Melbourne Fight Club

noodleboy

Aug 4, 2003, 10:18:51 PM8/4/03
Only 9 souls were brave enough to front up for the utter carnage that
was Melbourne Fight Club, yet what we lacked in numbers we made up for
in sheer brutality.

The rules of Fight Club [which you do NOT talk about] were as follows.

1: 60 card deck limit. [no shoes, no shirts]
2: 40 minute time limit. [if a fighter taps out/loses consciousness,
the fight is over]
3: Two player games. [one fight at a time, fellas]
4: Storyline crypts
5: No banned cards, but decks must be combat themed. Bitter
recriminations shall be cast at those who's decks are deemed as not in
the spirit of Fight Club.

The decks were as follows:

Jason: Lasombra OBT/FOR
Cameron: Tzimisce ANI/VIC
Steve V: Gangrel PRO/ANI/FOR
Dave: Ventrue FOR/Shotties
Craig: Setite weenie horde with marks of Damnation
Steve B: Harbringers FOR/Guns
Punch: Assamites QUI/CEL
Disco Stu: Goyles! Goyles! Goyles!
Andy: Cailean long range POT

Surprisingly, only one deck was packing Immortal Grapples [disco stu's
gargoyles] and that was the one deck I didn't face all day. I suppose
with the problem of SCE largely nullified by the Fight Club rules [a
deck packing Majesties or Earth Melds would have been screamed down
very quickly by the bloodthirsty mob] no-one thought they needed to
bother with Grappley goodness. My deck basically operated around
merged Lucita and unadvanced Marcus, with Entombments and Amaranths, a
whole truckload of FORT, and various OBT support cards [Shadow Steps,
Darkness Within, Arms of the Abyss]. In the absence of Grapples and
the much feared but not played Illusions of the Kindred, team Lasombra
ruled the day.

Craig's Setite weenies ran me to a draw, but the Famous and triple
Damned Lucita still managed to torp/burn five weenies in two turns and
stay alive until the time out. My inexplicable failure to include a
Tension in the Ranks in my deck [I swore I put one in there] probably
stopped me winning this one.

Other than the draw with the Setites, team Lasombra was undefeated.
The tons of FORT most people were relying on did nothing against
Entombment. Dave's occasional Thoughts Betrayed were a pain in the
ass, but a Chiram's Hold put a stop to them reasonably quickly since
he couldn't Taste against my own mountain of FORT and ran out of
blood. Steve's gangrel never really got out of the gates, with Karsh
being Entombed and Amaranthed by Archbishop Lucita on his first rush
attempt. Even Andy's long range POT deck, which I wasn't looking
forward to facing, fell victim to team Lasombra. Lucita's special
combined with her +1 bleed from Marcus meant that Andy could only
block her [and had to block her, unless he wanted to be bled out] with
Cailean, and the big baldy quickly fell to a Shadow
Step/Entombment/Amaranth combo. Woof.

The final saw the Lasombra facing off against Cameron's Tzimisce; a
battle long anticipated amongst the Tylers of the Sabbat world. I knew
from the semi's that Cameron was packing many a Rotschrek in his deck
[much to Stevie V's disgust], which was the one card that was really
going to screw my pooch. I resolved to get the edge as quickly as I
could, and then defend to the last.

Devin was Entombed and Amaranthed quickly, but then priscus Shenks hit
the table and gained vote lock. I pulled out Marcus, but Shenks' title
still gave him burn power in Bloodhunts, and this, coupled with a
complete and total absence of Entombments in my hand meant that the
next few turns looked slightly hairy. However, I soon fished for ADV
Lucita and merged her [4 votes now], and my Fragments soon saw me
cycle into a few Entombments. Cameron then made a critical error in
playing a Sudden Reversal against my Path of Night, which opened the
door to my rush towards the Edge. Realising too late that he couldn't
Rotschrek me since he'd played the Sudden, both Meshenka and Calebos
were Entombed and eaten in the one turn. Game over.

And yes, in fine tourney tradition, all the boosters I won were packed
with shite.

At least we dacked the damn Tzimisce.

noodleboy

The Lasombra

Aug 4, 2003, 10:44:08 PM8/4/03
On 4 Aug 2003 19:18:51 -0700, nood...@iprimus.net.au (noodleboy)
wrote:

>Melbourne Fight Club

>The rules of Fight Club [which you do NOT talk about] were as follows.

