Lady Constancia

Jozxyqk

Feb 7, 2008, 9:57:38 PM2/7/08
Lady Constancia's text:
"You may burn the Edge and spend a discard phase action to discard a card at
random and draw its replacement from the other cards in your ash heap."

Just one simple question:
Do I have to choose the replacement card before the random card is chosen?

LSJ

Feb 7, 2008, 10:18:08 PM2/7/08

No. You simply draw its replacement from the other cards in your ash heap.

So, while you can't draw the discarded card back, you can base your decision of
which card to draw on the knowledge of which card was discarded.

Jozxyqk

Feb 8, 2008, 6:47:25 AM2/8/08

Thanks..
OK, more questions about her ability, now that I thought about it some more:

1) Can you use her ability if you otherwise would not be replacing a discarded
card (i.e. if your library is empty) ?

2) Can you use her ability if you have an empty library *and* no cards in
hand (to just draw a card from your ash heap)?

3) Can I combine her ability with Rachel Brandywine's ability (i.e. can I
shuffle the randomly-discarded card back into my library, if I control both
of those vamps) ?

4) If there were some hypothetical way to regain the edge during one's discard
phase, would her ability be usable multiple times in the same turn?

Thanks again.

LSJ

Feb 8, 2008, 7:54:14 AM2/8/08
Jozxyqk wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Jozxyqk wrote:
>>> Lady Constancia's text:
>>> "You may burn the Edge and spend a discard phase action to discard a card at
>>> random and draw its replacement from the other cards in your ash heap."
>>>
>>> Just one simple question:
>>> Do I have to choose the replacement card before the random card is chosen?
>
>> No. You simply draw its replacement from the other cards in your ash heap.
>
>> So, while you can't draw the discarded card back, you can base your decision of
>> which card to draw on the knowledge of which card was discarded.
>
> Thanks..
> OK, more questions about her ability, now that I thought about it some more:
>
> 1) Can you use her ability if you otherwise would not be replacing a discarded
> card (i.e. if your library is empty) ?

Yes. Since your "hand size" would be greater than the number of cards you're
holding, you'd be continuously looking to replace the card at the first
opportunity. From the ash heap is fine for that opportunity.

> 2) Can you use her ability if you have an empty library *and* no cards in
> hand (to just draw a card from your ash heap)?

You can use her ability to burn the Edge (costing a DPA), but that won't get you
a draw from the ash heap, since you only draw "its replacement" from the ash heap.

> 3) Can I combine her ability with Rachel Brandywine's ability (i.e. can I
> shuffle the randomly-discarded card back into my library, if I control both
> of those vamps) ?

Yes. That's just card text.

> 4) If there were some hypothetical way to regain the edge during one's discard
> phase, would her ability be usable multiple times in the same turn?

If you had sufficient DPAs, sure. Just like you can use the ability of a Short
Term Investment multiple times in the same turn if you can get sufficient MPAs.

Jozxyqk

Feb 8, 2008, 8:03:52 AM2/8/08
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > 1) Can you use her ability if you otherwise would not be replacing a discarded
> > card (i.e. if your library is empty) ?

> Yes. Since your "hand size" would be greater than the number of cards you're
> holding, you'd be continuously looking to replace the card at the first
> opportunity. From the ash heap is fine for that opportunity.

What about if Port Authority is in play?

"When a Methuselah uses a discard phase action to discard a card,
he or she doesn't draw to replace that card until his or her next untap phase."

Does Lady Constancia's ability allow me to still replace immediately?
If not, do I still replace the card by drawing from my ash heap during my
untap phase?

LSJ

Feb 8, 2008, 8:11:55 AM2/8/08
Jozxyqk wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>>> 1) Can you use her ability if you otherwise would not be replacing a discarded
>>> card (i.e. if your library is empty) ?
>
>> Yes. Since your "hand size" would be greater than the number of cards you're
>> holding, you'd be continuously looking to replace the card at the first
>> opportunity. From the ash heap is fine for that opportunity.
>
> What about if Port Authority is in play?
>
> "When a Methuselah uses a discard phase action to discard a card,
> he or she doesn't draw to replace that card until his or her next untap phase."
>
> Does Lady Constancia's ability allow me to still replace immediately?

No, since it says nothing about overriding the delay.

> If not, do I still replace the card by drawing from my ash heap during my
> untap phase?

No. Her ability only functions when you discard the card. If the replacement
doesn't occur at that time, then you don't get to use the special replacement
(and instead, when the time comes to replace the card, you draw it from the top
of the library as normal).

Like Agaitas.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/88e6006f3a6d39f7

jigl...@las.es

Mar 20, 2008, 1:52:47 PM3/20/08
Hello my player group had a question
Can you burn the edge if controled by another player ?

aaronmiller38

Mar 20, 2008, 1:58:49 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 1:52 pm, jigle...@las.es wrote:
> Hello my player group had a question
> Can you burn the edge if controled by another player ?

No.

The ability says: "YOU may burn the Edge and spend a discard phase

action to discard a card at
random and draw its replacement from the other cards in your ash
heap."

Therefore you must control the edge to use this ability.

XZealot

Mar 20, 2008, 1:59:43 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 11:52 am, jigle...@las.es wrote:
> Hello my player group had a question
> Can you burn the edge if controled by another player ?

No, you must control the edge to burn it in any situation.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp