Rules query: Taunt the Caged Beast and Detect Authority

dasei...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 5:59:04 PM3/1/09
Quick rules question. Yesterday in a tournament one of my prey's
vampire played Taunt the Caged Beast at superior, nominating one of my
vampires to enter combat with one of his prey's vampires. I was
playing a Tzimisce anarch deck. As a reaction in response to the
action I played Detect Authority to force the Taunting vampire to burn
two blood. We ruled that since Taunt says "choose a vampire controlled
by your predator and your prey", it is targeting one of my minions and
I can play Detect Authority.

Were we right?
Is this only because of the recent rules changes regarding the
targetting of D actions, or was it always the case?

Thanks.

Taunt the Caged Beast
[ani] (D) Enter combat with any vampire, with an optional maneuver in
that combat.
[ANI] Choose a vampire controlled by your predator and another
controlled by your prey (not usable when only one other Methuselah is
in the game). The chosen vampires enter combat. If only one is ready
at the end of <that> combat, he or she gains 4 blood.

Detect Authority
Requires an anarch.
[ani] Only usable during a (D) action directed at a minion or location
you control. The action ends (no cost is paid), unless the acting
minion burns 2 blood immediately.

LSJ

Mar 1, 2009, 6:46:47 PM3/1/09
dasei...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Quick rules question. Yesterday in a tournament one of my prey's
> vampire played Taunt the Caged Beast at superior, nominating one of my
> vampires to enter combat with one of his prey's vampires. I was
> playing a Tzimisce anarch deck. As a reaction in response to the
> action I played Detect Authority to force the Taunting vampire to burn
> two blood. We ruled that since Taunt says "choose a vampire controlled
> by your predator and your prey", it is targeting one of my minions and
> I can play Detect Authority.
>
> Were we right?

Yes.

> Is this only because of the recent rules changes regarding the
> targetting of D actions, or was it always the case?

Because of the change. After the change, TtCB superior is a (D) action. Before,
since it was directed at two Methuselahs, it would have been an undirected action.

jwjbw...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 7:55:47 PM3/1/09
On Mar 1, 6:46 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> dasein2...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Quick rules question. Yesterday in a tournament one of my prey's
> > vampire played Taunt the Caged Beast at superior, nominating one of my
> > vampires to enter combat with one of his prey's vampires. I was
> > playing a Tzimisce anarch deck. As a reaction in response to the
> > action I played Detect Authority to force the Taunting vampire to burn
> > two blood. We ruled that since Taunt says "choose a vampire controlled
> > by your predator and your prey", it is targeting one of my minions and
> > I can play Detect Authority.
>
> > Were we right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is this only because of the recent rules changes regarding the
> > targetting of D actions, or was it always the case?
>
> Because of the change. After the change, TtCB superior is a (D) action. Before,
> since it was directed at two Methuselahs, it would have been an undirected
> action.

What happens when you play "Marked Path" following a superior "Taunt
the Caged Beast"? Can it now be burned for stealth against either
methuselah?

LSJ

Mar 1, 2009, 8:03:55 PM3/1/09
jwjbw...@gmail.com wrote:
> What happens when you play "Marked Path" following a superior "Taunt
> the Caged Beast"? Can it now be burned for stealth against either
> methuselah?

Hmm. An outlier.

Seems the proper answer is: it can be used for stealth on a (D) action directed
at the same Methuselahs.

So: only on a (D) action directed at both of the original targets.

I'll clarify the official card text.

Thanks.

Matt Hirsch

Mar 3, 2009, 11:23:51 AM3/3/09
On Mar 1, 8:03 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

Does this apply to Inquisition as well? Would Marked Path "remember"
the selected target methuselahs?

Inquisition
Requires a ready Sabbat vampire. +1 stealth action.
(D) Choose one or more bishops. Each of the chosen bishops loses his
or her title and takes 2 unpreventable damage. The controllers of the
chosen bishops may attempt to block in addition to the normally
eligible blockers.

-MDH

/Yeah, I play with Marked Path AND Inquistion.
//The requisite Monty Python reference is never unexpected.

LSJ

Mar 3, 2009, 11:28:59 AM3/3/09
Matt Hirsch wrote:
> On Mar 1, 8:03 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> jwjbwhe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> What happens when you play "Marked Path" following a superior "Taunt
>>> the Caged Beast"? Can it now be burned for stealth against either
>>> methuselah?
>> Hmm. An outlier.
>>
>> Seems the proper answer is: it can be used for stealth on a (D) action directed
>> at the same Methuselahs.
>>
>> So: only on a (D) action directed at both of the original targets.
>>
>> I'll clarify the official card text.
>
> Does this apply to Inquisition as well? Would Marked Path "remember"
> the selected target methuselahs?

Yes. It applies to all multi-Methuselah-targeting (D) actions.

Juggernaut1981

Mar 3, 2009, 8:11:12 PM3/3/09
> Yes. It applies to all multi-Methuselah-targeting (D) actions.- Hide quoted text -

So your position for Marked Path is that it must only be used when an
action targets the exact same set of Methuselahs, not merely one of
the Methuselah's previously targeted by a (D) action? (Hence once
burned it is unavailable for use against the other Methuselah's
previously targeted)