Cobra Fangs + Trophies

ira...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2008, 5:05:02 AM3/23/08
Hello LSJ,

If I use Cobra Fangs to burn an Ally that is Red List, do Trophies
trigger if:

1) It's someone else's turn, and I just blocked an action.
2) It's my turn, I just took a D-action to enter combat with that Red
Listed ally.
3) It's my turn, I just bled, and got blocked by that Red Listed ally.
4) It's my turn, I just called a vote, and got blocked by that Red
Listed ally.

I believe the answer is "no" in all cases, because the burning is
neither "in combat" nor "as a D action." Specifically:

a) "at the end of the action" is outside of combat (since Freak Drive
is played after combat.)
b) For #2 and #3, the burning isn't occuring as a D action, even
though it's at the end of a D action.

So maybe the answer is yes for #2 and #3, but I'm quite certain the
answer is no for #1 and #4.

Thanks,
Ira

Cobra Fangs:
Type(s): Combat
Blood Cost: 1
Card Text:
[ser] Strike: hand strike (at strength damage). If any damage from
this strike is successfully inflicted on an opposing ally, burn that
ally at the end of the action.
[SER] As above, and if any damage from this strike is successfully
inflicted on an opposing vampire, that vampire goes to torpor during
his next untap phase.

From the Rulebook, 1.6.2.3:
Trophy: A trophy may be put into play using a master phase action (or
can be retrieved as listed under "Red List" in section 11). It has no
effect until it is moved to a vampire. When any vampire burns a Red
List minion in combat or as a (D) action (including diablerie), the
controller of the trophy may choose to move the trophy to that
vampire. Any number of trophies in play may be moved to the vampire in
this way (in addition to the single trophy that the vampire's
controller may retrieve from her library, ash heap or hand). Once
placed on a vampire, a trophy cannot be moved again.

LSJ

Mar 23, 2008, 8:29:03 AM3/23/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello LSJ,
>
> If I use Cobra Fangs to burn an Ally that is Red List, do Trophies
> trigger if:

... assuming the ally doesn't burn from handling the damage from the strike.

> 1) It's someone else's turn, and I just blocked an action.
> 2) It's my turn, I just took a D-action to enter combat with that Red
> Listed ally.
> 3) It's my turn, I just bled, and got blocked by that Red Listed ally.
> 4) It's my turn, I just called a vote, and got blocked by that Red
> Listed ally.
>
> I believe the answer is "no" in all cases, because the burning is
> neither "in combat" nor "as a D action."

Correct.