Form of Mist and Marijava Ghoul

The Name Forgotten

Oct 14, 2006, 6:08:00 PM10/14/06
Here's a strange corner case example that I would like to query.

Aksinya recruits a Marijava Ghoul. Later she attempts to bleed via
Legal Manipulations. She is blocked by Hannigan (playing an eagle's
sight), and in the resulting combat, the Marijava Ghoul dies due to
both players playing weather control. When strikes are declared,
Aksinya declares [PRO] Form of Mist, and burns a blood to continue the
action.

Now my question is: Is Hannigan still considered to be blocking the
action? (In either/both the situation where Hannigan played a Forced
Awakening / simply blocked?)

In other words, could the player elect another blocker if s/he chooses?

I assume that s/he is free to choose another blocker (taking Mirror
Image as my example), but I cannot find a clear response to this
question.

(The person arguing against this says that since Form Of Mist considers
the minion fighting them as 'blocking' in terms of not allowing
additional stealth, then surely that minion is still considered
blocking after combat has concluded, resulting in the restarting of
combat.)

>From what I can understand (and excuse me for not being a
Mathematician, but a lowly Philosopher), when you burn the blood to
play FoM on [PRO], it checks the game state to see whether you need the
stealth, and in the case where the defender no longer has intercept
(because the raven spy died) then you cannot continue the action.

However, it seems to me that at the time the blood is burnt the blocker
(of the previous combat) is still considered to be blocking, but is
also considered to have failed his/her attempt at blocking and thus is
no longer blocking the action, although s/he is free to block again if
possible.

Timing wise:
Form of Mist played.
Check for Psyche's etc.
Option to burn blood to continue (check current intercept & stealth)
Block unsuccessful and action continues.
New blockers declared.

Am I correct?

The Name Forgotten

Oct 14, 2006, 6:08:20 PM10/14/06

The Name Forgotten

Oct 14, 2006, 7:08:15 PM10/14/06
Agh! Just read the White Wolf Forum post about Form Of Mist and Cat's
Guidance.

Alter what I said above from block fails and action continues, to block
concludes successfully and action continues. Otherwise still pretty
much seems the case.

Burn blood for form of mist.
Block is concluded successfully (Time to play Cat's)
Action continues as if unblocked.
Declare new blockers.

Is that right?

*Sigh* so confuzzling...

LSJ

Oct 15, 2006, 7:21:09 AM10/15/06
The Name Forgotten wrote:
> Here's a strange corner case example that I would like to query.
>
> Aksinya recruits a Marijava Ghoul. Later she attempts to bleed via
> Legal Manipulations. She is blocked by Hannigan (playing an eagle's
> sight), and in the resulting combat, the Marijava Ghoul dies due to
> both players playing weather control. When strikes are declared,
> Aksinya declares [PRO] Form of Mist, and burns a blood to continue the
> action.
>
> Now my question is: Is Hannigan still considered to be blocking the
> action?

No.

> (In either/both the situation where Hannigan played a Forced
> Awakening / simply blocked?)

No.

> In other words, could the player elect another blocker if s/he chooses?

Yes.

> I assume that s/he is free to choose another blocker (taking Mirror
> Image as my example), but I cannot find a clear response to this
> question.
>
> (The person arguing against this says that since Form Of Mist considers
> the minion fighting them as 'blocking' in terms of not allowing
> additional stealth, then surely that minion is still considered
> blocking after combat has concluded, resulting in the restarting of
> combat.)
>
>>From what I can understand (and excuse me for not being a
> Mathematician, but a lowly Philosopher), when you burn the blood to
> play FoM on [PRO], it checks the game state to see whether you need the
> stealth, and in the case where the defender no longer has intercept
> (because the raven spy died) then you cannot continue the action.

Correct.

> However, it seems to me that at the time the blood is burnt the blocker
> (of the previous combat) is still considered to be blocking, but is
> also considered to have failed his/her attempt at blocking and thus is
> no longer blocking the action, although s/he is free to block again if
> possible.
>
> Timing wise:
> Form of Mist played.
> Check for Psyche's etc.
> Option to burn blood to continue (check current intercept & stealth)
> Block unsuccessful and action continues.
> New blockers declared.
>
> Am I correct?

Yes, except that the block that led to the combat in which FoM was played was
successful. The action merely continues as if it were not.

LSJ

Oct 15, 2006, 7:23:30 AM10/15/06
The Name Forgotten wrote:
> Agh! Just read the White Wolf Forum post about Form Of Mist and Cat's
> Guidance.
>
> Alter what I said above from block fails and action continues, to block
> concludes successfully and action continues. Otherwise still pretty
> much seems the case.

FYI:
Your USENET post has no quoted text above (or below) -- it's bad form to depend
on Google or something to provide the context of a USENET post.

> Burn blood for form of mist.
> Block is concluded successfully (Time to play Cat's)
> Action continues as if unblocked.
> Declare new blockers.
>
> Is that right?
>
> *Sigh* so confuzzling...

Yes.

The Name Forgotten

Oct 15, 2006, 11:47:43 AM10/15/06

LSJ wrote:
> The Name Forgotten wrote:
> > Agh! Just read the White Wolf Forum post about Form Of Mist and Cat's
> > Guidance.
> >
> > Alter what I said above from block fails and action continues, to block
> > concludes successfully and action continues. Otherwise still pretty
> > much seems the case.
>
> FYI:
> Your USENET post has no quoted text above (or below) -- it's bad form to depend
> on Google or something to provide the context of a USENET post.

Sorry... I do that alot :'(
Please don't hurt me ;)

I'll try keep that in the mind for the future and keep the quotes. I
find it usually clutters and interrupts my chain of thought, but did
not realize it caused difficulties.with others.

Thanks for letting me know, and responding to my mail.