>1: 60 card deck limit. [no shoes, no shirts]
>2: 40 minute time limit. [if a fighter taps out/loses consciousness,
>the fight is over]
>3: Two player games. [one fight at a time, fellas]
>4: Storyline crypts
>5: No banned cards, but decks must be combat themed. Bitter
>recriminations shall be cast at those who's decks are deemed as not in
>the spirit of Fight Club.

I like it.

http://www.thelasombra.com/variants/melbourne_fight_club.htm

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com/variants.htm

wolflord

Aug 5, 2003, 4:13:38 AM8/5/03
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3c6uiv059s9lrt7cv...@4ax.com>...

> On 4 Aug 2003 19:18:51 -0700, nood...@iprimus.net.au (noodleboy)
> wrote:
>
> >Melbourne Fight Club
>
> >The rules of Fight Club [which you do NOT talk about] were as follows.
>
> >1: 60 card deck limit. [no shoes, no shirts]
> >2: 40 minute time limit. [if a fighter taps out/loses consciousness,
> >the fight is over]
> >3: Two player games. [one fight at a time, fellas]
> >4: Storyline crypts
> >5: No banned cards, but decks must be combat themed. Bitter
> >recriminations shall be cast at those who's decks are deemed as not in
> >the spirit of Fight Club.
>
> I like it.

I could learn to like it, if only you could clearly, precisely define
"combat themed", or "in the spirit of"...
Jo

Jeroen du Chatinier

Aug 5, 2003, 6:05:13 AM8/5/03
> The decks were as follows:
>
> Jason: Lasombra OBT/FOR
> Cameron: Tzimisce ANI/VIC
> Steve V: Gangrel PRO/ANI/FOR
> Dave: Ventrue FOR/Shotties
> Craig: Setite weenie horde with marks of Damnation
> Steve B: Harbringers FOR/Guns
> Punch: Assamites QUI/CEL
> Disco Stu: Goyles! Goyles! Goyles!
> Andy: Cailean long range POT
*******
Any chance of seeing some deck-lists? I'm quite curious!

Jeroen du Chatinier, mourning the absence of the old-school Brujah in there...

noodleboy

Aug 5, 2003, 7:49:09 PM8/5/03
> I could learn to like it, if only you could clearly, precisely define
> "combat themed", or "in the spirit of"...

You can't precisely define it. i guess my best effort would be:

Combat themed deck: A deck that revolves solely around combat as a
means to destroy one's opponent. No bleed cards, no votes excepting
those that directly relate to combat [Archon, Anathema, etc], no cards
that allow you to avoid combat [Secure haven, ghoul escort, etc] no
pure combat ends cards [majesty, earth meld].

It's all relative. Form of Mist or Shadow Body would be permissable if
used at advanced to escape a blocker and continue on with a rush
against a Famed vampire for example. Catatonic Fear might be
permissable because it deals damage. But if your deck wins by any
other means than destroying your opponent's vampires, then you're
pushing the envelope.

Largely, it's up to assembled group and judge to decide if a deck
isn't a Fight Club Deck.

The spirit of Fight Club: Combat, combat, and more combat.

Or, as someone else once said it: "Crush your enemies. See them driven
before you, and hear the lamentations of the women."

noodleboy

noodleboy

Aug 5, 2003, 7:50:53 PM8/5/03

Cool, but I can't take credit for it. One of our other local lads came
up with the idea. He posts here occasionally, though I'm not sure what
his nick is.

noodleboy

noodleboy

Aug 5, 2003, 7:59:11 PM8/5/03
> Any chance of seeing some deck-lists? I'm quite curious!

Well, I don't have mine on the ELDB, but from memory it was something like:

Crypt
3 x Lucita
3 x Lucita ADV
2 x Marcus Vitel
2 x Marcus Vitel ADV
2 x Aaron Duggan

Library
2 x Path of Night
1 x Fragments of the Book of Nod
2 x Direct Intervention
8 x Entombment
4 x Arms of the Abyss
5 x Shadow Step
2 x Shadow body
4 x Darkness Within
5 x Amaranth
5 x Resilience
6 x Skin of Night
6 x Rolling with the Punches
1 x Ivory Bow
4 x Eyes of the Night
2 x Disarm

and a couple of others I can't remember.

noodleboy
2 x Bums Rush

arden mcbathan

Aug 6, 2003, 4:36:24 AM8/6/03
nood...@iprimus.net.au (noodleboy) wrote in message news:<e72ec49.03080...@posting.google.com>...

