Questions regarding Rotschreck/Giant's Blood/Flesh of Marble/Blocking/Intercept

3 vues

Reece Nelson

non lue,
3 déc. 1998, 03:00:0003/12/1998
Our group has recently begun playing V:TES, for the most part we've
found the cards relatively straightforward however several questions
have arisen that we would appreciate some help with:

1) Rotschreck: Is this card played on the vampire using aggravated
damage or on the minion being threatened with aggravated damage. Yes, we
have seen the most recent ruling (6/28 I think), but some of us
interpreted it as being played on the minion using aggravated damage,
others disagreed and insist that it is played on the minion that is
about to take aggravated damage. Which is it? And if you could give us a
concrete example it would sure be appreciated.....

a) Additionally can a Rotschreck card be played by a Methuselah not
involved in the fight between two minions? I suspect they can...

b) Lastly, is it correct that Master:Out of turn cards(i.e. Rotschreck)
can only be played when it is not your turn? I suspect this is
correct...

2) Giant's Blood: This card states only one of such cards can be played
a game and that if one is played all future Giant's Blood will be
burned. What happens if a Giant's Blood is played and then nullified
with a Sudden Reversal? I suspect that Giant's Blood couldn't be played
again later in the game even though the first had no effect... Is this
correct?

3)Flesh of Marble: This reduces the damage from all strikes in a round
of combat to one for the remainder of the combat. Is it correct that
this would affect multiple strikes in a round?

4)Blocking: If one is playing in a game with 7 people can only your prey
or predator attempt to block your non-directed actions? Barring Eagles
Sight or a similar special ability of course...

5) Intercept/Stealth: Is it correct that one can only play a stealth
card after a minion attempts to block? Since one cannot dump stealth
cards for no reason I assume this is the case...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us...

Jasper Phillips

non lue,
3 déc. 1998, 03:00:0003/12/1998
In article <366634BB...@teleport.com>,
Reece Nelson <ree...@teleport.com> wrote:

Hey Reece. :-) I know you're looking for more of an official answer,
but I couldn't resist getting in a word edgewise (and I doubt I'll
be the only one...).

>1) Rotschreck: Is this card played on the vampire using aggravated
>damage or on the minion being threatened with aggravated damage. Yes, we
>have seen the most recent ruling (6/28 I think), but some of us
>interpreted it as being played on the minion using aggravated damage,
>others disagreed and insist that it is played on the minion that is
>about to take aggravated damage. Which is it? And if you could give us a
>concrete example it would sure be appreciated.....

Lets say I have a minion intercept one of yours trying to bleed me.
You attempt to Majesty, while I whip out the Wolf's Claws and then
Play Rotschrek. Your minion goes to torpor, and no damage is dealt.

A couple of things that might help you convince certain other people: ;-)

If you read the card's text, to paraphrase: when any _minion_ using agg damage
against a _vampire_... and that _vampire_ is put in torpor. Clearly this
should not work on the inflicting minion (whether or not they're a vampire).

Also, there's the paradox of trying to say the card works against
the inflicting minion with the errata, and then trying to hold that
after this ruling has been reversed it works the same way.

If you point out that this wording makes the card work very nicely in a
Tremere intercept deck, and you'll likely convince a few people. ;-)

>a) Additionally can a Rotschreck card be played by a Methuselah not
>involved in the fight between two minions? I suspect they can...

I believe so, although I'm not entirely certain.

>b) Lastly, is it correct that Master:Out of turn cards(i.e. Rotschreck)
>can only be played when it is not your turn? I suspect this is
>correct...

Yes. The rules are very clear on this, although it's easy to miss.

>2) Giant's Blood: This card states only one of such cards can be played
>a game and that if one is played all future Giant's Blood will be
>burned. What happens if a Giant's Blood is played and then nullified
>with a Sudden Reversal? I suspect that Giant's Blood couldn't be played
>again later in the game even though the first had no effect... Is this
>correct?

I believe so, as canceling a cards effect doesn't mean it hasn't been
played -- the restriction is an effect from all subsequent cards,
not the first, and so isn't likely to be canceled because the
first was canceled.

>3)Flesh of Marble: This reduces the damage from all strikes in a round
>of combat to one for the remainder of the combat. Is it correct that
>this would affect multiple strikes in a round?

