2008 Promo cards released

The Lasombra

Feb 4, 2008, 7:54:02 PM2/4/08
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=checklist_Promos

2008 Promo cards

Cloak of the Abalone (2008 Tournament promo)
Convergence (2008 Tournament promo)
Nergal (ADV) (2008 Tournament promo)
Path of the Void (2008 Tournament promo)
Reliquary: Shango Remains (2008 Tournament promo)
Sound of a Breaking Oath (2008 Tournament promo)
Treaty of Laibach (2008 Tournament promo)
Walks-with-Might (2008 Tournament promo)

Cloak of the Abalone [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Equipment
Unique equipment.
Toreador and Toreador antitribu cannot block this minion.
Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Convergence [LotN:Promo]
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Pander
Master.
Move 1 blood from each ready Pander you control to a Pander in your
uncontrolled region.
Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Nergal [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Baali
Level: Advanced
Group: 5
Capacity: 10
Discipline: AUS DAI FOR OBF PRE THA
Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
Infernal.
Artist: Ron Lemon

Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 1 pool
Unique master. Path.
Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
-1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Reliquary: Shango Remains [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Equipment
Clan: Assamite
Equipment.
Choose an Assamite in your ash heap or burn 1 pool to choose an
Assamite in your uncontrolled region. Remove that Assamite from the
game or burn this reliquary. Once per turn, if this Assamite is ready,
he or she may burn 1 blood to give you +2 hand size for the remainder
of the turn; this ability cannot be used during combat.
Artist: Andrew Trabbold

Sound of a Breaking Oath [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Action/Reaction
Discipline: Auspex & Dominate
[aus][dom] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. Put this card on a minion you
control. If an action to steal the minion with this card is
successful, this minion is burned instead and the acting minion takes
1 unpreventable damage.
[AUS][DOM] [REACTION] As above, but play when an action to steal a
minion you control is successful.
Artist: Jeff Laubenstein

Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
[ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
Artist: Torstein Nordstrand

Walks-With-Might [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Ally
Cost: 2 pool
Unique werewolf with 4 life. 0 bleed, 3 strength.
Master cards cost you an additional pool. Walks-With-Might gets +1
intercept against Followers of Set. Each strike or damaging effect
made against him inflicts 1 less damage on him.
Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Wookie813

Feb 4, 2008, 8:09:04 PM2/4/08
Nergal [Promo-20080203]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Baali
Level: Advanced
Group: 5
Capacity: 10
Discipline: AUS DAI FOR OBF PRE THA
Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
Infernal.
Artist: Ron Lemon

...because it was SO difficult to get actions through with basic
Nergal. :/

AcheronNi...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2008, 8:18:49 PM2/4/08

truly lord of hell :]

powerful vampire - just as basic version - but dont worry - even
assamites gets their toys ;)

Wookie813

Feb 4, 2008, 8:53:58 PM2/4/08

My imaginings of the process by which Nergal ADV came to be:

LSJ is talking to a play ester. We'll call him "Baali Freak", or BF.

LSJ: What do you have for me?
BF: Well, I played 42 games with the Nergal deck you built for me, but
was only able to get 40 table sweeps.
LSJ: Hmmm. <scratches chin> What happened in those two games?
BF: I decked myself playing minion phase untaps, stealth, and block
fails cards through three ousts, and couldn't out-bloat weenie
presence bleed predators. Playing him is just a touch card intensive.
LSJ: <nodding> Ok. I'll see what I can do.

Hardy Range

Feb 5, 2008, 4:18:58 AM2/5/08
On Feb 5, 1:54 am, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=checklist_Promos
>
> 2008 Promo cards
>
> Cloak of the Abalone    (2008 Tournament promo)
> Convergence     (2008 Tournament promo)
> Nergal  (ADV)    (2008 Tournament promo)
> Path of the Void        (2008 Tournament promo)
> Reliquary: Shango Remains       (2008 Tournament promo)
> Sound of a Breaking Oath        (2008 Tournament promo)
> Treaty of Laibach       (2008 Tournament promo)
> Walks-with-Might        (2008 Tournament promo)

During the update on WW's promo card list in the web, the entry for
Argent Baton seems to have disappeared...