> Combat themed deck:

>no pure combat ends cards [majesty, earth meld].

with psyche! for multi-rush?

Hollowboy

Aug 6, 2003, 6:14:58 AM8/6/03
jero...@hotmail.com (Jeroen du Chatinier) wrote in message news:<b265d7a7.03080...@posting.google.com>...

I think old-school Bruhaj are good at bullying a combat-soft table,
but they get stopped by, for example, Skin of Marble + anything, or
fortitude + anything. The combat decks that work in this town all have
prevention (in one form or another), extreme weight of numbers,
Illusions of the Kindred, or a mix of the 3. Old-school Bruhaj would
have been unable to dent more than half of these 9 decks.

Mine was:

FoS + Malk Obf/Ser

Count Ormonde 5, has OBF
Hesha Ruhadze 6, has SER and the hunt special
Dedefra 5, has SER
Hadrian 4, no ser, +1 strength
Khalil 3, no obf
Qufur am-Heru 7, both at superior, odd special
Nepata 4
Celine Chevalier 3
Watenda 3 cancels a combat card
Brazil 2 no obf
Normal 2

Offence:

Haven Uncovered
Fame
4 Muddled Vampire Hunter
Anam The Devourer
8 Mark of Damnation
Skin of the Adder
Pulled Fangs

Swarming:

3 Info Highway
3 Dreams of the Sphinx
2 Jake Washington
3 Embrace
5 Summon the Serpent
Gregory Winter
Arcanum Investigator (my only gun defence)

Stealth:

6 Cloak
3 Faceless Night
3 Lost in Crowds
(only 12 stealth and 13 zero-stealth action cards... but I *still*
jammed up on stealth in two games)

Other:

2 Life in the City
5 Forced Awakening (to prevent Mark removal)
6 Leather Jacket

I needed to swarm fast to make enough minions to act each turn, and
have enough left over to prevent my opponent from removing their Marks
of Damnation. It worked fine - I won a couple, drew a couple.
Unfortunately I had to leave early, so I didn't see the finals...

s bergmann

Aug 6, 2003, 7:31:38 AM8/6/03
check the shit out above....

Blood Brother Dave

needs his own email.....

that s bergman guy loves the c*%k!

Wouter Kuyper

Aug 6, 2003, 7:44:47 AM8/6/03
> I could learn to like it, if only you could clearly, precisely define
> "combat themed", or "in the spirit of"...
> Jo

I like the idea a lot, but i think it might work better with more
defined rules indeed.
Maybe change the winning conditions....
i dunno, give 1 VP for each vamp you torporize in combat 2 vp for each
vamp you burn in combat, maybe only about vampires from prey and
predator. 2?3? VP for ousting your prey. One with most VP's wins the
table (or maybe that isn't even neceasy)

That way you can use all the cards you want, but focus will be on
combat if you want to win.

s bergmann

Aug 6, 2003, 10:11:45 AM8/6/03
the original idea behind fight club is to keep our much loved game the same
but focus on combat. i think it originally came about because we were sick
of trying to fight our way to victory against bleeders voter and s:ce. we
wanted to level the playing field without changing rules or victory
conditions.

S.

Matthew T. Morgan

Aug 6, 2003, 12:01:18 PM8/6/03
On 6 Aug 2003, Hollowboy wrote:

<snip stuff about the tournament>

> Mine was:
>
> FoS + Malk Obf/Ser

This deck is really funny. But since you require set-up and don't really
have much way to defend your minions, I wonder why your opponent didn't
kill your guys as soon as they showed up. Just not fast enough? I
imagine you must've had quite a few minions lying around in torpor by the
end of the game. Was that the case? Did you try to rescue or did you
just buy more minions?

> Count Ormonde 5, has OBF
> Hesha Ruhadze 6, has SER and the hunt special
> Dedefra 5, has SER
> Hadrian 4, no ser, +1 strength
> Khalil 3, no obf
> Qufur am-Heru 7, both at superior, odd special
> Nepata 4
> Celine Chevalier 3
> Watenda 3 cancels a combat card
> Brazil 2 no obf
> Normal 2
>
> Offence:
>
> Haven Uncovered

This is what puzzles me the most. Only 1 rush card? Did you figure your
Marks of Damnation would double as rushes? Did you just try to block a
lot? I suppose most decks weren't very stealthy.

