Disguised Weapon Question for LSJ

John Whelan

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Greetings LSJ

Suppose Angel plays a bums rush on Agrippina. As her strike, Angel
chooses to shoot Agrippina with her Ivory Bow. When the time comes for
Agrippina to choose her strike, she plays disguised weapon to pull out an
Ivory Bow. Question is: Now that Ivory Bow is contested, does Angel's
strike still resolve as normal?

Lupus Australis
____ ____
\ \----/ /
|()__()|
__\ __ /__
/ __\()/__ \
|/ \==/ \|
| || |

LSJ

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

John Whelan wrote:

> Greetings LSJ

Hello.

> Suppose Angel plays a bums rush on Agrippina. As her strike, Angel
> chooses to shoot Agrippina with her Ivory Bow. When the time comes for
> Agrippina to choose her strike, she plays disguised weapon to pull out an
> Ivory Bow. Question is: Now that Ivory Bow is contested, does Angel's
> strike still resolve as normal?

Oooh. Good question. Let me get a cuppajoe and think about it....

<long silence>

I'd say: Angel's strike fails to resolve - in much the same manner
as if her Bow had been destroyed with First Strike. That is, by
the time her strike would resolve, she no longer has the Bow (it
is being contested), so the strike fizzles. (*)

Thanks for giving me something to sink my teeth into so early
in the morning!

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

James Coupe

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

In article <351117...@wizards.com>, LSJ <vte...@wizards.com> writes

>John Whelan wrote:
>>
>> Greetings LSJ
>
>Hello.
>
>> Suppose Angel plays a bums rush on Agrippina. As her strike, Angel
>> chooses to shoot Agrippina with her Ivory Bow. When the time comes for
>> Agrippina to choose her strike, she plays disguised weapon to pull out an
>> Ivory Bow. Question is: Now that Ivory Bow is contested, does Angel's
>> strike still resolve as normal?
>
>Oooh. Good question. Let me get a cuppajoe and think about it....
>
><long silence>
>
>I'd say: Angel's strike fails to resolve - in much the same manner
>as if her Bow had been destroyed with First Strike. That is, by
>the time her strike would resolve, she no longer has the Bow (it
>is being contested), so the strike fizzles. (*)

I would also guess that it follows the precedent set by:

* Equipment only applies while in possession. If
needed for an action, the action will fizzle if the
acting minion doesn't possess the equipment when
the action resolves. :E01: [RTR 960221]

The Ivory Bow is no longer possesed when the strike resolves so I
wouldn't have thought that it would resolve either, in a similar way to
a vampire who masks a Talbot's Chainsaw rush action would fall over in a
heap when the action resolves.

--

James Coupe (change "nospam" to "obeah" to reply by e-mail)

You were my strength when I was weak. You were my voice when I couldn't speak.
You were my eyes when I couldn't see. You saw the best there was in me. Lifted
me up when I couldn't reach. You gave me faith because you believed. I'm
everything I am because you loved me.