Regards,

Hardy

Hardy Range

Feb 5, 2008, 4:26:16 AM2/5/08
On Feb 5, 1:54 am, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Convergence [LotN:Promo]
> Cardtype: Master
> Clan: Pander
> Master.
> Move 1 blood from each ready Pander you control to a Pander in your
> uncontrolled region.
> Artist: Brian LeBlanc

What is the official release date for this card, and when does it
become tournament legal?

Regards,

Hardy

coincoi...@hotmail.com

Feb 5, 2008, 4:31:29 AM2/5/08
not too many wallpapers :) great.

Huruem

Feb 5, 2008, 5:59:12 AM2/5/08
On 5 fév, 10:31, coincoinmas...@hotmail.com wrote:
> not too many wallpapers :) great.

Sound of a Breaking Oath [Promo-20080203]

Cardtype: Action/Reaction
Discipline: Auspex & Dominate
[aus][dom] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. Put this card on a minion you
control. If an action to steal the minion with this card is
successful, this minion is burned instead and the acting minion takes
1 unpreventable damage.
[AUS][DOM] [REACTION] As above, but play when an action to steal a
minion you control is successful.
Artist: Jeff Laubenstein

Hem, what's the point of cutting trees and wasting ink for that,
seriously.

Arthur

Petri Wessman

Feb 5, 2008, 6:53:07 AM2/5/08

Ummm... what? I was just thinking that the above card is one of the
more useful ones in the set, most of the others seem a lot more
wallpapery to me.

When playing an ally deck, reducing incentive of stealing your allies
(and diminishing ease of them getting used against you) is pretty big.
The aus/dom requirement is hinderance, of course. We'll see if this
actually ends up being useful.

//Petri

Emiliano Imeroni

Feb 5, 2008, 8:33:42 AM2/5/08
The Lasombra wrote:

> Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Master
> Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
> Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
> Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
> level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
> [ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
> to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
> Artist: Torstein Nordstrand

A doubt about this card...

If I control a Follower of Set with ser THA, will the Treaty actually
*remove* one level of Thaumaturgy? I'd say yes (but probably
it is not designer's intent).

Same story for a Tremere with tha SER. Ok, this situation does
not apply to any out-of-the-box vampire at the moment, but it is
not impossible to realize...

Ciao ciao,
Emiliano

Orpheus

Feb 5, 2008, 8:35:06 AM2/5/08
>> Hem, what's the point of cutting trees and wasting ink for that,
>> seriously.

Poor trees... :-(

>> Arthur
>
> Ummm... what? I was just thinking that the above card is one of the
> more useful ones in the set, most of the others seem a lot more
> wallpapery to me.
>
> When playing an ally deck, reducing incentive of stealing your allies
> (and diminishing ease of them getting used against you) is pretty big.
> The aus/dom requirement is hinderance, of course. We'll see if this
> actually ends up being useful.

OTOH, when you're playing Aus you can also just block the stealer and kick
him in the face...

Or if you're playing Dom you might want to steal the guy back, it's way more
useful !!

In short, I'm afraid that our local nobleman has got it right here.
--
Orpheus, unofficial Shemti model.

LSJ

Feb 5, 2008, 8:38:11 AM2/5/08
Emiliano Imeroni wrote:
> The Lasombra wrote:
>
>> Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
>> Cardtype: Master
>> Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
>> Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
>> Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
>> level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
>> [ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
>> to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
>> Artist: Torstein Nordstrand
>
> A doubt about this card...
>
> If I control a Follower of Set with ser THA, will the Treaty actually
> *remove* one level of Thaumaturgy? I'd say yes (but probably
> it is not designer's intent).

Yes.

Johannes Walch

Feb 5, 2008, 11:13:03 AM2/5/08
coincoi...@hotmail.com schrieb:

> not too many wallpapers :) great.

you are a funny guy :)
1 really good (Nergal).
3 cornercase/might be useful
4 crap

oh my.

> Cloak of the Abalone [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Equipment
> Unique equipment.
> Toreador and Toreador antitribu cannot block this minion.
> Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Corner case, but ok for no cost.
When you have Magic of the Smith, might be an idea, esp. in tournaments
where you expect a lot of AAA or Palla-Embrace.

