Query about Momentum's Edge

Kevin Walsh

May 4, 2009, 3:04:18 PM5/4/09
This is a query about the meaning of the word "usable" in the card
text. Is it possible to play the card when you have 0 VPs and wait
until you've gained a VP before gaining pool from it? If it is in
play, and you subsequently play Gambit Accepted or in some other way
reduce your VP total to 0, is it now no longer possible to tap it to
gain pool?

Momentum's Edge [Gehenna:R, KoT:R]
Cardtype: Master
Unique master. Only usable if you have one or more victory points.
Put this card in play. You may tap this card during your untap phase
to gain 1 pool.

Kevin Walsh

LSJ

May 4, 2009, 3:08:26 PM5/4/09
Kevin Walsh wrote:
> This is a query about the meaning of the word "usable" in the card
> text. Is it possible to play the card when you have 0 VPs and wait
> until you've gained a VP before gaining pool from it?

No.

> If it is in
> play, and you subsequently play Gambit Accepted or in some other way
> reduce your VP total to 0, is it now no longer possible to tap it to
> gain pool?

No, it is still in play and able to be tapped.

henrik

May 5, 2009, 6:21:51 AM5/5/09
On May 4, 8:08 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > This is a query about the meaning of the word "usable" in the card
> > text. Is it possible to play the card when you have 0 VPs and wait
> > until you've gained a VP before gaining pool from it?
>
> No.

Is "usable" and "playable" always interchangable?
Without your answer, I've always figured that Momentum's Edge wasn't
playable unless you had a VP but I'm not sure if I'd ruled that way
considering the text on Elysium: The Arboretum.
There is a small difference in wording ("when" vs "if"), is that what
makes Elysium playable even though you don't control a Camarilla
vampire in combat with another Camarilla vampire? (I'm fairly sure
that would be possible.)

Elysium: The Arboretum
Type: Master
Master: unique location.
Only usable when a Camarilla vampire you control is in combat with
another Camarilla vampire. You may tap this card before range is
determined to end combat. Any Camarilla vampire can call a referendum
to burn this card as a +1 stealth political action.

LSJ

May 5, 2009, 6:50:40 AM5/5/09
henrik wrote:
> On May 4, 8:08 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Kevin Walsh wrote:
>>> This is a query about the meaning of the word "usable" in the card
>>> text. Is it possible to play the card when you have 0 VPs and wait
>>> until you've gained a VP before gaining pool from it?
>> No.
>
> Is "usable" and "playable" always interchangable?

No. Context is used.

> Without your answer, I've always figured that Momentum's Edge wasn't
> playable unless you had a VP but I'm not sure if I'd ruled that way
> considering the text on Elysium: The Arboretum.
> There is a small difference in wording ("when" vs "if"), is that what
> makes Elysium playable even though you don't control a Camarilla
> vampire in combat with another Camarilla vampire? (I'm fairly sure
> that would be possible.)

Combat never occurs in the master phase, so that couldn't be it. Context.