(LSJ) Coterie Tactics questions

floppyzedolfin

Mar 9, 2009, 1:43:53 PM3/9/09
Hello :)
Here are some questions about how things interfere with Coterie
Tactics :

Vampire A is acting, B and C are untapped and controlled by a legal
blocker.
B plays Coterie Tactics on C.

1/ A has 2 stealth, B plays Spirit's Touch sup', C plays Spirit's
Touch sup'. No stealth is added, B is chosen to be the blocking
vampire. Does B get 2 optional maneuvers in the resulting combat ?

2/ A has 1 stealth, B's controler taps the WMRH to give C +1
intercept. No stealth is added, B is chosen to be the blocking
vampire. Does C's controler burn 1 pool after resolution ?

3/ A has 0 stealth. No stealth is added. B is chosen to be the
blocking vampire.
a - Can B play Obedience before being tapped per Coterie Tactics ?
b - If answer to a - is "No.", can B play On the Qui Vive and
Obedience ?

4/ A has 0 stealth, and no stealth is added. C is chosen to be the
blocking vampire.
a - Can D, another vampire controled by B's controler, play Shimulo
Deception on C ?
b - If D can, is Shimulo Deception played before B and C being tapped,
after B and C being tapped, or at C's controler's will ?
c - If SD can be played before B and C get tapped, can that avoid B
and C getting tapped ?

5/ A has 0 stealth, and no stealth is added. B is chosen to be the
blocking vampire. Can C play Cats' Guidance inf' after resolution of
the action ?

Thanks.

Cardtexts :

Coterie Tactics
Cardtype: Reaction
Choose another ready untapped vampire you control of the same sect as
this reacting vampire. These two vampires attempt to block, using the
sum of their intercept to see if the block succeeds. If successful,
both tap and then you choose one to be the blocking vampire (and the
other ceases to be blocking).

Spirit's Touch
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Auspex
[aus] +1 intercept.
[AUS] As above, with an optional maneuver in the resulting combat if
this vampire successfully blocks this action.

WMRH Talk Radio
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 1 pool
Master: unique location.
Tap to give any minion +1 intercept for the current action. If that
minion doesn't successfully block the action, burn 1 pool after the
action resolves.

Obedience
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable when this reacting vampire is about to enter combat with
an acting younger vampire.
[dom] Untap the acting vampire, do not tap this reacting vampire, and
end the current action (and combat). The acting vampire cannot attempt
the same action this turn.
[DOM] As above, but do not untap the acting vampire.

Shilmulo Deception
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Chimerstry
[chi] Only usable when a minion you control successfully blocks (play
before combat). Not usable if the blocking minion played any reaction
cards that this vampire could not play. Do not tap the blocking
minion; tap this reacting vampire instead. Now this vampire is the
blocking vampire (and combat begins as normal).
[CHI] As above, and this vampire gets an optional maneuver during the
first round of the resulting combat.

Cats' Guidance
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Animalism
[ani] Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately after he or she
blocks (play after combat, if any). Untap this reacting vampire.
[ANI] +1 intercept.

LSJ

Mar 9, 2009, 2:03:41 PM3/9/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> Hello :)
> Here are some questions about how things interfere with Coterie
> Tactics :
>
> Vampire A is acting, B and C are untapped and controlled by a legal
> blocker.
> B plays Coterie Tactics on C.
>
> 1/ A has 2 stealth, B plays Spirit's Touch sup', C plays Spirit's
> Touch sup'. No stealth is added, B is chosen to be the blocking
> vampire. Does B get 2 optional maneuvers in the resulting combat ?

No. Card text.

> 2/ A has 1 stealth, B's controler taps the WMRH to give C +1
> intercept. No stealth is added, B is chosen to be the blocking
> vampire. Does C's controler burn 1 pool after resolution ?

No. C successfully blocked. Card text.

> 3/ A has 0 stealth. No stealth is added. B is chosen to be the
> blocking vampire.
> a - Can B play Obedience before being tapped per Coterie Tactics ?

Yes. Which is also before C taps. And then C still taps, since Obedience doesn't
protect him from being tapped.

> b - If answer to a - is "No.", can B play On the Qui Vive and
> Obedience ?

Moot.

> 4/ A has 0 stealth, and no stealth is added. C is chosen to be the
> blocking vampire.
> a - Can D, another vampire controled by B's controler, play Shimulo
> Deception on C ?

Yes.

> b - If D can, is Shimulo Deception played before B and C being tapped,
> after B and C being tapped, or at C's controler's will ?

Before.