> Convergence [LotN:Promo]
> Cardtype: Master
> Clan: Pander
> Master.
> Move 1 blood from each ready Pander you control to a Pander in your
> uncontrolled region.
> Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Can be interesting. Play many at the start of game, recycle later with
Anthelios.

> Nergal [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Baali
> Level: Advanced
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS DAI FOR OBF PRE THA
> Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
> acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
> Infernal.
> Artist: Ron Lemon

Awesome!

> Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Master
> Cost: 1 pool
> Unique master. Path.
> Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
> -1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
> During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
> a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
> commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
> Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Crap.

> Reliquary: Shango Remains [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Equipment
> Clan: Assamite
> Equipment.
> Choose an Assamite in your ash heap or burn 1 pool to choose an
> Assamite in your uncontrolled region. Remove that Assamite from the
> game or burn this reliquary. Once per turn, if this Assamite is ready,
> he or she may burn 1 blood to give you +2 hand size for the remainder
> of the turn; this ability cannot be used during combat.
> Artist: Andrew Trabbold

Too costly (at 1 pool and loose a minion).

> Sound of a Breaking Oath [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Action/Reaction
> Discipline: Auspex & Dominate
> [aus][dom] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. Put this card on a minion you
> control. If an action to steal the minion with this card is
> successful, this minion is burned instead and the acting minion takes
> 1 unpreventable damage.
> [AUS][DOM] [REACTION] As above, but play when an action to steal a
> minion you control is successful.
> Artist: Jeff Laubenstein

Too cornercase. Prefer D.I.

> Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Master
> Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
> Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
> Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
> level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
> [ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
> to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
> Artist: Torstein Nordstrand

Interesting. Perhaps. Must check vampires.

> Walks-With-Might [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Ally
> Cost: 2 pool
> Unique werewolf with 4 life. 0 bleed, 3 strength.
> Master cards cost you an additional pool. Walks-With-Might gets +1
> intercept against Followers of Set. Each strike or damaging effect
> made against him inflicts 1 less damage on him.
> Artist: Brian LeBlanc

Master cards cost +1? So this ally will easily cost you 5-6 pool? What a
crap.

--
Johannnes Walch

OrgPlay

Feb 5, 2008, 11:38:31 AM2/5/08
On Feb 5, 11:13 am, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
> coincoinmas...@hotmail.com schrieb:

> > not too many wallpapers :) great.
>
> you are a funny guy :)
> 1 really good (Nergal).
> 3 cornercase/might be useful
> 4 crap
>
> oh my.
>
> > Cloak of the Abalone [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Equipment
> > Unique equipment.
> > Toreador and Toreador antitribu cannot block this minion.
> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> Corner case, but ok for no cost.
> When you have Magic of the Smith, might be an idea, esp. in tournaments
> where you expect a lot of AAA or Palla-Embrace.

I wish this card was printed back when i was living in Texas. Ethan
Burrow would be a different player now, altogether :)

> > Convergence [LotN:Promo]
> > Cardtype: Master
> > Clan: Pander
> > Master.
> > Move 1 blood from each ready Pander you control to a Pander in your
> > uncontrolled region.
> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> Can be interesting. Play many at the start of game, recycle later with
> Anthelios.

Bay and Howl for Pander, nice.

> > Nergal [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Vampire
> > Clan: Baali
> > Level: Advanced
> > Group: 5
> > Capacity: 10
> > Discipline: AUS DAI FOR OBF PRE THA
> > Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
> > acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
> > Infernal.
> > Artist: Ron Lemon
>
> Awesome!

agreed

> > Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Master
> > Cost: 1 pool
> > Unique master. Path.
> > Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
> > -1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
> > During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
> > a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
> > commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> Crap.

Sargon with the Path of the Void. Super hot tech.

