Torn Signpost and a Vampire's base Strength

bernard....@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2005, 8:46:26 PM10/16/05
I'm sure I've seen this in a post before but I can't find it for the
life of me.

When playing Torn Signpost on a vampire who's card text says strength +
x Does Torn signpost cancel out the + x part of the text?

I would say yes, since TS says "[pot] This vampire has a strength of 2
for the remainder of the combat" and "[POT] this vampire has a strength
of 3 for the remainder of the combat."

LSJ

Oct 16, 2005, 9:27:02 PM10/16/05
bernard....@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sure I've seen this in a post before but I can't find it for the
> life of me.
>
> When playing Torn Signpost on a vampire who's card text says strength +
> x Does Torn signpost cancel out the + x part of the text?

No.

> I would say yes, since TS says "[pot] This vampire has a strength of 2
> for the remainder of the combat" and "[POT] this vampire has a strength
> of 3 for the remainder of the combat."

The +X is added to the minion's strength, whatever it is.

--
That is my story, be it bitter or be it sweet.
Keep a little and let a little come back to me.

Odrich Wendergass

Oct 16, 2005, 10:34:14 PM10/16/05

LSJ wrote:
> bernard....@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm sure I've seen this in a post before but I can't find it for the
> > life of me.
> >
> > When playing Torn Signpost on a vampire who's card text says strength +
> > x Does Torn signpost cancel out the + x part of the text?
>
> No.
>
> > I would say yes, since TS says "[pot] This vampire has a strength of 2
> > for the remainder of the combat" and "[POT] this vampire has a strength
> > of 3 for the remainder of the combat."
>
> The +X is added to the minion's strength, whatever it is.
>
> --

Just to illustrate:
Nigel, the Shunned (POT) gets into combat.
He plays Torn Signpost. (base Strength is set at 3)
He plays Increased Strength. (strength +2 for a POT strike)
He plays Immortal Grapple.
He strikes with Undead Strength. (strike at +2 damage)

Nigel therefore deals
3 (base Str) + 2 (Undead Str) + 2 (Increased Str) = 7 damage.

Needless to say, it goes nicely with Disarm. :D

OW

CthuluKitty

Oct 17, 2005, 2:32:02 PM10/17/05
> Nigel, the Shunned (POT) gets into combat.
> He plays Torn Signpost. (base Strength is set at 3)
> He plays Increased Strength. (strength +2 for a POT strike)
> He plays Immortal Grapple.
> He strikes with Undead Strength. (strike at +2 damage)
>
> Nigel therefore deals
> 3 (base Str) + 2 (Undead Str) + 2 (Increased Str) = 7 damage.

Increased Strength does not actually increase strength (ironically).
It just adds to the damage of potence strikes.

Omael

Oct 18, 2005, 10:32:48 PM10/18/05
Bernard: the old version of the torn sign post said that the minion get
3 of strength, but the new ones say that the minion get +2 of strength.
I'd play a lazverinus deck with 10 posts :)

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

Oct 18, 2005, 11:57:26 PM10/18/05
> Bernard: the old version of the torn sign post said that the minion get
> 3 of strength, but the new ones say that the minion get +2 of strength.
> I'd play a lazverinus deck with 10 posts :)

Torn Signpost still says 2/3. Otherwise, they'd have to change the text to
only have an effect once per combat.

bernard....@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2005, 7:22:26 PM10/19/05
So just to confirm. Enkidu has strenth +2. He plays a Torn Signpost
that sets his strength to 3 but because he has strength +2 his strength
is effectively 5 + any strike cards he may play assuming they do +x
strength damge?

Doug

Oct 19, 2005, 8:29:04 PM10/19/05

Correct.

A good way of remembering this is that all vampires, by default, have a
base strength of 1. Torn Signpost temporarily changes the vampire's
base strength to 2 at inferior, or 3 at superior. You then add any
additional bonuses, including the bonus given by a vampires special
ability text.

Doug