2?s - One Old, One Bloodlines

Rehlow

Dec 5, 2001, 6:27:20 PM12/5/01
Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)

Deflection
Dominate
1 Blood
inferior
Only usable when you are being bled. Tap this reacting vampire. Choose
another Methuselah other than the one controlling the minion bleeding
you. The acting minion is now attempting to bleed that Methuselah.
superior
As above, but do not tap this vampire.

If you can deflect to yourself, does that mean you can now block the
bleed if you previously declined to block?

Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block? (ie If
I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention can I now try
to block?)

Now for a Bloodlines question, which has to do with Shadow Court Satyr
and Ashes to Ashes:
Shadow Court Satyr (Changeling)
Gangrel-Antitribu
3 Pool
Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed.

When Shadow Court Satyr comes into play, you may put a combat card
from your hand on him. Once during combat, Satyr may use the ability
of that card as if that card had been played from your hand. If the
card has a cost, he pays its cost in life to use its ability. If the
card requires a Discipline, he may only use the basic ability of that
card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If the ability would give him
blood, give him life instead.

Ashes to Ashes
Combat
inferior fortitude
Only usable by a vampire being burned; he or she is sent into torpor
instead.
inferior thanatosis
Prevent all damage. This vampire untaps and goes to torpor (ending
combat).
superior thanatosis
As inferior thanatosis above, and this vampire gains 2 blood from the
blood bank.

I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
vampire. Correct?

Another Ashes to Ashes question: There must be damage to prevent
before a vampire can play either thanatosis part, right?

Thanks,
~Rehlow
favorite card: masochism
most used: force of will

Halcyan 2

Dec 5, 2001, 6:56:11 PM12/5/01
>Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
>cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
>to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)

No, you can't. That's why Deflections become completely useless when it's down
to 2 players (can't even cycle them).

>If you can deflect to yourself, does that mean you can now block the
>bleed if you previously declined to block?

Moot. But in general, after a bleed is redirected, it opens up a new round of
blocking opportunities.

>Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block? (ie If
>I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention can I now try
>to block?)

No it doesn't imply that. If you played Deflection and haven't declined to
block, you may then block if the Deflection is DI'ed.

>I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
>him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
>damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
>vampire. Correct?

I could have sworn that LSJ once said something about if an ally goes to
torpor, it's burned instead.

>Another Ashes to Ashes question: There must be damage to prevent
>before a vampire can play either thanatosis part, right?

Correct. You can't play damage prevention unless there's damage to prevent.

Halcyan 2

Kevin M.

Dec 5, 2001, 7:44:51 PM12/5/01

"Rehlow" <ma...@rehlow.com> wrote in message

> Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
> cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
> to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)

LSJ answered this way back in 1998. (Google rocks!)
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=deflection+yourself&group=rec.games.trading-c
ards.jyhad>

Yes, you can Deflection a bleed back to yourself.

> If you can deflect to yourself, does that mean you can now block the
> bleed if you previously declined to block?

If the target of a directed action is reset, a new "choose blockers" opportunity
results. [RTR 19970630]

> Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block? (ie If
> I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention can I now try
> to block?)

"Reaction Card" is defined in the rulebook as "A card played by a Methuselah's
ready, untapped minion in response to an action taken by a minion controlled by
another Methuselah."

So it would seem to follow that, as long as you attempt to use a reaction card
BEFORE "declining to block" ( 6.2.2[1] ), you have not yet ACTUALLY "declined to
block".

[snip Ashes To Ashes question]

> Thanks,
> ~Rehlow
> favorite card: masochism
> most used: force of will

My sincere apologies for neglecting my subjects in such a poor manner. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Madison, WI (USA)
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

The Lasombra

Dec 5, 2001, 8:02:44 PM12/5/01
"Kevin M." <kjme...@PLEASENOSPAMMEcharter.net> wrote in message

> "Rehlow" <ma...@rehlow.com> wrote in message
> > Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
> > cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
> > to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)

No.

> LSJ answered this way back in 1998. (Google rocks!)
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=deflection+yourself&group=rec.games.trading-c
> ards.jyhad>

> Yes, you can Deflection a bleed back to yourself.

No, you cannot.
See the Rules Team Ruling from 23 June 1998.

http://www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR6-23.htm

"Deflection:
New card text:
"Only usable when a you are the target of a bleed. Choose another Methuselah.
You cannot choose the acting minion's controller. The acting minion is now
attempting to bleed the chosen Methuselah. The chosen Methuselah may attempt
to block. Tap this reacting vampire.
Superior: As above, but do not tap this vampire."
#
# That is, you cannot deflect to yourself."

