[LSJ] Poison Pill and Reins of Power and Parity Shift questions

Arry

Sep 9, 2009, 3:34:38 AM9/9/09
Hello. I have some questions about the timing and effect of Poison
Pill.

1) Player A plays Reins of Power. Player B (his prey) plays Poison
Pill. The referendum passes. Player A chooses a 8-cap vampire. How
much pool will he lose for Poison Pill - 2 or 8?

(I think 2, because the gain of 6 pool and the loss of 8 pool happen
simultaneously, and then Poison Pill sees the net loss of 2.)

2) Player B has 10 pool. Player A plays Parity Shift. There are 5
players in the game. Player A wants to move 5 pool from Player B to
himself. Player B plays Poison Pill. The referendum passes. What
happens?

(My understanding is that Player B loses 5, Player A gains 5 and loses
5, for the total of 0.)

3) Same as 2), but initially, Player B has 2 pool. What happens?

(My understanding is that Player B loses 2 and is ousted, Player A
gains 2 for Parity Shift, loses 2 for Poison Pill, and gains 6 for the
oust, for the total of 6 pool.)

Thanks for your help.
Arry

Blooded Sand

Sep 9, 2009, 3:57:07 AM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 9:34 am, Arry <dea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I have some questions about the timing and effect of Poison
> Pill.
>
> 1) Player A plays Reins of Power.  Player B (his prey) plays Poison
> Pill.  The referendum passes.  Player A chooses a 8-cap vampire.  How
> much pool will he lose for Poison Pill - 2 or 8?
>
> (I think 2, because the gain of 6 pool and the loss of 8 pool happen
> simultaneously, and then Poison Pill sees the net loss of 2.)

Nope, sorry. poison cares about how pool ios burnt, irrespective of
how much pool is gained. Similarly, you always burn an additional 5
for Ancient influence if you get poison pilled while playing it.

> 2) Player B has 10 pool.  Player A plays Parity Shift.  There are 5
> players in the game.  Player A wants to move 5 pool from Player B to
> himself.  Player B plays Poison Pill.  The referendum passes.  What
> happens?
>
> (My understanding is that Player B loses 5, Player A gains 5 and loses
> 5, for the total of 0.)

correct

> 3) Same as 2), but initially, Player B has 2 pool.  What happens?
>
> (My understanding is that Player B loses 2 and is ousted, Player A
> gains 2 for Parity Shift, loses 2 for Poison Pill, and gains 6 for the
> oust, for the total of 6 pool.)

yup

> Thanks for your help.
> Arry

pleasure

Izaak

Sep 9, 2009, 6:34:35 AM9/9/09
> 1) Player A plays Reins of Power. Player B (his prey) plays Poison
> Pill. The referendum passes. Player A chooses a 8-cap vampire. How
> much pool will he lose for Poison Pill - 2 or 8?
>
> (I think 2, because the gain of 6 pool and the loss of 8 pool happen
> simultaneously, and then Poison Pill sees the net loss of 2.)

IANLSJ, but this is incorrect.

Card text:
'Only usable during a referendum, before votes are cast. If the referendum
passes and the effect of the referendum causes you to lose pool, the
controller of the acting vampire loses the same amount of pool (in addition
to the effects of the referendum).'

It just says "lose pool" and not "the total net amount of pool burned during
as a result of the referendum".

LSJ

Sep 9, 2009, 6:37:27 AM9/9/09
Blooded Sand wrote:
> On Sep 9, 9:34 am, Arry <dea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello. I have some questions about the timing and effect of Poison
>> Pill.
>>
>> 1) Player A plays Reins of Power. Player B (his prey) plays Poison
>> Pill. The referendum passes. Player A chooses a 8-cap vampire. How
>> much pool will he lose for Poison Pill - 2 or 8?
>>
>> (I think 2, because the gain of 6 pool and the loss of 8 pool happen
>> simultaneously, and then Poison Pill sees the net loss of 2.)
>
> Nope, sorry. poison cares about how pool ios burnt, irrespective of
> how much pool is gained. Similarly, you always burn an additional 5
> for Ancient influence if you get poison pilled while playing it.

Correct.

>> 2) Player B has 10 pool. Player A plays Parity Shift. There are 5
>> players in the game. Player A wants to move 5 pool from Player B to
>> himself. Player B plays Poison Pill. The referendum passes. What
>> happens?
>>
>> (My understanding is that Player B loses 5, Player A gains 5 and loses
>> 5, for the total of 0.)
> correct

Correct.

>> 3) Same as 2), but initially, Player B has 2 pool. What happens?
>>
>> (My understanding is that Player B loses 2 and is ousted, Player A
>> gains 2 for Parity Shift, loses 2 for Poison Pill, and gains 6 for the
>> oust, for the total of 6 pool.)
>>
> yup

Correct.

Blooded Sand

Sep 9, 2009, 7:38:04 AM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 12:37 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Blooded Sand wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 9:34 am, Arry <dea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello.  I have some questions about the timing and effect of Poison
> >> Pill.
>
> >> 1) Player A plays Reins of Power.  Player B (his prey) plays Poison
> >> Pill.  The referendum passes.  Player A chooses a 8-cap vampire.  How
> >> much pool will he lose for Poison Pill - 2 or 8?
>
> >> (I think 2, because the gain of 6 pool and the loss of 8 pool happen
> >> simultaneously, and then Poison Pill sees the net loss of 2.)
Just a clarification here

Meth A preying on B preying on C preying on A each control a 10 cap
vampire. Meth A plays Reins of power. Meth B plays poison Pill. All
three choose their 10 cap vamps. Meth A will burn 20 pool, then gain
6. 10 for the vamp Meth B picked, and 10 for the pool Meth B burnt
before gaining 6. Which is a net loss of 16 then....

LSJ

Sep 9, 2009, 8:12:31 AM9/9/09
Blooded Sand wrote:
> Just a clarification here
>
> Meth A preying on B preying on C preying on A each control a 10 cap
> vampire. Meth A plays Reins of power. Meth B plays poison Pill. All
> three choose their 10 cap vamps. Meth A will burn 20 pool, then gain
> 6. 10 for the vamp Meth B picked, and 10 for the pool Meth B burnt
> before gaining 6. Which is a net loss of 16 then....

Well, A gains 6 then burns 10 (for Reins of Power based on B's chosen vampire)
and 10 (for Poison Pill based on the amount B burned), yeah.

Which is a net loss of 14.

Juggernaut1981

Sep 9, 2009, 7:19:23 PM9/9/09

Reins of Power is "Gain 6, then burn Pred Vamp Cap".
The caller of the vote would Gain 6, burn the cap of their Pred's
Vampire then burn the pool lost by the player of poison pill.

Poison Pill only sees pool lost, not pool gained.

Blooded Sand

Sep 10, 2009, 4:52:57 AM9/10/09

meh. maths are strong.