Darkling Trickery and additional strikes/multiple rounds

Satrapa

Aug 28, 2009, 1:45:41 PM8/28/09
I have problem with effect at MYT
[MYT] Only usable when the opposing minion attempts to strike with a
weapon that does ranged damage. The damage from that weapon is reduced
to 0. The opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike
resolution.
It doesn't state for how long it works so I don't know how to treat it
with additional strikes.
Does Darkling Trickery reduces damage from weapon for:
- only one strike (what would be another reason for me to wonder why
this card is rare not common)
- until end of round (what would be nice)
- until end of combat (what would be strong)
- until end of game (I think it would be a bit too powerful since it
would means the weapon would be as good as destroyed, even worse for
some decks, since some cards utilize weapons in ash heap, and this
effect don't require strikes from user)

LSJ

Aug 28, 2009, 1:52:37 PM8/28/09
Satrapa wrote:
> I have problem with effect at MYT
> [MYT] Only usable when the opposing minion attempts to strike with a
> weapon that does ranged damage. The damage from that weapon is reduced
> to 0. The opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike
> resolution.
> It doesn't state for how long it works so I don't know how to treat it
> with additional strikes.

It is an instantaneous effect. It has no duration.

> Does Darkling Trickery reduces damage from weapon for:
> - only one strike (what would be another reason for me to wonder why
> this card is rare not common)

Yes.

Rarity is not related to power.

Salem

Aug 30, 2009, 7:25:23 AM8/30/09

correct. Darkling Trickery should have been common because of the [myt]
level (which you would want multiples of in a deck), and Absorb the Mind
should have been rare (which you are unlikely to want multiples of in a
deck, if any).

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

LSJ

Aug 30, 2009, 7:44:50 AM8/30/09
Salem wrote:
> and Absorb the Mind
> should have been rare (which you are unlikely to want multiples of in a
> deck, if any).

I use multiples in my current Kiasyd deck. Stealing blood at range is a good
utilitarian effect.

FVicentini

Aug 30, 2009, 12:12:48 PM8/30/09

i use them in dominate weenie decks , better then the disciplinless
dodge

Salem

Aug 31, 2009, 6:16:13 AM8/31/09

but wouldn't it be great if you could also manoeuvre or press whenever
you wanted? ;)

admittedly, i am just jealous of seeing how well a local player's kiasyd
combat package of darkling trickery and earth swords worked. which had
waaay more darkling trickeries than i am likely to ever get (well,
depending on how things go in the upcoming set, i guess)

Satrapa

Aug 31, 2009, 9:41:59 AM8/31/09
> > Does Darkling Trickery reduces damage from weapon for:
> > - only one strike (what would be another reason for me to wonder why
> > this card is rare not common)
>
> Yes.
>
> Rarity is not related to power.

Yes, but Id say that D.T. is a bit similar to Swiftness of the Stag
which is common card.

LSJ wrote:
> Salem wrote:
> > and Absorb the Mind
>> should have been rare (which you are unlikely to want multiples of in
>> a deck, if any).

> I use multiples in my current Kiasyd deck. Stealing blood at range is a
> good utilitarian effect.

Your meta is weird. In my meta most decks that fight in other way than
by s:ce hits for 4+ damage regardless of range.

LSJ

Aug 31, 2009, 9:50:35 AM8/31/09
Satrapa wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
>> Stealing blood at range is a
>> good utilitarian effect.
> Your meta is weird. In my meta most decks that fight in other way than
> by s:ce hits for 4+ damage regardless of range.

Your meta is weird. In my meta, some players play decks that are not 4+ ranged
damage combat decks or 10+ S:CE decks. Some play close range combat. Some play
stealth bleed.

James Coupe

Aug 31, 2009, 11:22:54 AM8/31/09
Satrapa <jedrzej.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Your meta is weird. In my meta most decks that fight in other way than
>by s:ce hits for 4+ damage regardless of range.

Typically, the reports we get on the various V:TES newsgroups/forums
etc. indicate that heavy combat is relatively unusual in the competitive
environment, a bit more experimental in the casual environment.

It's quite common for decks with zero/almost zero combat defence to do
well in tournaments, because of the relative lack of high combat decks
around, and being able to stay away from bruise-y decks enough. (e.g.
high stealth to keep you away from all but the toughest of walls)

Going by gross generalizations, Australia tends to be much more
combative, Europe tends to be more straightforwardly sleazy, and America
somewhere in between.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Blooded Sand

Aug 31, 2009, 1:19:20 PM8/31/09
On Aug 31, 5:22 pm, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:

> Going by gross generalizations, Australia tends to be much more
> combative, Europe tends to be more straightforwardly sleazy, and America
> somewhere in between.

Yeah trying to play combat in casual games around here usually gets
you killed ;)