LSJ: Bear-baiting question(s)

John Flournoy

Mar 9, 2004, 2:33:04 PM3/9/04
When you have played Bear-baiting during an action, either the combat is
cancelled with the card being placed on the vampire, or the vampire takes 1
unpreventable damage and then combat proceeds.

Can you then play Change of Target immediately after having determined that
combat would proceed and after the damage has resolved?

Can you play it immediately after determining that the combat is cancelled,
since the action itself is not explicitly cancelled and the opposing minion
is still considered to have blocked?

-John Flournoy

LSJ

Mar 10, 2004, 6:42:07 AM3/10/04
John Flournoy wrote:
> When you have played Bear-baiting during an action, either the combat is
> cancelled with the card being placed on the vampire, or the vampire takes 1
> unpreventable damage and then combat proceeds.
>
> Can you then play Change of Target immediately after having determined that
> combat would proceed and after the damage has resolved?

Yes.

> Can you play it immediately after determining that the combat is cancelled,
> since the action itself is not explicitly cancelled and the opposing minion
> is still considered to have blocked?

No. The window for CoT will have passed in that case.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

mgreen02

Mar 12, 2004, 5:53:37 AM3/12/04
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<404EFF18...@white-wolf.com>...

> John Flournoy wrote:

> > Can you play it immediately after determining that the combat is cancelled,
> > since the action itself is not explicitly cancelled and the opposing minion
> > is still considered to have blocked?
>
> No. The window for CoT will have passed in that case.

That was not the answer given when I asked this question on the WW
forum in January. Lasombra, who answered, did not indicate that the
distinction between whether or not the combat occurred would have any
effect of the playing of Change of Target. Admittedly I did not ask
that specifically, I phrased the question in a 'can I use x with y
manner'.

Can I press you to explain why the outcome of Bear Baiting makes a
difference with respect to the use of CoT? It will lessen the pain of
my (apparently rash) recent purchase of a large number of Bear
Baitings.

Thanks.

Matt.

LSJ

Mar 12, 2004, 6:12:40 AM3/12/04

Looks like an oversight. Bear-Baiting and canceling combat will not
automatically move you to the end of the action (which is what I
had been thinking).

REVERSAL: You can play Change of Target after Bear-Baiting regardless
of which effect Bear-Baiting generates.