> c - If SD can be played before B and C get tapped, can that avoid B
> and C getting tapped ?

It won't affect B getting tapped, but it will keep C from bing tapped. As in the
Obedience case.

> 5/ A has 0 stealth, and no stealth is added. B is chosen to be the
> blocking vampire. Can C play Cats' Guidance inf' after resolution of
> the action ?

Yes.

floppyzedolfin

Mar 9, 2009, 2:19:13 PM3/9/09
On 9 mar, 19:03, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> floppyzedolfin wrote:
> > Hello :)
> > Here are some questions about how things interfere with Coterie
> > Tactics :
>
> > Vampire A is acting, B and C are untapped and controlled by a legal
> > blocker.
> > B plays Coterie Tactics on C.
>
> > 3/ A has 0 stealth. No stealth is added. B is chosen to be the
> > blocking vampire.
> > a - Can B play Obedience before being tapped per Coterie Tactics ?
>
> Yes. Which is also before C taps. And then C still taps, since Obedience doesn't
> protect him from being tapped.
>
> > b - If answer to a - is "No.", can B play On the Qui Vive and
> > Obedience ?
>
> Moot.
>
> > 4/ A has 0 stealth, and no stealth is added. C is chosen to be the
> > blocking vampire.
> > a - Can D, another vampire controled by B's controler, play Shimulo
> > Deception on C ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > b - If D can, is Shimulo Deception played before B and C being tapped,
> > after B and C being tapped, or at C's controler's will ?
>
> Before.
>
> > c - If SD can be played before B and C get tapped, can that avoid B
> > and C getting tapped ?
>
> It won't affect B getting tapped, but it will keep C from bing tapped. As in the
> Obedience case.

Those points raise a question from me (I think I misunderstood a part
of the cardtext) :
Should the "both tap" from Coterie Tactics be read as "both tap for
successfully blocking" ?

Let's have an example : A (4-cap) is still acting, B and C (5-caps)
have an Atonement each, and have the same controler.
B plays Coterie Tactics on C. No stealth is added.
Will both B and C be untapped when the combat resulting of the block
starts ?

Atonement
[AH:C2, FN:PA/PG]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 2 blood
Requires a ready vampire with a capacity below 6. +1 stealth action.
Put this card on the acting vampire. This vampire gets +1 intercept
when attempting to block. He or she does not tap when blocking a
vampire of the same age or younger. Any vampire may burn this card as
a (D) action; Followers of Set get -1 stealth when attempting that
action.

LSJ

Mar 9, 2009, 2:44:40 PM3/9/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> Those points raise a question from me (I think I misunderstood a part
> of the cardtext) :
> Should the "both tap" from Coterie Tactics be read as "both tap for
> successfully blocking" ?

Yes.

> Let's have an example : A (4-cap) is still acting, B and C (5-caps)
> have an Atonement each, and have the same controler.
> B plays Coterie Tactics on C. No stealth is added.
> Will both B and C be untapped when the combat resulting of the block
> starts ?

Yes.

Chris Berger

Mar 9, 2009, 2:50:39 PM3/9/09

Ooh... interesting - a multi-Atonement Coterie Tactics deck!
Sure, you can put multiple atonements on the same vampire, but there
are plenty of reasons why having them on different vampires would be
beneficial.

As far as I can tell, if effects that prevent the blocking minion from
tapping work with Coterie Tactics, then they should work equally well
for either blocking vampire... Unless we are to read CT as "the
vampire chosen as the blocking minion taps as normal for blocking, and
the other vampire is tapped by CT" which seems very non-intuitive. I
originally thought that both minions were tapped by CT and no amount
of "doesn't tap for blocking" could help either one...

LSJ

Mar 9, 2009, 2:55:14 PM3/9/09
Chris Berger wrote:
> I originally thought that both minions were tapped by CT and no amount
> of "doesn't tap for blocking" could help either one...

Note that Obedience doesn't say "doesn't tap for blocking". Nor does Shimulo
Deception. Nor Atonement, although it comes a little closer than the other two.

Juggernaut1981

Mar 9, 2009, 7:02:12 PM3/9/09

I'm seeing the Atoned Aabbt Wall of Doom making an impressive
reappearance with Coterie Tactics...
Atonement, Guardian Angel, Sports Bike... +3 intercept per minion on a
bleed... +2 per minion on a non-bleed

Throw in the usual snake shennanigans... Nefertiti, Temptation/Form of
Forruption/Khobar Towers or Sargon/Enticement...

*blinks then runs to get pen, paper and my card library list...*