> > Reliquary: Shango Remains [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Equipment
> > Clan: Assamite
> > Equipment.
> > Choose an Assamite in your ash heap or burn 1 pool to choose an
> > Assamite in your uncontrolled region. Remove that Assamite from the
> > game or burn this reliquary. Once per turn, if this Assamite is ready,
> > he or she may burn 1 blood to give you +2 hand size for the remainder
> > of the turn; this ability cannot be used during combat.
> > Artist: Andrew Trabbold
>
> Too costly (at 1 pool and loose a minion).

Costs nothing to start. 1 pool and you lose a vamp in uncontrolled?
Assamites love this card. totally playable.

> > Sound of a Breaking Oath [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Action/Reaction
> > Discipline: Auspex & Dominate
> > [aus][dom] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. Put this card on a minion you
> > control. If an action to steal the minion with this card is
> > successful, this minion is burned instead and the acting minion takes
> > 1 unpreventable damage.
> > [AUS][DOM] [REACTION] As above, but play when an action to steal a
> > minion you control is successful.
> > Artist: Jeff Laubenstein
>
> Too cornercase. Prefer D.I.

could be a Possession angle. haven't researched it fully.

> > Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Master
> > Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
> > Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
> > Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
> > level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
> > [ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
> > to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
> > Artist: Torstein Nordstrand
>
> Interesting. Perhaps. Must check vampires.

Temptations and Cryptic Missions. probably makes for decent
toolboxing, too.

> > Walks-With-Might [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Ally
> > Cost: 2 pool
> > Unique werewolf with 4 life. 0 bleed, 3 strength.
> > Master cards cost you an additional pool. Walks-With-Might gets +1
> > intercept against Followers of Set. Each strike or damaging effect
> > made against him inflicts 1 less damage on him.
> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> Master cards cost +1? So this ally will easily cost you 5-6 pool? What a
> crap.

WWM + Pariah.

oscar

Todd Banister

Feb 5, 2008, 11:45:08 AM2/5/08
> > Reliquary: Shango Remains [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Equipment
> > Clan: Assamite
> > Equipment.
> > Choose an Assamite in your ash heap or burn 1 pool to choose an
> > Assamite in your uncontrolled region. Remove that Assamite from the
> > game or burn this reliquary. Once per turn, if this Assamite is ready,
> > he or she may burn 1 blood to give you +2 hand size for the remainder
> > of the turn; this ability cannot be used during combat.
> > Artist: Andrew Trabbold
>
> Too costly (at 1 pool and loose a minion).

Too costly? Hardly. Perhaps for other clans but not the Assamites. Why?
Because a high percentage of decks are "star" type decks where you are
packing 3-4 (sometimes more) copies of the same vamp. If you get an extra in
your opening draw - even better at this point as that useless 2x copy of
Fatima, Tariq, etc can now be put to use.

So the real cost is slightly over 1 pool and a blood per round. For an
increase of +2 Hand Size? I'm all about this. Combine this with the Elder
Library and a Fragments and you should be able to cycle your deck very
quickly.

Think about using this card with Thucimia... oh yum!

Also - I'd have to check with Scott or Jeff but from this wording, you might
be able to get multiple uses from the Remains in a single round by
transferring the card to another Assamite after using it. It doesn't tap to
invoke the hand increase. It simply states that once per turn, the Assamite
with the Remains may burn a blood to increase you hand size. Fine - have
someone invoke it, increase your hand and then move/pass it to another to
invoke it again. Think about that one for a bit. Oh my.

So is this card too costly and just crap? Absolutely.... and I'll gladly
trade for everyone you care to get rid of.

Todd B.

Johannes Walch

Feb 5, 2008, 11:56:08 AM2/5/08
Todd Banister schrieb:

I am pretty worried about the 1 blood cost per round and the action you
take to employ it. All the Assamite stuff costs allready blood and this
will just be on top. And if you play star Vampire you have only a few
actions and cant probably equip too much.

Compare it to the Heart of Cheating. This one doesn´t even require a
clan, has a better ability (IMHO, since you dont loose the cards), does
not require to burn a vamp in unco/ash heap AND doesnt cost blood to
use. Sure it might be more easily contested, but I will take my chances.

I would definitely play this card in an Amaravati vote deck though. But
I would have loved some combat support for the Assamites not boosting
the only Tier-1 deck they allready have.

