Q. Maxwells special

Sten During

Feb 2, 2003, 10:03:43 AM2/2/03
Maxwell has a special, or rather two:

Once each turn, Maxwell can burn a blood to get +1 stealth on an action
that requires Presence. If he doesn't have a title, he can call a
referendum to become the Prince of Chicago as a +1 stealth political
action.

The last one got me wondering.

Assume Maxwell has Clan Impersonated into a clan with a non-camarilla
default sect. We now have a titleless non-camarilla Maxwell.

Maxwell now takes the action allowed from his cardtext and calls the
referendum to become Prince of Chicago. What happens? (For simplicity
the referendum will go in Maxwells controllers favour)

1) He can't do it as he's not Camarilla.

2) He calls the referendum, but the outcome is moot as he's not
Camarilla.

3) He calls the referendum and becomes Prince of Chicago even though
he's no Camarilla, because his cardtext overrides the rules handling
sects and titles.

Sten During

The Lasombra

Feb 2, 2003, 10:59:18 AM2/2/03

#1 is correct.

Section 10 of the online rulebook.

A vampire must belong to the appropriate sect to receive a title.

You cannot take an action to become a Prince if you are prohibited
from becoming a Prince.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Sten During

Feb 2, 2003, 11:08:19 AM2/2/03
The Lasombra wrote:

>>Maxwell now takes the action allowed from his cardtext and calls the
>>referendum to become Prince of Chicago. What happens? (For simplicity
>>the referendum will go in Maxwells controllers favour)
>

>>1) He can't do it as he's not Camarilla.
>

> #1 is correct.
>
> Section 10 of the online rulebook.
>
> A vampire must belong to the appropriate sect to receive a title.
>

> You cannot take an action to become a Prince if you are prohibited
> from becoming a Prince.

Hmm, yup, the most sensible way of handling it, but having #1 as
correct contradicts section 1.4 of the same rulebook.

(Let's say that his text had been "take an action to become" then
1.4 would definitely have overruled 10 leaving us with an episode
during a game rather nicely mirroring Marcus Vitel in the novels.)

I was more or less 100% positive that #3 must be incorrect, but
according to 1.4 he ought to be allowed to call the referendum
even though no matter the outcome he would not be allowed to
receive the title.

Why would this difference make any point? Well, the player has
Maxwell ready and untapped and would very much like to use the hand
with 1 Bewitching Oration, 1 Awe and 1 Voter Captivation in
order to generate some nice bloat and get rid of three currently
useless cards at the same time.

Sten During

LSJ

Feb 2, 2003, 1:47:34 PM2/2/03
Sten During wrote:
> The Lasombra wrote:
> >>Maxwell now takes the action allowed from his cardtext and calls the
> >>referendum to become Prince of Chicago. What happens? (For simplicity
> >>the referendum will go in Maxwells controllers favour)
> >>1) He can't do it as he's not Camarilla.
> > #1 is correct.
> > Section 10 of the online rulebook.
> > A vampire must belong to the appropriate sect to receive a title.
> Hmm, yup, the most sensible way of handling it, but having #1 as
> correct contradicts section 1.4 of the same rulebook.

Maxwell's card text does nothing to override section 10 rules, so 1.4
doesn't come to bear here.

> (Let's say that his text had been "take an action to become" then
> 1.4 would definitely have overruled 10 leaving us with an episode
> during a game rather nicely mirroring Marcus Vitel in the novels.)

No, it still would say nothing abot overcoming the sect restriction.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sten During

Feb 2, 2003, 3:53:14 PM2/2/03
LSJ wrote:

>>(Let's say that his text had been "take an action to become" then
>>1.4 would definitely have overruled 10 leaving us with an episode
>>during a game rather nicely mirroring Marcus Vitel in the novels.)
>

> No, it still would say nothing abot overcoming the sect restriction.

Apart from definitely agreeing with #1 being the most sensible way
of handling Maxwell I beg to disagree about the strictly hypothetical
text above.

Maxwell should become Prince of Chicago with my hypothetical text
above, (assuming of course that entire text had been "if he doesn't
have a title he can take an action to become Prince of Chicago").

The following question would in that case be if his princedom
should be handled exactly the same way as if he had already
been a Prince when switching sect (ie being in need to switch sect
to Camarilla in order to receive the benefits from being a Prince).

And no, I'm not trying to neither troll, nor starting a flame about
what is not sensible, but 1.4 is quite specific - in some cases too
specific, so it could result in a Sabbat Prince of <city>, leaving
the problem of handling how to treat such a creature.

Sten During