Yes. A round is more than just one strike phase.

>4)Blocking: If one is playing in a game with 7 people can only your prey
>or predator attempt to block your non-directed actions? Barring Eagles
>Sight or a similar special ability of course...

Yup. This is also very clearly in the rules.

>5) Intercept/Stealth: Is it correct that one can only play a stealth
>card after a minion attempts to block? Since one cannot dump stealth
>cards for no reason I assume this is the case...

Another cut and dried case from the rules. If nobody attempts
to block a minion, why do they need stealth? Taking advantage
of this by not blocking stealth happy players is the most common
defenses against sneak and bleed. Malkavian players as a result
tend to like cards that let them quickly cycle cards.

>Thanks in advance for any help you can give us...

Say hi to the guys, preferably by burning some of their vampires. ;-)
-Jasper

--
/\ Jasper Phillips
/VVVVVVVVVVVVVV|~"~"~"~"~"~"----------........____ jaz

LSJ

non lue,
3 déc. 1998, 03:00:0003/12/1998
Jasper Phillips wrote:

> Reece Nelson <ree...@teleport.com> wrote:
> >1) Rotschreck: Is this card played on the vampire using aggravated
> >damage or on the minion being threatened with aggravated damage. Yes, we
> >have seen the most recent ruling (6/28 I think), but some of us
> >interpreted it as being played on the minion using aggravated damage,
> >others disagreed and insist that it is played on the minion that is
> >about to take aggravated damage. Which is it? And if you could give us a
> >concrete example it would sure be appreciated.....
>
> Lets say I have a minion intercept one of yours trying to bleed me.
> You attempt to Majesty, while I whip out the Wolf's Claws and then
> Play Rotschrek. Your minion goes to torpor, and no damage is dealt.
>
> A couple of things that might help you convince certain other people: ;-)
>
> If you read the card's text, to paraphrase: when any _minion_ using agg damage
> against a _vampire_... and that _vampire_ is put in torpor. Clearly this
> should not work on the inflicting minion (whether or not they're a vampire).

Correct.

> >a) Additionally can a Rotschreck card be played by a Methuselah not
> >involved in the fight between two minions? I suspect they can...
>
> I believe so, although I'm not entirely certain.

Yes.

> >b) Lastly, is it correct that Master:Out of turn cards(i.e. Rotschreck)
> >can only be played when it is not your turn? I suspect this is
> >correct...
>
> Yes. The rules are very clear on this, although it's easy to miss.

Correct.

> >2) Giant's Blood: This card states only one of such cards can be played
> >a game and that if one is played all future Giant's Blood will be
> >burned. What happens if a Giant's Blood is played and then nullified
> >with a Sudden Reversal? I suspect that Giant's Blood couldn't be played
> >again later in the game even though the first had no effect... Is this
> >correct?
>
> I believe so, as canceling a cards effect doesn't mean it hasn't been
> played -- the restriction is an effect from all subsequent cards,
> not the first, and so isn't likely to be canceled because the
> first was canceled.

Correct.
Note that no Giant's Blood can be played at all after the first (not
simply played with no effect, as was the case with the old Jyhad
wording).

> >3)Flesh of Marble: This reduces the damage from all strikes in a round
> >of combat to one for the remainder of the combat. Is it correct that
> >this would affect multiple strikes in a round?
>
> Yes. A round is more than just one strike phase.

Correct.

> >4)Blocking: If one is playing in a game with 7 people can only your prey
> >or predator attempt to block your non-directed actions? Barring Eagles
> >Sight or a similar special ability of course...
>
> Yup. This is also very clearly in the rules.

Correct.

> >5) Intercept/Stealth: Is it correct that one can only play a stealth
> >card after a minion attempts to block? Since one cannot dump stealth
> >cards for no reason I assume this is the case...
>
> Another cut and dried case from the rules. If nobody attempts
> to block a minion, why do they need stealth? Taking advantage
> of this by not blocking stealth happy players is the most common
> defenses against sneak and bleed. Malkavian players as a result
> tend to like cards that let them quickly cycle cards.

Correct. You cannot add stealth unless you need stealth.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and DCI (tournament) rules:

0 nouveau message