Current card text should also have answered it for you, even though it does not
exactly match the text above.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Cardlist_D.html#Deflection

"Choose another Methuselah"

> > Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block? (ie If
> > I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention can I now try
> > to block?)

No.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

--
Posted from att-98-60-253.atl.mediaone.net [24.98.60.253]

The Lasombra

Dec 5, 2001, 8:07:33 PM12/5/01
"The Lasombra" <thela...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry, previous post should have had two answers not one.

> > > Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block?

No.
It may "imply" it, but it does not mean that you are declining to block.
Only the decision (and subsequent announcement) determine whether
or not you are declining to block.

> > > (ie If I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention
> > > can I now try to block?)

If you have not already announced that you are not blocking, then Yes.
If you previously stated that you were not blocking, then No.

James Coupe

Dec 5, 2001, 8:23:40 PM12/5/01
In message <u0tg1nc...@corp.supernews.com>, Kevin M. <kjmergen@PLEAS

ENOSPAMMEcharter.net> writes:
>LSJ answered this way back in 1998. (Google rocks!)
><http://groups.google.com/groups?q=deflection+yourself&group=rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad>
>
>Yes, you can Deflection a bleed back to yourself.

Not correct:

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/migration.html

Deflection cannot be used to redirect the bleed to yourself

--
James Coupe When correctly viewed
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D Everything is lewd

LSJ

Dec 6, 2001, 11:46:27 AM12/6/01
Halcyan 2 wrote:
> >Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
> >cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
> >to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)
>
> No, you can't. That's why Deflections become completely useless when it's down
> to 2 players (can't even cycle them).

Correct.

> >If you can deflect to yourself, does that mean you can now block the
> >bleed if you previously declined to block?
>
> Moot. But in general, after a bleed is redirected, it opens up a new round of
> blocking opportunities.

Correct (for any change-the-target-of-the-action effect).

> >Does playing Deflection imply that you are declining to block? (ie If
> >I play Deflection and my prey plays Direct Intervention can I now try
> >to block?)
>
> No it doesn't imply that. If you played Deflection and haven't declined to
> block, you may then block if the Deflection is DI'ed.

Correct.

> >I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
> >him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
> >damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
> >vampire. Correct?
>
> I could have sworn that LSJ once said something about if an ally goes to
> torpor, it's burned instead.

Nah. He goes to torpor. Allies are not prohibited from entering torpor,
they just generally find it difficult to do, since most effects that send
things to torpor only work on vampires.

And there he stays, unless some future effect is created that allows an
ally to leave torpor. [LSJ 28-JAN-2000]

> >Another Ashes to Ashes question: There must be damage to prevent
> >before a vampire can play either thanatosis part, right?
>
> Correct. You can't play damage prevention unless there's damage to prevent.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Henrik

Dec 6, 2001, 1:00:07 PM12/6/01
>> >I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
>> >him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
>> >damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
>> >vampire. Correct?
>>
>> I could have sworn that LSJ once said something about if an ally goes to
>> torpor, it's burned instead.
>
>Nah. He goes to torpor. Allies are not prohibited from entering torpor,
>they just generally find it difficult to do, since most effects that send
>things to torpor only work on vampires.
>
>And there he stays, unless some future effect is created that allows an
>ally to leave torpor. [LSJ 28-JAN-2000]

Damn, there goes one of the coolest combos... I guess I'll have to work on
the Shadow Court Satyr-Bond with the mountain-Sport Bike-Mr Wintrop-Vagabond
Mystic-Panacea/Renewd Vigor combo...If only I could reduce the cost of the
Bond with the mountain with one, and I could block te rest of my
grapple-less <2 stealth actions my prey or predator does...

/Henrik, feeling cheesy..

Kevin M.

Dec 6, 2001, 7:36:06 PM12/6/01

"The Lasombra" <thela...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Kevin M." <kjme...@PLEASENOSPAMMEcharter.net> wrote in message
>
> > "Rehlow" <ma...@rehlow.com> wrote in message
> > > Can deflection be used to redirect a bleed to yourself? (ie I need to
> > > cycle it out of my hand and it is down to 2 players, or I don't want
> > > to deflect to the other players for whatever reason.)
>
> No.
>
> > LSJ answered this way back in 1998. (Google rocks!)

