(LSJ) Nephandus vs Target Vitals

floppyzedolfin

Nov 23, 2009, 5:36:36 AM11/23/09
A Nephandus with 3 life is in combat with a vampire with a .44 Magnum.
The vampire's strike is to use the Magnum, and he modifies it with an
uncancelled Target Vitals. Nephandus strikes for 1R.
There is no prevention card played, does the Nephandus burn?

Thanks

==

Nephandus (Mage)
Cardtype: Ally
Clan: Tremere antitribu
Cost: 2 pool
Mage with 2 life. 0 strength, 1 bleed.
The Nephandus may strike for 1R damage. The Nephandus gets an optional
press each combat. Each strike or damaging effect made against the
Nephandus by the opposing minion during combat inflicts 1 less damage.
The Nephandus may burn a vampire in torpor to gain 1 life as a (D)
action.

Target Vitals
Cardtype: Combat
Aim. Play when choosing a strike.
If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the
opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this
strike, and he or she cannot press this round. The opposing minion may
discard two combat cards [COMBAT] to cancel this card. A minion may
play only one aim each strike.

LSJ

Nov 23, 2009, 7:14:05 AM11/23/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> Hi,
> A Nephandus with 3 life is in combat with a vampire with a .44 Magnum.
> The vampire's strike is to use the Magnum, and he modifies it with an
> uncancelled Target Vitals. Nephandus strikes for 1R.
> There is no prevention card played, does the Nephandus burn?

.44: 2R.
After Nephandus: 1R.
After T:V: 3R.

He takes three damage.

Chris Berger

Nov 23, 2009, 9:24:17 AM11/23/09
On Nov 23, 6:14 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> floppyzedolfin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > A Nephandus with 3 life is in combat with a vampire with a .44 Magnum.
> > The vampire's strike is to use the Magnum, and he modifies it with an
> > uncancelled Target Vitals. Nephandus strikes for 1R.
> > There is no prevention card played, does the Nephandus burn?
>
> .44: 2R.
> After Nephandus: 1R.
> After T:V: 3R.
>
> He takes three damage.

Seriously, I'm confused by this question - what other possibility is
there? Maybe you meant Saturday Night Special???

LSJ

Nov 23, 2009, 9:41:42 AM11/23/09

I imagine the question was whether the T:V was a separate source of damage to be
separately reduced by Nephandus's special.

Questioners: remember to state the actual question when giving the scenario.

floppyzedolfin

Nov 23, 2009, 9:47:20 AM11/23/09

No. I meant .44 Magnum - but any 2-damage inflicting strike could've
done. And I also meant Target Vitals and not Target Head, because
their wordings (+2 damage vs an additional 2 damage) and their
mechanisms (well, basically, the difference in preventing those
damage) are different.

The question, put another way, could've been : Is Target Vitals' "an
additional 2 damage" considered as a damaging effect done against the
Neph by the opposing minion?
And the answer is no.