minion B (capacity 5) with Atonement blocks
> 3. Minion A plays Faceless Night at superior
> 4. Minion B has no more intercept and the block fails
>
> does Minion B get tapped or not? Faceless night has the card text "+1
> stealth, and tap any vampire that attempts to block this action
> regardless of whether the block is successful" while Atonement has the
> text "... He or she does not tap when blocking a vampire of the same
> age or younger...". Which card text wins?

Short (misleading) Answer: Faceless Night wins.

The cards are not competing. Faceless Night taps the minion who attempts
to block, whether or not the block succeeds. This is in addition to the fact
that blocking an action results in the blocker tapping. Atonement alters
the latter (so that the minion doesn't tap when blocking), but says nothing
about not being tapped by other means - like Faceless Night.

> * "Blessing of Chaos": does the effect apply even if the block fails? In

Yes.

> other words, in the following play
>
> 1. Minion A tries to bleed
> 2. Minion B with BofC tries to block
> 3. Minion A adds stealth
> 4. Minion B has not intercept and the block fails
>
> can Minion A now play Dominate (and other) modifiers or not?

Not.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

James Coupe

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In article <7xvhtd7...@termiitti.akumiitti.fi>, Petri Wessman
<or...@termiitti.akumiitti.fi> writes

>Open VTES rules questions
>
>Here are some VTES/Jyhad rules and card questions that I haven't gotten an
>official answer for yet:
>
> * What does the card text "remove from play" mean, exactly?

As far as I'm concerned, the text means that the card is taken to a
separate ash-heap where no further in game effects can touch it - so you
can't Carlotta it back or, in the case of Redeem the Lost Soul, redeem
it again.

> Case 1: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause a Wolf Companion
> (non-unique) to be removed from the game.
>
> o Are other Wolf Companions in play removed as well? (I assume not)

I would assume not also. I don't see card text to support it.

> o Can a new Wolf Companion be retained later in the game? (I assume
> yes)

Using a different copy of the card, yes.

> Case 2: Pathos counters from Ambrosius cause Mr.Winthrop (unique) to be
> removed from the game.
>
> o Can Mr.Winthrop be retained later in the game? (I assume not)

Yes, he can - but it has to be using a different copy of him. This copy
of him is sitting in a "Cannot be touched" pile so you can't Carlotta it
back.

> Case 3: Innocent Bystander causes Ozmo to be removed from the game.
>
> o Can Ozmo be brought into play later? (I assume not)

Yes, he could, using a different copy of Ozmo.

> o What happens if a copy of Ozmo is already in play? Does it ignore
> "being out of the game"? Does it get burned? (no clue
> whatsoever...)

Only this copy of the card is removed from the game, not all other
copies of it floating round.

> * "Faceless Night" versus "Atonement": in the following play
>
> 1. Minion A (capacity 4) tries to bleed at +1 stealth (some card
> effect)
> 2. Minion B (capacity 5) with Atonement blocks
> 3. Minion A plays Faceless Night at superior
> 4. Minion B has no more intercept and the block fails
>
> does Minion B get tapped or not? Faceless night has the card text "+1
> stealth, and tap any vampire that attempts to block this action
> regardless of whether the block is successful" while Atonement has the
> text "... He or she does not tap when blocking a vampire of the same
> age or younger...". Which card text wins?

Faceless Night, I think. Atonement keeps you untapped from the
successful block. Faceless Night just taps them - not because of a
successful block.

> * "Blessing of Chaos": does the effect apply even if the block fails? In

> other words, in the following play
>
> 1. Minion A tries to bleed
> 2. Minion B with BofC tries to block
> 3. Minion A adds stealth
> 4. Minion B has not intercept and the block fails
>
> can Minion A now play Dominate (and other) modifiers or not?

If the vampire
with this card attempts to block another vampire,
that vampire cannot play action modifiers requiring
Dementation, Dominate, Presence, or Chimerstry.

It's only if he attempts to block - not while he is attempting to block.
So no, Dominate modifiers can't be played.

--

James Coupe (change "nospam" to "obeah" to reply by e-mail)

You were my strength when I was weak. You were my voice when I couldn't speak.
You were my eyes when I couldn't see. You saw the best there was in me. Lifted
me up when I couldn't reach. You gave me faith because you believed. I'm
everything I am because you loved me.