Shalmath untapping ability

Nikolaj "Lord of the Betrayers" Wendt

Jun 14, 2010, 8:34:52 AM6/14/10
Can Shalmath use his untap ability and Iron heart in response to a
Seduction being played, and cancel the seduction?

Shalmath
Independent: Shalmath may search your library for an action card to
move to your research area as a +1 stealth action. Once each turn, he
may untap. He cannot play cards that require Celerity. Scarce.

Seduction
Only usable when the acting vampire`s action is announced.
[dom] Choose a younger vampire. He or she cannot block this acting
vampire.
[DOM] As above, but the affected vampire can be the same age or
older.

Iron Heart
[pot][pre] Cancel an action modifier that requires Presence [pre] as
it is played. That card has no effect. No cost is paid.
[POT][PRE] As [pot][pre] above, but cancel an action modifier that
requires Dominate [dom].

Abdul alHazred

Jun 14, 2010, 9:05:56 AM6/14/10
On 14 Juni, 14:34, "Nikolaj \"Lord of the Betrayers\" Wendt"

I would guess "no" since you have to play Iron heart as seduction is
played and if you untap as you get the impulse then seduction is
already played.

/cheers Tomas

LSJ

Jun 14, 2010, 9:32:15 AM6/14/10

Correct.

Nikolaj "Lord of the Betrayers" Wendt

Jun 14, 2010, 10:53:33 AM6/14/10

But you can use his ability to untap and play Rewind Time when someone
plays a master?

Rewind Time
[pre] Reduce a bleed against you by 1.
[tem] Cancel an action card as it is played. That card has no effect
(the acting minion is not tapped).
[TEM] Cancel a non-out-of-turn master card as it is played during any
other Methuselah`s master phase (usable by a ready, untapped vampire
even though there is no action). That master card has no effect. No
cost is paid. The Methuselah who played that card gains another master
phase action.

I think there was a ruling that you could play wake and Rewind Time to
counter master cards?

floppyzedolfin

Jun 14, 2010, 11:25:55 AM6/14/10
On Jun 14, 4:53 pm, "Nikolaj \"Lord of the Betrayers\" Wendt"

Nope, for the same reason.

> Rewind Time
> [pre] Reduce a bleed against you by 1.
> [tem] Cancel an action card as it is played. That card has no effect
> (the acting minion is not tapped).
> [TEM] Cancel a non-out-of-turn master card as it is played during any
> other Methuselah`s master phase (usable by a ready, untapped vampire
> even though there is no action). That master card has no effect. No
> cost is paid. The Methuselah who played that card gains another master
> phase action.
>
> I think there was a ruling that you could play wake and Rewind Time to
> counter master cards?

Can't play Wake when there's no action, since it's a reaction card.

You could play Wake + Rewind Time on an action card. That's because
Wakes have a special status (due to the "can play reaction cards as if
untapped" part, I think). This is in the rulebook:

1.6.1.1:
Some effects can cancel a card "as it is played." These effects (and
effects that grant the ability to play them, like Forced Awakening)
are the only effects allowed during the "as played" time period of
another card. Even drawing to replace cards comes after this time
period.

Tazar

Jun 15, 2010, 3:13:19 AM6/15/10
On Jun 14, 4:53 pm, "Nikolaj \"Lord of the Betrayers\" Wendt"

If you plan to play Rewind time just untap with Shalmath during others
player untap, do not wait for master phase. That's all you need.