--
Johannes Walch

LSJ

Feb 5, 2008, 11:58:13 AM2/5/08
Todd Banister wrote:
>>> Reliquary: Shango Remains [Promo-20080203]

>>> Choose an Assamite in your ash heap or burn 1 pool to choose an
>>> Assamite in your uncontrolled region. Remove that Assamite from the
>>> game or burn this reliquary. Once per turn, if this Assamite is ready,
>>> he or she may burn 1 blood to give you +2 hand size for the remainder
>>> of the turn; this ability cannot be used during combat.

> Also - I'd have to check with Scott or Jeff but from this wording, you might

> be able to get multiple uses from the Remains in a single round by
> transferring the card to another Assamite after using it. It doesn't tap to
> invoke the hand increase. It simply states that once per turn, the Assamite
> with the Remains may burn a blood to increase you hand size. Fine - have
> someone invoke it, increase your hand and then move/pass it to another to
> invoke it again. Think about that one for a bit. Oh my.

No. Card text restricts to once each turn. See also Black Forest Base.

librarian

Feb 5, 2008, 12:02:53 PM2/5/08
OrgPlay wrote:
> On Feb 5, 11:13 am, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
>> coincoinmas...@hotmail.com schrieb:
>>

>> > Treaty of Laibach [Promo-20080203]
>> > Cardtype: Master
>> > Clan: Follower of Set/Tremere
>> > Unique master. Requires both Follower of Set and Tremere.
>> > Put this card in play. Each Follower of Set is considered to have a
>> > level of Thaumaturgy [tha] equal to his or her level of Serpentis
>> > [ser]. Each Tremere is considered to have a level of Serpentis equal
>> > to his or her level of Thaumaturgy.
>> > Artist: Torstein Nordstrand
>>
>> Interesting. Perhaps. Must check vampires.
>
> Temptations and Cryptic Missions. probably makes for decent
> toolboxing, too.

May also combo well with an upcoming Anarch card. May not.

best -

chris

--
Super Fun Cards
http://stores.ebay.com/superfuncards/

wumpus

Feb 5, 2008, 1:59:59 PM2/5/08
Howdy,

> Sound of a Breaking Oath [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Action/Reaction
> Discipline: Auspex & Dominate
> [aus][dom] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. Put this card on a minion you
> control. If an action to steal the minion with this card is
> successful, this minion is burned instead and the acting minion takes
> 1 unpreventable damage.
> [AUS][DOM] [REACTION] As above, but play when an action to steal a
> minion you control is successful.
> Artist: Jeff Laubenstein
>
> Hem, what's the point of cutting trees and wasting ink for that,
> seriously.

I immediately thought that this card could be very nasty...in a deck
that runs Temptation or Mind Rape.

Steal your prey's vampire. While you control it, play SoaBO on it.
It returns to its controller. Steal it again. It burns (and the
thief takes one unpreventable - who is the acting minion if you used
Mind Rape?). Three actions to burn a vampire, w/o diablerie? Could
even be a trophy concept?

BTW, 'steal' isn't a V:TES keyword with respect to minions, as far as
I can see. I'm assuming it refers to any effect that causes control
to change, even temporary.

Alex

shawn stanley

Feb 5, 2008, 6:49:48 PM2/5/08
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:59:59 -0800 (PST), wumpus <wum...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Neither Temptation or Mind Rape are actions which steal minions. Yes
they are actions which result in vampires chanigng control later, but
the actions themselves don't steal minions.

wumpus

Feb 5, 2008, 7:59:54 PM2/5/08
Howdy shawn,

> >BTW, 'steal' isn't a V:TES keyword with respect to minions, as far as
> >I can see.  I'm assuming it refers to any effect that causes control
> >to change, even temporary.
>

> Neither Temptation or Mind Rape are actions which steal minions.  Yes
> they are actions which result in vampires chanigng control later, but
> the actions themselves don't steal minions.

OK, so which actions do count as stealing a minion? I don't see that
language ('steal') on any minion control changing card.

