Zhenga, Jack of Both Sides and Summoning

mat...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 10:15:11 PM3/31/08
Laibon: When Zhenga announces a recruit action or employ action, she
may burn X blood. If the action succeeds, she may recruit and employ
up to X additional allies and retainers from your hand (pay cost as
normal)

Jack of Both Sides, Action, 1 blood, C , [G]+2 stealth action.
Requires a ready vampire. Equip or employ an equipment or a retainer
from your hand. The cost of that card is reduced by 1 pool or by up to
2 blood.

Assume Zhenga with NECROMANCY, OBTENEBRATION,PRESENCE and 10 blood

Zhenga plays JoBS burns 4 blood to employ/recruit 4 additional allies/
retainers (Nocturn, Shade, Masquer, Marijava Ghoul, Bima)

Do you get to declare all of them as part of the action? Does this
reduce the cost of the allies as well?

I assume the answer is no to all of the above

If so, do you then untap via nocturn and get to play JoBS again at
additional cost?

I don't know why I even bothered to post this part

Zhenga plays the summoning declaing Bima and burns 4 blood for
nocturn, shade, masquer and elephant guardian

does the nocturn/summoning effect still apply?

Zhenga with 3 orun and above skills

plays summoning for a nocturn burns 6 blood(3 nocturns, shade, 2
masquers)
plays High Orun
total 4 nocturns, shade, 2 masquers

blood cost is 2
I assume High Orun discounts all allies/retainers played including
summoned nocturn

once again does the nocturn/summoning effect apply to all nocturns
played

if so is the cost of the next summoning increased by 4 blood or just 1

LSJ

Mar 31, 2008, 10:53:08 PM3/31/08
mat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Laibon: When Zhenga announces a recruit action or employ action, she
> may burn X blood. If the action succeeds, she may recruit and employ
> up to X additional allies and retainers from your hand (pay cost as
> normal)
>
> Jack of Both Sides, Action, 1 blood, C , [G]+2 stealth action.
> Requires a ready vampire. Equip or employ an equipment or a retainer
> from your hand. The cost of that card is reduced by 1 pool or by up to
> 2 blood.
>
> Assume Zhenga with NECROMANCY, OBTENEBRATION,PRESENCE and 10 blood
>
> Zhenga plays JoBS burns 4 blood to employ/recruit 4 additional allies/
> retainers (Nocturn, Shade, Masquer, Marijava Ghoul, Bima)
>
> Do you get to declare all of them as part of the action?

No. Only the one employed with JoBS is declared. You declare the rest (Zhenga's
ability ones) when and "if the action succeeds".

> Does this
> reduce the cost of the allies as well?

No.

> I assume the answer is no to all of the above

Correct.

> If so, do you then untap via nocturn and get to play JoBS again at
> additional cost?

No. The Nocturn only untaps you if the action to recruit was successful. JoBS is
not an action to recruit. Similarly for the "may repeat this action" bit -- it
only applies for the Nocturn action (so not for the Zhenga effect).

> I don't know why I even bothered to post this part
>
> Zhenga plays the summoning declaing Bima and burns 4 blood for
> nocturn, shade, masquer and elephant guardian
>
> does the nocturn/summoning effect still apply?

1) You don't declare the target minion for Summoning. The target is "search your
library".

2) No, since the Summoning action to recruit a Bima is not an action to recruit
a Nocturn.

> Zhenga with 3 orun and above skills
>
> plays summoning for a nocturn burns 6 blood(3 nocturns, shade, 2
> masquers)
> plays High Orun
> total 4 nocturns, shade, 2 masquers
>
> blood cost is 2
> I assume High Orun discounts all allies/retainers played including
> summoned nocturn

Yes.

> once again does the nocturn/summoning effect apply to all nocturns
> played

The cost-increasing effect applies for the "this action" one, and not for the
others.

Nocturn's untap effect only ever applies once each turn for a given recruiting
vampire, of course.

> if so is the cost of the next summoning increased by 4 blood or just 1

By 1.

mat...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2008, 4:11:35 AM4/1/08
I think zhenga works w/ nercomancy and orun

necromancy soul feasting to feed her recuit/employ actions
masquers and puppeteers

high orun for hand size and cost(truth of a thousand lies and
transfusion)

feeding razor,earth feeder,excellent thrist will all work with soul
feasting

all this just to quickly get a bunch of retainers on Zhenga for
blocking fighting and bleeding

OR just procurers and orun for the same effect

shawn stanley

Apr 1, 2008, 6:20:37 AM4/1/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:53:08 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

But doesn't the logic above apply to the original Jack of Both Sides
action with Zhenga? Jack of Both Sides isn't a recruit or emply
action so Zhenga can't use her special ability to recruit or employ
more additionl allies/ retainers.

shawn

LSJ

Apr 1, 2008, 7:55:51 AM4/1/08

Yes.

> Jack of Both Sides isn't a recruit or emply
> action so Zhenga can't use her special ability to recruit or employ
> more additionl allies/ retainers.

Jack of Both Sides, when used to employ a Shade, is an "Employ Shade" action (so
Zhenga can use her special).

Action card text: "employ".

When used to, say, equip a Leather Jacket, then it is an "Equip Leather Jacket"
action. (And, if successful, the acting minion would untap, by card text on
Leather Jacket.)

Action card text: "equip".

Jack of Both Sides has no recruit option, so it is never a recruit action.