Adaptability and Flesh of Marble (inferior)

Jozxyqk

Jun 1, 2006, 9:31:36 AM6/1/06
Adaptability at inferior says:
Change all aggravated damage from the opposing minion's strike to normal
damage.

Flesh of Marble at inferior says:
For the duration of the combat, when this vampire suffers a point of
damage (that he or she does not prevent) in a given round, any
additional damage inflicted on this vampire in the same round is
automatically prevented. Aggravated damage cannot be prevented in this
way.

Most "treat agg as normal" effects actually use the terminology "treat
as normal", including the change to Heart of Darkness in KMW. And that
has been ruled to mean that it is still aggravated damage for all other
effects.

But Adaptability still says "change". So is this sufficient to work
with inferior Flesh of Marble, to prevent multiple points of
formerly-aggravated damage (or with Soak, Leathery Hide, etc)?

LSJ

Jun 1, 2006, 9:58:11 AM6/1/06
Jozxyqk wrote:
> Adaptability at inferior says:
> Change all aggravated damage from the opposing minion's strike to normal
> damage.
>
> Flesh of Marble at inferior says:
> For the duration of the combat, when this vampire suffers a point of
> damage (that he or she does not prevent) in a given round, any
> additional damage inflicted on this vampire in the same round is
> automatically prevented. Aggravated damage cannot be prevented in this
> way.
>
> Most "treat agg as normal" effects actually use the terminology "treat
> as normal", including the change to Heart of Darkness in KMW. And that
> has been ruled to mean that it is still aggravated damage for all other
> effects.
>
> But Adaptability still says "change".

... since it hasn't been reprinted since SW, right.

> So is this sufficient to work
> with inferior Flesh of Marble, to prevent multiple points of
> formerly-aggravated damage (or with Soak, Leathery Hide, etc)?

Yes. (and Resilience, listed here for future Googling).

If the damage is converted before Rötschreck is played, that will
thwart Rötschreck, as well.
(It won't "cancel" an already-played Rötschreck, though, of course).

I've answered this plenty in email, but apparently never on USENET.
Odd.
Thanks for rectifying that, Josh.

Note to future Googlers: after Adaptability is next printed (assuming
I'm still in charge of the text when and if that ever happens), the
text will be brought into line (paralleling the other "treat aggravated
as normal" cards), so this post will be obsolete.

jeff...@pacbell.net

Jun 2, 2006, 2:58:40 AM6/2/06

Just an FYI, Fire Dance and Death Pact still also have the old template
(per monger):

Fire Dance
Requires a ready Priscus, Cardinal, or Archbishop. This is a +1 stealth
action. Put this card on a Sabbat vampire. Once each combat, the
vampire with this card may change one point of damage from aggravated
to normal. A vampire may have only 1 Fire Dance.

Death Pact
This card is an action card that becomes a retainer card. +1 stealth
action.
(D) Put this card on a ready vampire. If that vampire is burned, put
this card on the vampire who brought this card into play. This card
then represents a wraith with 2 life. Once each combat, the vampire
with this retainer may change one damage from aggravated to normal.
SUP: As above, but the retainer has 3 life.

Jeff