Or is it just that the direct result of the action must be for control
to change for it to count with respect to Sound of a Breaking Oath,
such that, for instance, Far Mastery would count (for an ally)? If
so, does Corruption work? It's not really the action so much as the
burning of the counters empowered by the action card that causes the
control change there. Are there any actions that cause immediate
temporary control change?

Alex

LSJ

Feb 5, 2008, 8:22:48 PM2/5/08
wumpus wrote:
> Howdy shawn,
>
>>> BTW, 'steal' isn't a V:TES keyword with respect to minions, as far as
>>> I can see.

Right. It's just being used for its English usage here.

>>> I'm assuming it refers to any effect that causes control
>>> to change, even temporary.

Correct.

See also various powerbases, Calebros, Chronicle of the Lost Tribe, Dauntain,
Erciyes Fragment, Ethan Locke, High Museum of Art, &c.

>> Neither Temptation or Mind Rape are actions which steal minions. Yes
>> they are actions which result in vampires chanigng control later, but
>> the actions themselves don't steal minions.
>
> OK, so which actions do count as stealing a minion? I don't see that
> language ('steal') on any minion control changing card.

control-change = steal

> Or is it just that the direct result of the action must be for control
> to change for it to count with respect to Sound of a Breaking Oath,
> such that, for instance, Far Mastery would count (for an ally)?

Yes.

> If
> so, does Corruption work? It's not really the action so much as the
> burning of the counters empowered by the action card that causes the
> control change there.

Correct, it doesn't count.

> Are there any actions that cause immediate
> temporary control change?

Spirit Marionette.

Sten During

Feb 5, 2008, 8:32:41 PM2/5/08
wumpus wrote:
> Howdy shawn,
>
>>> BTW, 'steal' isn't a V:TES keyword with respect to minions, as far as
>>> I can see. I'm assuming it refers to any effect that causes control
>>> to change, even temporary.
>> Neither Temptation or Mind Rape are actions which steal minions. Yes
>> they are actions which result in vampires chanigng control later, but
>> the actions themselves don't steal minions.
>
> OK, so which actions do count as stealing a minion? I don't see that
> language ('steal') on any minion control changing card.

Nitpick: Mary Johnson and Olga Triminov.

Sten During

Sten During

Feb 5, 2008, 8:36:59 PM2/5/08

>> Are there any actions that cause immediate
>> temporary control change?
>
> Spirit Marionette.

Chiming in with a couple of corner-case ones.

Reindoctrination (spelling correct), Ayeela
The Manipulator and a few vamps with the printed
disadvantage (or ability if you prefer) to be
stolen.

LSJ

Feb 5, 2008, 8:44:09 PM2/5/08
Sten During wrote:
>>> Are there any actions that cause immediate
>>> temporary control change?
>> Spirit Marionette.
>
> Chiming in with a couple of corner-case ones.
>
> Reindoctrination (spelling correct),

... is permanent.

> Ayeela
> The Manipulator and a few vamps with the printed
> disadvantage (or ability if you prefer) to be
> stolen.

Also Puppeteer.

Janne Hägglund

Feb 6, 2008, 9:04:08 AM2/6/08
Johannes Walch <johanne...@vekn.de> writes:

> coincoi...@hotmail.com schrieb:

> > Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
> > Cardtype: Master
> > Cost: 1 pool
> > Unique master. Path.
> > Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
> > -1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
> > During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
> > a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
> > commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> Crap.

How about turning the "discard a master card" disadvantage into an advantage?

Such as, having a lot of Zillah's Valleys. In the beginning, bring your
star(s) up fast. Then, discard extra Valleys with Path of the Void.
(Or use Legendary Vampires, Proxy Kisseds, Galaric's Lecacies, whatever.)

HG

--
hg@ "If you can't offend part of your audience,
iki.fi there is no point in being an artist at all." -Hakim Bey

Petri Wessman

Feb 6, 2008, 10:11:26 AM2/6/08
On Feb 5, 3:35 pm, "Orpheus" <orpheus...@DEADSPAMfree.fr> wrote:
> > Ummm... what? I was just thinking that the above card is one of the
> > more useful ones in the set, most of the others seem a lot more
> > wallpapery to me.
>
> > When playing an ally deck, reducing incentive of stealing your allies
> > (and diminishing ease of them getting used against you) is pretty big.
> > The aus/dom requirement is hinderance, of course. We'll see if this
> > actually ends up being useful.
>
> OTOH, when you're playing Aus you can also just block the stealer and kick
> him in the face...
>
> Or if you're playing Dom you might want to steal the guy back, it's way more
> useful !!
>
> In short, I'm afraid that our local nobleman has got it right here.