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=deflection+yourself&group=rec.games.trading-c
> > ards.jyhad>
>
> > Yes, you can Deflection a bleed back to yourself.
>
> No, you cannot.
> See the Rules Team Ruling from 23 June 1998.
>
> http://www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR6-23.htm

Guess I didn't search hard enough. The LSJ link above comes 2 months before the
RTR you mention.

> "Deflection:
> New card text:
> "Only usable when a you are the target of a bleed. Choose another
Methuselah.
> You cannot choose the acting minion's controller. The acting minion is now
> attempting to bleed the chosen Methuselah. The chosen Methuselah may attempt
> to block. Tap this reacting vampire.
> Superior: As above, but do not tap this vampire."
> #
> # That is, you cannot deflect to yourself."
>

> Current card text should also have answered it for you, even though it does
not
> exactly match the text above.
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Cardlist_D.html#Deflection
>
> "Choose another Methuselah"

...like reading the current card text. Duh.

Well, that was a good laugh! :) [Shut up, Matt!]

> Carpe noctem.
>
> Lasombra
>
> http://www.TheLasombra.com

agzocgud

Dec 7, 2001, 6:29:51 AM12/7/01
> > >I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
> > >him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
> > >damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
> > >vampire. Correct?
> >
> > I could have sworn that LSJ once said something about if an ally goes to
> > torpor, it's burned instead.
>
> Nah. He goes to torpor. Allies are not prohibited from entering torpor,
> they just generally find it difficult to do, since most effects that send
> things to torpor only work on vampires.

Now I“m a little confused (nothing unusual there). I thought SCS
ignored all effect that happens to a vampire after he plays "his"
card. I“ve discussed this with you before and the closest thing we got
to an answer was (on Yahoo V:tES club, msg 1323) was:

> So just to confirm: if the SCS played a Breath of the Dragon at
> close range, does he take the damage? Since he's not a vampire,
> would the "this vampire also takes the damage" affect him or is it
> ignored?

Ignored, since he's not treated as a vampire when the strike resolves
(only when he plays the card). The "standard" illustration of this is
Burst of Sunlight on the SCS.

--
LSJ

He is treted like vampire only when he plays the card, but not after
that. Why is he going into torpor from AtA (and mummify?) when he
doesn“t take damage from BotD and BoS?

LSJ

Dec 7, 2001, 6:38:26 AM12/7/01
agzocgud wrote:

> > > I could have sworn that LSJ once said something about if an ally goes to
> > > torpor, it's burned instead.
> >
> > Nah. He goes to torpor. Allies are not prohibited from entering torpor,
> > they just generally find it difficult to do, since most effects that send
> > things to torpor only work on vampires.
>
> Now I´m a little confused (nothing unusual there). I thought SCS
> ignored all effect that happens to a vampire after he plays "his"
> card.

Sure. But the "go to torpor" effect of Ashes to Ashes occurs when the
card is played.

_Fire_

Dec 7, 2001, 10:42:35 AM12/7/01
Ashes to Ashes
Combat
inferior fortitude
Only usable by a vampire being burned; he or she is sent into torpor
instead.
inferior thanatosis
Prevent all damage. This vampire untaps and goes to torpor (ending
combat).
superior thanatosis
As inferior thanatosis above, and this vampire gains 2 blood from the
blood bank.

<snip>

I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
vampire. Correct?

<snip>

According to the wording on the card vampires are sent into torpor...
So to my understanding of the "somewhat" fragile rules is that you
can't put AtA on an SCS because it doesn't satisfy the cardtext. (Like
Kiss of Ra/Red Herring). Or have I missed an errata? I just wonder how
you (LSJ and others) can interpret it as the ally is put in torpor..?

LSJ

Dec 7, 2001, 10:44:46 AM12/7/01
_Fire_ wrote:
> <snip>
> I choose inferior thanatosis for Shadow Court Satyr (SCS) when I bring
> him in play. When SCS plays Ashes to Ashes in combat "Prevent all
> damage" works and the rest of the text is ignored because he is not a
> vampire. Correct?
> <snip>
>
> According to the wording on the card vampires are sent into torpor...
> So to my understanding of the "somewhat" fragile rules is that you
> can't put AtA on an SCS because it doesn't satisfy the cardtext. (Like
> Kiss of Ra/Red Herring). Or have I missed an errata? I just wonder how
> you (LSJ and others) can interpret it as the ally is put in torpor..?

SCS goes to torpor just fine.