Mikael Birkholm (LSJ)

botipeti

May 11, 2010, 3:09:58 AM5/11/10

1) Am I allowed to search my library for the first aim card and when
found not use it?
2) When I'm searching the library where should I begin the search?
a) top - like Wast Wealth
b) bottom - the convenient way, because cards are face up
c) anywhere, I may as well randomly pick cards from the library
until I find an aim
3) While searching should I show the cards to the other players?
4) Let's assume there will be an aim card that costs pool or blood.
Should I/Mikhael pay the costs for that card?

Mikael Birkholm
Independent: When choosing a gun strike, Mikael may use the first aim
card found in your library (shuffle afterward). He cannot play cards
that require Celerity. +1 hand size. Scarce.

Vast Wealth
Master. Put this card on a ready minion you control. While you control
this minion, this minion can equip with the first piece of equipment
you find in your library (working down from the top) as a +1 stealth
action. (Pay cost to equip. ) Shuffle afterward.

Thx,
Peter

floppyzedolfin

May 11, 2010, 3:51:56 AM5/11/10
On May 11, 9:09 am, botipeti <botip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) Am I allowed to search my library for the first aim card and when
> found not use it?

I don't think so. If you decide to search for an aim card, you must
use the first one you find.

> 2) When I'm searching the library where should I begin the search?
>    a) top - like Wast Wealth
>    b) bottom - the convenient way, because cards are face up
>    c) anywhere, I may as well randomly pick cards from the library
> until I find an aim

I'd say the word "first" refers to "from top".

> 3) While searching should I show the cards to the other players?

No.

> 4) Let's assume there will be an aim card that costs pool or blood.
> Should I/Mikhael pay the costs for that card?

I don't think so. It doesn't say "play the card". I'd say it follows
the Inscription ruling (which, iirc, doesn't make the user pay for the
card).

However, here's another question :

5) a) Mikael plays a Target Vitals which gets cancelled on a strike.
Can Mikael use his ability to use an Aim card on that strike ?

5) b) If Mikael uses the first aim card found in library on a gun
strike, and if that aim card is cancelled, can he use his ability anew
on that strike?

> Mikael Birkholm
> Independent: When choosing a gun strike, Mikael may use the first aim
> card found in your library (shuffle afterward). He cannot play cards
> that require Celerity. +1 hand size. Scarce.
>
> Vast Wealth
> Master. Put this card on a ready minion you control. While you control
> this minion, this minion can equip with the first piece of equipment
> you find in your library (working down from the top) as a +1 stealth
> action. (Pay cost to equip. ) Shuffle afterward.
>
> Thx,
> Peter

Target Vitals
Cardtype: Combat
Aim. Play when choosing a strike.
If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the
opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this
strike, and he or she cannot press this round. The opposing minion may
discard two combat cards [COMBAT] to cancel this card. A minion may
play only one aim each strike.

Vincent

May 11, 2010, 4:03:50 AM5/11/10
On 11 mai, 09:51, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 9:09 am, botipeti <botip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > 1) Am I allowed to search my library for the first aim card and when
> > found not use it?
>
> I don't think so. If you decide to search for an aim card, you must
> use the first one you find.

The "may" may apply to the whole effect (search your library for the
first aim and use it) or to the "use" part (you search your library
for the first aim and may use it).
Vast Wealth is less ambiguous by using "can".

> However, here's another question :
>
> 5) a) Mikael plays a Target Vitals which gets cancelled on a strike.
> Can Mikael use his ability to use an Aim card on that strike ?

> 5) b) If Mikael uses the first aim card found in library on a gun
> strike, and if that aim card is cancelled, can he use his ability anew
> on that strike?

Apparently not
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/bbd88db92a5d5ca7/cd870ffc4e890ddc?lnk=gst&q=Mikael+aim#cd870ffc4e890ddc

LSJ

May 11, 2010, 6:42:25 AM5/11/10
On May 11, 3:51 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 9:09 am, botipeti <botip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 1) Am I allowed to search my library for the first aim card and when
> > found not use it?
>
> I don't think so. If you decide to search for an aim card, you must
> use the first one you find.

Correct.
It isn't "search". (Card text).

> > 2) When I'm searching the library where should I begin the search?
> >    a) top - like Wast Wealth
> >    b) bottom - the convenient way, because cards are face up
> >    c) anywhere, I may as well randomly pick cards from the library
> > until I find an aim
>
> I'd say the word "first" refers to "from top".

Correct (of course).

> > 3) While searching should I show the cards to the other players?
>
> No.

Correct.

> > 4) Let's assume there will be an aim card that costs pool or blood.
> > Should I/Mikhael pay the costs for that card?
>
> I don't think so. It doesn't say "play the card". I'd say it follows
> the Inscription ruling (which, iirc, doesn't make the user pay for the
> card).

Correct.

> However, here's another question :
>
> 5) a) Mikael plays a Target Vitals which gets cancelled on a strike.
> Can Mikael use his ability to use an Aim card on that strike ?

No.

> 5) b) If Mikael uses the first aim card found in library on a gun
> strike, and if that aim card is cancelled, can he use his ability anew
> on that strike?

No.

LSJ

May 11, 2010, 6:44:40 AM5/11/10
On May 11, 4:03 am, Vincent <v.rip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vast Wealth is less ambiguous by using "can".

?
"can" is equivalent to "may"

> > However, here's another question :
>
> > 5) a) Mikael plays a Target Vitals which gets cancelled on a strike.
> > Can Mikael use his ability to use an Aim card on that strike ?
> > 5) b) If Mikael uses the first aim card found in library on a gun
> > strike, and if that aim card is cancelled, can he use his ability anew
> > on that strike?
>

> Apparently nothttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_t...

Correct.

Blooded Sand

May 11, 2010, 6:53:04 AM5/11/10
On May 11, 12:44 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> "can" is equivalent to "may"

can means has the ability to.
may means has permission to.

not exactly equivalent

LSJ

May 11, 2010, 8:05:02 AM5/11/10

Always one in the crowd.

Of course, none of the card texts are using "can" to identify or
describe some ability a minion or Methuselah already has. And none of
the card texts are using "may" to impart permission to an ability a
minion or Methuselah is already capable of doing.

For purposes of card text (the subject at hand), they both are used
identically to grant the minion or Methuselah the use of an ability.

See also Merriam-Webster: "May: be free to -- used nearly
interchangeably with can".