Extortion Q

Madman2001

Jul 25, 2001, 10:13:59 AM7/25/01
Fellow Methusalehs:

Extortion reads, in part, "Only usable when this vampire successfully
blocks (play after combat, if any)". I wanted to confirm my
understanding of this, and that is that the blocking vampire must
still be ready after combat (i.e. not in torpor, not burned).

I am a bit confused since the wording implies that this card can only
be "used" at the moment that the vampire successfully blocks, but must
be "played" after combat.

Thanks in advance,
Madman

LSJ

Jul 25, 2001, 10:34:23 AM7/25/01
Madman2001 wrote:

> Fellow Methusalehs:
>
> Extortion reads, in part, "Only usable when this vampire successfully
> blocks (play after combat, if any)". I wanted to confirm my
> understanding of this, and that is that the blocking vampire must
> still be ready after combat (i.e. not in torpor, not burned).

Correct.

> I am a bit confused since the wording implies that this card can only
> be "used" at the moment that the vampire successfully blocks, but must
> be "played" after combat.

The combat is part of the block.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Joshua Duffin

Jul 25, 2001, 2:11:28 PM7/25/01
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3B5ED8EF...@white-wolf.com>...
> Madman2001 wrote:

> > I am a bit confused since the wording implies that this card can only
> > be "used" at the moment that the vampire successfully blocks, but must
> > be "played" after combat.
>
> The combat is part of the block.

"Playable by a tapped vampire" is implicit in "Only usable when
this vampire successfully blocks", right?

Josh

the always-tapped prince of washington dc

LSJ

Jul 25, 2001, 2:14:58 PM7/25/01
Joshua Duffin wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3B5ED8EF...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Madman2001 wrote:
>
> > > I am a bit confused since the wording implies that this card can only
> > > be "used" at the moment that the vampire successfully blocks, but must
> > > be "played" after combat.
> >
> > The combat is part of the block.
>
> "Playable by a tapped vampire" is implicit in "Only usable when
> this vampire successfully blocks", right?

Ugh. It should be explicit, like Cats' Guidance.
But yes, the implication is there. I'll add the errata.