(LSJ) Parsing Loving Agony's cardtext

floppyzedolfin

Mar 2, 2010, 5:49:07 AM3/2/10
Hi LSJ,

We didn't agree on how to parse this cardtext:
Which one is it ?

a/ [this vampire may] [burn 1 blood to untap] [before combat ends]
(which could be read as "before combat ends, this vampire may burn 1
blood to untap")

b/ [this vampire may burn 1 blood] to [untap before combat ends]

If it is a/, then the acting vampire plying Loving Agony at sup' can
wait for the other vampire to declare his strike before he burns 1 to
untap. And he could maybe untap at any time in that round.
If it is b/, then the choice of burning 1 blood to untap is made (and
paid) at strike declaration.

Thanks,
Pascal

~~
Loving Agony
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Valeren/Animalism
Only usable at close range.
[ani] Strike: hand strike at +1 damage.
[val] Strike: combat ends and the opposing minion takes 1 damage.
[VAL] As [val] above, and this vampire may burn 1 blood to untap
before combat ends.

LSJ

Mar 2, 2010, 8:10:22 AM3/2/10
On Mar 2, 5:49 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi LSJ,
>
> We didn't agree on how to parse this cardtext:
> Which one is it ?
>
> a/ [this vampire may] [burn 1 blood to untap] [before combat ends]
> (which could be read as "before combat ends, this vampire may burn 1
> blood to untap")
>
> b/ [this vampire may burn 1 blood] to [untap before combat ends]
>
> If it is a/, then the acting vampire plying Loving Agony at sup' can
> wait for the other vampire to declare his strike before he burns 1 to
> untap. And he could maybe untap at any time in that round.
> If it is b/, then the choice of burning 1 blood to untap is made (and
> paid) at strike declaration.

It is a strike, so in either case, the choice is made after the other
minion's strike is declared.
Strikes do not resolve when played.

floppyzedolfin

Mar 2, 2010, 8:32:10 AM3/2/10
On Mar 2, 2:10 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> It is a strike, so in either case, the choice is made after the other
> minion's strike is declared.
> Strikes do not resolve when played.

I might not have asked precisely enough.

Does the resolution of this strike at VAL give you the possibility,
until the end of the current roud, to burn 1 blood to untap (a/) ?

Or is it that it forces you to chose to burn 1 blood (and has you burn
1 blood if you chose so) at strike resolution (closer to what I meant
with b/, though b/ was incorrect) ?

Here's an example where there would be a difference:

Dela Eden is in combat with another vampire.
They exchange initial strikes, Dela gains 1 additional strike and
plays sup' Loving Agony as the additional stirke. Could Dela play
Taste of Vitae (and gains 1 blood), and then use Loving Agony's
cardtext to untap (in the "end of round" window) ?

[Dela Eden has cel VAL]

LSJ

Mar 2, 2010, 9:48:03 AM3/2/10
On Mar 2, 8:32 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2:10 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
> > It is a strike, so in either case, the choice is made after the other
> > minion's strike is declared.
> > Strikes do not resolve when played.
>
> I might not have asked precisely enough.
>
> Does the resolution of this strike at VAL give you the possibility,
> until the end of the current roud, to burn 1 blood to untap (a/) ?

Well, since it also ends the round, it gives you the possibility,while
the round is ending, to burn one blood to untap, yes.

> Or is it that it forces you to chose to burn 1 blood (and has you burn
> 1 blood if you chose so) at strike resolution (closer to what I meant
> with b/, though b/ was incorrect) ?
>
> Here's an example where there would be a difference:
>
> Dela Eden is in combat with another vampire.
> They exchange initial strikes, Dela gains 1 additional strike and
> plays sup' Loving Agony as the additional stirke. Could Dela play
> Taste of Vitae (and gains 1 blood), and then use Loving Agony's
> cardtext to untap (in the "end of round" window) ?

Yes.