(LSJ) Momentary Delay vs "end combat"

floppyzedolfin

Feb 12, 2010, 8:21:35 AM2/12/10

Here's a list of examples of "things" that would end the combat,
divided in two groups : those which won't deny you the possibility of
playing Momentary Delay, and those that will. Is this division
correct ?

After one of these cards is played, the acting minion can still play
Momentary Delay (if the other requirements are matched) :
- Use Mariel, Lady Thunder's ability
- Play Rotschreck on the opposing vampire (if you're The Ankou, an
Enkil Cogged vampire or a Malkavian using Madness network)
- Inflicting enough damage to rhe opponent to send him to torpor

On the other side, if one of those is played or used, the acting
vampire can't play Momentary Delay:
- Majesty, sup' Form of Mist
- sup' Alpha Glint, burn Living Manse
- Anesthetic Touch, Autonomic Mastery
- Shroud of Absence's in-combat effect

I'm really not sure for more than half of those.. the fact that some
cards are worded "combat ends" and some others have "end combat" might
make these lists incorrect. I tried to guess "designer's intent".

Thanks,
Pascal

~~

Momentary Delay
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Requires a vampire with capacity 7 or more.
Only usable at the end of an action blocked by an ally or a vampire of
capacity 5 or less (after any combats). Not usable if more than one
round of combat has occured nor if this vampire has lost 3 or more
blood this action or ended combat before the press step. The action
continues as if unblocked.

Alpha Glint
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Animalism & Fortitude
Not usable in combat with an ally or an older vampire.
[ani][for] Strike: combat ends.
[ANI][FOR] Only usable before range is determined. Combat ends.

Anesthetic Touch
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Obeah/Auspex
Only usable at close range.
[aus] Strike: dodge.
[obe] Strike: hand strike. Combat ends immediately after the
resolution of this strike.
[OBE] As [obe] above, with first strike.

Autonomic Mastery
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable at close range.
[dom] Strike: burn the opposing non-wraith ally or a non-wraith
retainer on the opposing minion.
[DOM] Strike: hand strike. Damage from this strike is reduced to zero.
Combat ends immediately after this strike resolves, unless it is
dodged. Only usable in combat with a non-wraith ally or a younger
vampire.

Form of Mist
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Protean
[pro] Strike: dodge.
[PRO] Strike: combat ends. If this vampire is acting, he or she may
burn 1 blood after combat ends to continue the action at +1 stealth as
if unblocked (this action can still be blocked). A vampire may play
only one Form of Mist at superior each action.

Living Manse
Cardtype: Equipment
Clan: Tzimisce
Cost: 1 blood
This equipment card represents a location and does not count as an
equipment card while it is in play.
The vampire with this location gets +1 bleed. He or she can burn this
card before range is determined to end combat. A vampire may have only
one Living Manse.

Majesty
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Presence
[pre] Strike: combat ends.
[PRE] As above, and this vampire untaps before combat ends.

Mariel, Lady Thunder
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Malkavian
Group: 1
Capacity: 7
Discipline: aus tha DOM OBF
Camarilla: Before range is chosen in a combat that does not involve
Mariel, she may tap to end that combat and inflict 1 unpreventable
damage on each combatant and any retainers they have after combat
ends.

Rötschreck
Cardtype: Master
Master: out-of-turn. Frenzy.
Put this card on a vampire when an opposing minion attempts to inflict
aggravated damage on him or her, whether the damage would be
successfully inflicted or not. Combat ends. This vampire is tapped and
sent to torpor. This vampire does not untap as normal. During this
vampire's next untap phase, burn this card.

Shroud of Absence
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Dominate & Obtenebration
[dom][obt] +1 stealth.
[DOM][OBT] As [dom][obt] above, and if this action is blocked, this
vampire may end combat as a strike during the first round of combat.

LSJ

Feb 12, 2010, 8:49:45 AM2/12/10
On Feb 12, 8:21 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a list of examples of "things" that would end the combat,
> divided in two groups : those which won't deny you the possibility of
> playing Momentary Delay, and those that will. Is this division
> correct ?
>
> After one of these cards is played, the acting minion can still play
> Momentary Delay (if the other requirements are matched) :
> - Use Mariel, Lady Thunder's ability

Well, Mariel can't Momentary Delay, but the acting minion (who didn't
end combat) can. Card text.

> - Play Rotschreck on the opposing vampire (if you're The Ankou, an
> Enkil Cogged vampire or a Malkavian using Madness network)

Correct (no need for convolutions -- Rötschreck could simply be played
by other Methuselahs). Card text.

> - Inflicting enough damage to rhe opponent to send him to torpor

Yes.

> On the other side, if one of those is played or used, the acting
> vampire can't play Momentary Delay:
> - Majesty, sup' Form of Mist
> - sup' Alpha Glint, burn Living Manse
> - Anesthetic Touch, Autonomic Mastery
> - Shroud of Absence's in-combat effect

Correct. Card text.

> I'm really not sure for more than half of those.. the fact that some
> cards are worded "combat ends" and some others have "end combat" might
> make these lists incorrect. I tried to guess "designer's intent".

?
With the exception of sending to torpor, they're all just card text.
No guessing needed.