True, up to a point. I still don't think it's wallpaper. Your deck
might not be set up to fight, and/or you might want additional
insurance. As for Dom, sure you can steal them back... but why not do
both (i.e. prevent stealing of your allies *and* steal theirs)? Sure,
if you're confident you'll always be able to steal it back then a pure
"steal back" defense is better -- but that's not always the case.
Having your own War Ghoul beat you up is a demoralizing experience :)

The thing is, this card lessens incentive to steal your allies, and I
see that as valuable for many decks, especially since the permanent
effect only required basic aus+dom.

Sure, it's no power card and it's only useful for some very specific
(rare) deck types, but I still assert that it's far from being
wallpaper. Time will tell.

//Petri

Jozxyqk

Feb 6, 2008, 10:42:55 AM2/6/08
Janne Hägglund <h...@iki.fi.remove.these.invalid> wrote:
> > > Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]

> How about turning the "discard a master card" disadvantage into an advantage?

> Such as, having a lot of Zillah's Valleys. In the beginning, bring your
> star(s) up fast. Then, discard extra Valleys with Path of the Void.
> (Or use Legendary Vampires, Proxy Kisseds, Galaric's Lecacies, whatever.)

Trophies!

Mr_Wyrm (AKA Pentex)

Feb 6, 2008, 12:35:13 PM2/6/08

> Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> writes:
> > coincoinmas...@hotmail.com schrieb:

> >  > Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
> >  > Cardtype: Master
> >  > Cost: 1 pool
> >  > Unique master. Path.
> >  > Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
> >  > -1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
> >  > During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
> >  > a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
> >  > commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
> >  > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>
> > Crap.

i dont think that this card is crap. +1stealth and 1 damage as D is
nice. i think as example in Free States Rant deck or cryptic mission
as sealth and torporize machine. also, in a cornercase way, you can
save a minion from a sensory deprivation (not so common cause is not
reprinted) or an alternative way to untap an infernal minion (cybelle
decks that abuse of master cards).

i like to have 2 copies of this card (and not new copies of marcus
vitel!!! XD )

John Flournoy

Feb 6, 2008, 1:03:20 PM2/6/08
On Feb 6, 11:35 am, "Mr_Wyrm (AKA Pentex)" <shaitan.ba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

It doesn't untap minions, infernal or otherwise. Nor does it get
around Sensory Deprivation.

An infernal minion can get around the penalty of this card (by paying
a pool to untap after tapping for PotV.) But the Path taps the
vampire, not untaps them.

-John Flournoy

librarian

Feb 6, 2008, 1:20:57 PM2/6/08
Janne Hägglund wrote:
> Johannes Walch <johanne...@vekn.de> writes:
>
>> coincoi...@hotmail.com schrieb:
>> > Path of the Void [Promo-20080203]
>> > Cardtype: Master
>> > Cost: 1 pool
>> > Unique master. Path.
>> > Put this card on a vampire you control. This vampire gets +1 stealth,
>> > -1 bleed, and can inflict 1 damage on any minion as a (D) action.
>> > During this vampire's untap phase, his or her controller must discard
>> > a master card or tap this vampire. Burn this card if this vampire
>> > commits diablerie. A vampire can have only one path.
>> > Artist: Brian LeBlanc
>>
>> Crap.
>
> How about turning the "discard a master card" disadvantage into an advantage?
>
> Such as, having a lot of Zillah's Valleys. In the beginning, bring your
> star(s) up fast. Then, discard extra Valleys with Path of the Void.
> (Or use Legendary Vampires, Proxy Kisseds, Galaric's Lecacies, whatever.)
>
> HG

Good for 3rd Trad decks. Discard the discipline master cards.