> Fame
> 4 Muddled Vampire Hunter
> Anam The Devourer
> 8 Mark of Damnation
> Skin of the Adder
> Pulled Fangs
>
> Swarming:
>
> 3 Info Highway
> 3 Dreams of the Sphinx
> 2 Jake Washington

This is fantastic. Jake gets a Leather Jacket, rushes the Famous,
thrice-Marked guy in his Haven. Strike for 6, press, hit for 6 more and
go out in a blaze of glory!

> 3 Embrace
> 5 Summon the Serpent
> Gregory Winter
> Arcanum Investigator (my only gun defence)
>
> Stealth:
>
> 6 Cloak
> 3 Faceless Night
> 3 Lost in Crowds
> (only 12 stealth and 13 zero-stealth action cards... but I *still*
> jammed up on stealth in two games)

I'm not surprised. I'll bet there wasn't a whole lot of untap and
intercept at this tournament.

R. David Zopf

Aug 6, 2003, 1:40:11 PM8/6/03

"s bergmann" <spo...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

Damn. I was hoping the idea behind it was to destroy the (inter)national
debt record...

DaveZ
Atom Weaver

noodleboy

Aug 7, 2003, 2:47:10 AM8/7/03
> >no pure combat ends cards [majesty, earth meld].
>
> with psyche! for multi-rush?

Depends on the context in which they are used, I suppose. If you were
using them to untap, then continue combat with Psyche, sure [if you
really want to mess about that much]. If you were using them as a
straight SCE more often than not, then you'd probably get
disqualified.

noodleboy

Hollowboy

Aug 8, 2003, 3:02:59 AM8/8/03
> > FoS + Malk Obf/Ser
>
> This deck is really funny. But since you require set-up and don't really
> have much way to defend your minions, I wonder why your opponent didn't
> kill your guys as soon as they showed up. Just not fast enough? I
> imagine you must've had quite a few minions lying around in torpor by the
> end of the game. Was that the case? Did you try to rescue or did you
> just buy more minions?

Glad you like it.

Weenie potence would have ploughed me, as would any fast, aggressive
combat. But no-one plays that around here... it's always big vamps,
highly defensive combat (fortitude), simply cos there is so much
*other* combat. Think of all the plates and spikes on a Triceratops
:-)

...so, anyway, at fight club, there were lots of fatties. I had
several vamps up before my opponents had one in play. With Info
Highway and Dreams and Summon the Serpent, I could pop vamps up pretty
fast. I also had a handful of allies to soak the rushes until I could
damn the opposing vamps. By the time I had a hanful of vamps up, none
of the 'wound-and-prevent' combat I was seeing could really hurt me -
I would just rescue.

Jason / noodleboy was the only one I saw with truly offensive beats. I
rushed (famous, havened and damned) Lucita hard, and swung at her for
at least 60 points of damage over two turns. I dndn't even scratch her
;-)

He toasted a few vamps, and a few allies as well, but I still
outnumbered his troops at timeout... I suppose I could have bled him
out, but given a choice between a rush and a bleed, a fight club deck
should preserve honour and go the Haven...

> > Haven Uncovered
>
> This is what puzzles me the most. Only 1 rush card? Did you figure your
> Marks of Damnation would double as rushes? Did you just try to block a
> lot? I suppose most decks weren't very stealthy.

I could always bleed 4 times, and kill whoever blocked. Like a weenie
POT deck, really. Or block their zero-stealth actions.

> > 2 Jake Washington
>
> This is fantastic. Jake gets a Leather Jacket, rushes the Famous,
> thrice-Marked guy in his Haven. Strike for 6, press, hit for 6 more and
> go out in a blaze of glory!

Sadly, it never happened like that - but it was the plan. Block or
rush with Jake, force them to waste their combat on him, then axe with
a vamp, pull fangs and rescue.

> > (only 12 stealth and 13 zero-stealth action cards... but I *still*
> > jammed up on stealth in two games)
>
> I'm not surprised. I'll bet there wasn't a whole lot of untap and
> intercept at this tournament.

Sure, but with discards + 3 Dreams, I thought I would be OK.

But one player with Slaughterhouse was lucky in his milling - He got
everything but the stealth.

Another player purposefully didn't attempt to block, to jam me on
stealth, and (I think) tried to play slowly enough to reach time. He
didn't preserve fight club honour (he got rid of the Haven), so I just
bled forward a lot, fought his last defender, then bled him dry.