question about Nightmare upon nightmares. LSJ?

Sascha

Apr 13, 2004, 11:28:31 AM4/13/04
Can I assume that the cards effect happens at the end of the untap phase?
Does it stop you from ordering your untap phase?

In other words what's to stop a methesula from dealing with the effect of
NuN, then just untaping their minions?

Is Anthelios, the red star aslo considderd an event card?

Pc.

Tobin Lopes

Apr 13, 2004, 11:34:13 AM4/13/04

"Sascha" wrote

> Can I assume that the cards effect happens at the end of the untap phase?
> Does it stop you from ordering your untap phase?
>
> In other words what's to stop a methesula from dealing with the effect of
> NuN, then just untaping their minions?

Untapping minions is the first thing that happens during the phase. Once
that's done then other effects can be ordered. From the rule book:

"At the beginning of your untap phase, you must untap all of your cards. Any
cards or effects that require or allow you to do something during your untap
phase take effect after you have untapped your cards. You may choose the
order in which these effects take place."

> Is Anthelios, the red star aslo considderd an event card?

It a sure fire bet. I'm thinking event cards are indicated with the half
moon image on the upper left of the card.

-tpl

Geoff

Apr 14, 2004, 2:29:05 AM4/14/04
Another q? on NaN;

A methusalah discards 1 card during their untap for every minion you
control.

What then does the aftertext 'vampires with capacity above the number
of gehenna+allies in play are not affected' mean when they are not
affected in the first place? As the card only affects Methusalahs,
not minions in play?

A printing error perhaps?

salem

Apr 14, 2004, 4:26:09 AM4/14/04
On 13 Apr 2004 23:29:05 -0700, talo...@yahoo.ca (Geoff) scrawled:

no.....have you read the card text?

"For each minion a methuselah controls during his or her untap phase,
the methuselah must burn a card from his or her hand or tap that
minion."

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

Hardy Range

Apr 14, 2004, 5:32:13 AM4/14/04
talo...@yahoo.ca (Geoff) wrote in message news:<86e3f5f4.0404...@posting.google.com>...

One possible interpretation:
The affected Methuselah could choose not to discard a card for those
special minions, and those minions would then not need to be tapped,
since they are not affected by this card.

But can a Methuselah chose to burn a card even for these special
minions (to cycle, of course)?

Hardy Range
Prince of Bochum, Germany
http://www.vekn.de

LSJ

Apr 14, 2004, 6:01:13 AM4/14/04
Hardy Range wrote:
> But can a Methuselah chose to burn a card even for these special
> minions (to cycle, of course)?

No. Those minions do not incur the "discard a card or tap me" effect.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Chris Shorb

Apr 15, 2004, 2:26:04 AM4/15/04
"Vampires with capacity greater than the number of Gehenna cards in play
and mortal allies are not affected by this card."

Is this: Vamps Cap > (Gehenna cards + Mortal Allies) = not affected

or

(Vamps Cap > Gehenna), Mortal Allies = not affected

In other words, on the table, there are Anhelios, Nightmare, and an 2
Outcast Mages (mortals? Where is that defined?). Do my 1 and 2 caps cause
me a penalty, or do my 1 through 4 caps cause me a penalty?

It seems like it would be my 1 and 2 caps would cause me penalty, as well
as any non-mortal allies and my mortal allies would be safe. But I can
see it being read the other way, often.

Thanks,

chris

LSJ wrote:

--
chris shorb
prince of torrance, where the 5th tradition rules.

LSJ

Apr 15, 2004, 6:04:33 AM4/15/04
Chris Shorb wrote:
> "Vampires with capacity greater than the number of Gehenna cards in play
> and mortal allies are not affected by this card."
>
> Is this: Vamps Cap > (Gehenna cards + Mortal Allies) = not affected
>
> or
>
> (Vamps Cap > Gehenna), Mortal Allies = not affected

The position of "in play" answers that question: the latter.

salem

Apr 15, 2004, 6:23:49 AM4/15/04
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:26:04 GMT, Chris Shorb <chr...@vtesinla.org>
scrawled:
[snip]

>Outcast Mages (mortals? Where is that defined?).

Outcast Mages are Mages.

Mortal is a trait, like Gun or Location.
Allies and retainers printed since...umm....Final Nights? have their
trait on them, if they indeed have a trait. If the Ally doesn't have
"Mortal" in it's text box, it is affected by Nightmares Upon
Nightmares.

you can check the online card texts to see which allies are mortal,
etc., and i think there is a list somewhere, probably at
www.thelasombra.com, that lists every retainer and ally by type.