Also, gives your breeder +1 st, that's good.

nys...@cs.com

Feb 6, 2008, 1:58:27 PM2/6/08
On Feb 5, 8:35 am, "Orpheus" <orpheus...@DEADSPAMfree.fr> wrote:
> >> Hem, what's the point of cutting trees and wasting ink for that,
> >> seriously.
>
> Poor trees... :-(
>

> >> Arthur
>
> > Ummm... what? I was just thinking that the above card is one of the
> > more useful ones in the set, most of the others seem a lot more
> > wallpapery to me.
>
> > When playing an ally deck, reducing incentive of stealing your allies
> > (and diminishing ease of them getting used against you) is pretty big.
> > The aus/dom requirement is hinderance, of course. We'll see if this
> > actually ends up being useful.
>
> OTOH, when you're playing Aus you can also just block the stealer and kick
> him in the face...

You can still do that ... It is just that you are more likely to be
successful if you only have to worry about your predator or prey
making the try, rather than some cross-table dude, who doesn't
particularly want to hurt you, but just thinks it would be real nice
to have Muddles for himself, and just can't resist the urge to play
the Far Mastery card he put in his deck.

> Or if you're playing Dom you might want to steal the guy back, it's way more
> useful !!

You might. But, unlike Far Mastery, one can get this new card out of
one's hand and onto the table. One need not leave it to clog one's
hand, while one waits to see it one will eventually need it.

Moreover, Far Mastery will not recover a BURNED minion, like some
Obeah or Necromancy cards can. Hence, the above protection works far
better with the latter strategy.

Raille

Feb 7, 2008, 5:55:59 AM2/7/08

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=checklist_Promos

> Nergal [Promo-20080203]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Baali
> Level: Advanced
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS DAI FOR OBF PRE THA
> Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
> acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
> Infernal.
> Artist: Ron Lemon

Apparently Nobody caught this error.

But I have never found a means of playing reaction cards when I was
activing.

Perhaps there is a typo here?

Raille

LSJ

Feb 7, 2008, 6:38:50 AM2/7/08
Raille wrote:
> "The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nergal [Promo-20080203]

>> Independent: Reaction cards cost an additional blood when Nergal is
>> acting. Once each action, Nergal may burn 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
>> Infernal.
>> Artist: Ron Lemon
>>

> Apparently Nobody caught this error.
>
> But I have never found a means of playing reaction cards when I was
> activing.
>
> Perhaps there is a typo here?

Besides activing and the capitalization on Nobody, no. :-)

It is conceivable that there are minions who wish to play reaction cards when
Nergal is acting, even if Nergal himself is not able to play them.

Jozxyqk

Feb 7, 2008, 6:44:10 AM2/7/08
Raille <rai...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No typo.
When Nergal is acting, other Methuselahs might want to play reaction cards.
Those cards will cost +1 blood.
It's a benefit, not a drawback.

Also note that it means that allies can't play reaction cards while
Nergal is acting (unless they are using their "as a vampire" ability).

Cantila

Feb 7, 2008, 7:46:30 PM2/7/08
On Feb 5, 5:13 pm, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
> coincoinmas...@hotmail.com schrieb:
>  >Soundof aBreakingOath[Promo-20080203]

It's not crap, It's a cheap way to get an Abomination out!

Raille

Feb 7, 2008, 8:30:12 PM2/7/08

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

Ah.
I'm blaming reading these things pre-coffee.

Raille

suolir...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2008, 2:14:54 PM3/5/08
On 6 helmi, 19:35, "Mr_Wyrm (AKA Pentex)" <shaitan.ba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> writes:

> > > Crap.
>
> i dont think that this card is crap. +1stealth and 1 damage as D is
> nice. i think as example in Free States Rant deck or cryptic mission
> as sealth and torporize machine. also, in a cornercase way, you can
> save a minion from a sensory deprivation (not so common cause is not
> reprinted) or an alternative way to untap an infernal minion (cybelle
> decks that abuse of master cards).
>
> i like to have 2 copies of this card (and not new copies of marcus
> vitel!!! XD )

And Firebrand works around it pretty nicely. If you don't have a
Galaric's Legacy to discard, that is.