Q: Pressing the flesh and Khazar's diary

Myrdin

Mar 25, 2010, 10:40:30 AM3/25/10
So, I've been thinking again (wich is usually a bad idea) and I've
come up with a question.

Let's assume that there is a khazar's diary in play with 7 or more
counters. If an unique minion is burned as an animated wraith, is it
considered to have been burned from play and this able to be animated
with pressing the flesh again?

Say for example, an earlier discarded Remnant of the endless storm is
animated by the special of a khazar's diary with 7 or more counters,
could that Remnant be animated by a Pressing the flesh after the
wraith creature was burned due to another effect?

Khazar`s Diary (Endless Night), Action, Giovanni, C , [LotN]
+1 stealth action. Put the Diary in play, or add a counter to one in
play. When a unique minion in play is burned, add another counter.
While this card has seven or more counters, Giovanni get [NEC] and may
take a +1 stealth action to put a minion from any ash heap into play
to represent a wraith ally with 2 life, 0 strength, 1 bleed and +1
stealth.

Pressing Flesh, Action, Thanatosis, R , [HttB:R]
+1 stealth action.
[thn] Choose an ally that was burned from play. Move that ally from
the ash heap to your ready region with this card and life equal to its
starting life. This ally is a zombie instead of what it used to be,
gets -1 bleed, cannot gain life, and may play cards that require basic
[FOR] as a vampire.
[THN] As above, but with an additional life.

/Ivan

LSJ

Mar 25, 2010, 12:47:19 PM3/25/10
On Mar 25, 10:40 am, Myrdin <smurfal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I've been thinking again (wich is usually a bad idea) and I've
> come up with a question.
>
> Let's assume that there is a khazar's diary in play with 7 or more
> counters. If an unique minion is burned as an animated wraith, is it
> considered to have been burned from play and this able to be animated
> with pressing the flesh again?

No, since the ally in the ash heap is not the KDwraith ally that was
burned from play.
That is, the KDwraith is considered to be burned from play. But the
KDwraith is not in the ash heap.

(Note, the animated KDwraith is not unqiue, although that is not
important to the question)

Myrdin

Mar 25, 2010, 1:17:51 PM3/25/10
> > /Ivan- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

While that would be the sane interpretation to the card text I'll play
the devil's advocate just to get a clarification =).

The KD cardtext specifically states that you "put that minion into
play to represent a wraith ally", while it represents another card it
still states that you put that minion into play. When you put
something into play to represent another effect, when does the card
stop being itself? Take Spell of life as an example:

Spell of Life, Action, Followers of Set, C , [LotN]
+1 stealth action. Put this card in play. Only one spell of Life may
be played each turn. You may burn five Spells of Life to put up to
five vampires from your uncontrolled region in play. Each represents a
unique mummy ally with life equal to capacity, 1 bleed and 2 strength
who can enter combat with a minion as a (D) action.

In this case the cards put into play each represent a unique mummy
ally, although it doesn't state that the mummy has a new name to brand
it's uniqueness, I've always assumed they are unique as per cardtext
"name" of each minion. Does the cardtext of "representing a unique
mummy ally" imply each to have a uniqueness of retaining "minion name"
to represent each uniqueness?

Another thought, say that I've played Set's curse on a retainer and
thus created an ally, since this is now an ally card as per text.
Could I later use Press the flesh to reanimate this card as an ally if
it was burned from play?

Set`s Curse, Action, 2 blood, Serpentis, R , [LotN]
+1 stealth action.
[ser] (D) Burn any ally or retainer to put this card into play. This
card becomes an animal ally with 3 life, 2 strength and 0 bleed. This
ally cannot have or use equipment or retainers and cannot play action
cards.
[SER] As above, but burn a vampire with capacity less than 3 to put
this card in play.

floppyzedolfin

Mar 25, 2010, 2:11:21 PM3/25/10
On 25 mar, 18:17, Myrdin <smurfal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While that would be the sane interpretation to the card text I'll play
> the devil's advocate just to get a clarification =).
>
> The KD cardtext specifically states that you "put that minion into
> play to represent a wraith ally", while it represents another card it
> still states that you put that minion into play. When you put
> something into play to represent another effect, when does the card
> stop being itself?

When it starts representing something else than what it is, which is
at the moment it is put in play.

> Take Spell of life as an example:
> Spell of Life, Action, Followers of Set, C , [LotN]
> +1 stealth action. Put this card in play. Only one spell of Life may
> be played each turn. You may burn five Spells of Life to put up to
> five vampires from your uncontrolled region in play. Each represents a
> unique mummy ally with life equal to capacity, 1 bleed and 2 strength
> who can enter combat with a minion as a (D) action.

As soon as you burn the Spells of Life, the vampire cards from your
uncontrolled region become mummy allies.
Is the card in your uncontrolled region you are turning into a mummy
a mummy at any time? No.
Is the mummy card in play a Vampire ? No.

> In this case the cards put into play each represent a unique mummy
> ally, although it doesn't state that the mummy has a new name to brand
> it's uniqueness, I've always assumed they are unique as per cardtext
> "name" of each minion. Does the cardtext of "representing a unique
> mummy ally" imply each to have a uniqueness of retaining "minion name"
> to represent each uniqueness?

The mummies have the names of "original" vampires:

"If more than one unique card with the same name is brought into play,
that means control of the card is being contested." (Rulebook 4.1)

> Another thought, say that I've played Set's curse on a retainer and
> thus created an ally, since this is now an ally card as per text.
> Could I later use Press the flesh to reanimate this card as an ally if
> it was burned from play?

No. For the same reason, you couldn't play Compel the Spirit on a Jake
Washington card in your ash heap:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b873b0fab3c4a7c6

In your ash heap, Set's Curse is an action card that requires
seprentis. It's not an ally.

LSJ

Mar 25, 2010, 2:24:59 PM3/25/10
On Mar 25, 2:11 pm, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 mar, 18:17, Myrdin <smurfal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > While that would be the sane interpretation to the card text I'll play
> > the devil's advocate just to get a clarification =).
>
> > The KD cardtext specifically states that you "put that minion into
> > play to represent a wraith ally", while it represents another card it
> > still states that you put that minion into play. When you put
> > something into play to represent another effect, when does the card
> > stop being itself?
>
> When it starts representing something else than what it is, which is
> at the moment it is put in play.

Correct (on all).

And see

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/8f4325c9c84b64eb