LSJ: Deep Song, Legacy of Power + Winged Second

James Coupe

Nov 30, 2008, 8:56:32 AM11/30/08
So, I control Harrod and Stick. You control Enkidu.

Stick plays Deep Song (superior) to enter combat with Enkidu. The
action is successful. During the resulting combat, Enkidu is considered
the acting minion.

Because Enkidu is considered the acting minion, can Harrod play Legacy
of Power, sending Stick and Enkidu to torpor?

If I instead control Luma, Stone Beauty, and Stick, can Luma play Winged
Second to help Stick out?

Both LoP and WS are reaction cards that break the normal restriction on
being playable in combat.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Cantila

Nov 30, 2008, 9:23:24 AM11/30/08

But they're reaction cards and thus not playable in your own turn
though?

Chris Berger

Nov 30, 2008, 9:36:52 AM11/30/08
On Nov 30, 8:23 am, Cantila <canti...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 Nov, 14:56, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > So, I control Harrod and Stick.  You control Enkidu.
>
> > Stick plays Deep Song (superior) to enter combat with Enkidu.  The
> > action is successful.  During the resulting combat, Enkidu is considered
> > the acting minion.
>
> > Because Enkidu is considered the acting minion, can Harrod play Legacy
> > of Power, sending Stick and Enkidu to torpor?
>
> > If I instead control Luma, Stone Beauty, and Stick, can Luma play Winged
> > Second to help Stick out?
>
> > Both LoP and WS are reaction cards that break the normal restriction on
> > being playable in combat.
>
> But they're reaction cards and thus not playable in your own turn
> though?

That's not the rule, though. Reaction cards are playable if and only
if you do not control the acting minion.

Still, I suspect that LoP and WS are not playable in this instance,
but I can't think of a good reason why not. The only explanation that
comes close is that I think Winged Second and Legacy of Power are
played "when" the minion is about to enter combat, before the combat
actually starts. But perhaps there was a ruling that says that
they're actually played *during* the combat? That's what James seems
to be presuming, and if so, then the only reason for them not to be
playable would be "LSJ says so", if that's indeed what he says... =)

James Coupe

Nov 30, 2008, 9:49:46 AM11/30/08
In message <156e1a4b-9672-4550...@k12g2000yqk.googlegroup

s.com>, Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>Still, I suspect that LoP and WS are not playable in this instance,
>but I can't think of a good reason why not. The only explanation that
>comes close is that I think Winged Second and Legacy of Power are
>played "when" the minion is about to enter combat, before the combat
>actually starts. But perhaps there was a ruling that says that
>they're actually played *during* the combat?

There was, yes.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/bc11934d7ee6924d
[Legacy of Power] cannot be played when combat has not yet
started.

Text of Legacy of Power: "Only usable when another vampire you control
enters combat."

Text of Winged Second: "Only usable when another minion you control
enters combat..." (i.e. the same timing)

James Coupe

Nov 30, 2008, 9:51:10 AM11/30/08
In message <57e2b8ba-7ab8-44be...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroup

s.com>, Cantila <cant...@hotmail.com> writes:
>But they're reaction cards and thus not playable in your own turn
>though?

No.

When an acting minion of another Methuselah is acting during your turn
(such as with Madness Network or Enkil Cog), your minions can play
reactions. They care about who the acting minion is, not whose turn it
is.

Cantila

Nov 30, 2008, 11:39:14 AM11/30/08
On 30 Nov, 15:51, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <57e2b8ba-7ab8-44be-a626-f9c41709c...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroup

> s.com>, Cantila <canti...@hotmail.com> writes:
> >But they're reaction cards and thus not playable in your own turn
> >though?
>
> No.
>
> When an acting minion of another Methuselah is acting during your turn
> (such as with Madness Network or Enkil Cog), your minions can play
> reactions.  They care about who the acting minion is, not whose turn it
> is.

Ah yes good point.

LSJ

Nov 30, 2008, 1:15:53 PM11/30/08
Chris Berger wrote:
> On Nov 30, 8:23 am, Cantila <canti...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 Nov, 14:56, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> So, I control Harrod and Stick. You control Enkidu.
>>> Stick plays Deep Song (superior) to enter combat with Enkidu. The
>>> action is successful. During the resulting combat, Enkidu is considered
>>> the acting minion.
>>> Because Enkidu is considered the acting minion, can Harrod play Legacy
>>> of Power, sending Stick and Enkidu to torpor?
>>> If I instead control Luma, Stone Beauty, and Stick, can Luma play Winged
>>> Second to help Stick out?
>>> Both LoP and WS are reaction cards that break the normal restriction on
>>> being playable in combat.
>> But they're reaction cards and thus not playable in your own turn
>> though?
>
> That's not the rule, though. Reaction cards are playable if and only
> if you do not control the acting minion.

Actually, the rule is: "A ready untapped minion can play a reaction card in
response to an action taken by another Methuselah's minion." [1.6.3] and [GLOSSARY]

[6.2] places another set of restrictions, sure.

So LoP is still not playable, since the action was not taken by another
Methuselah's minon.

> Still, I suspect that LoP and WS are not playable in this instance,
> but I can't think of a good reason why not. The only explanation that
> comes close is that I think Winged Second and Legacy of Power are
> played "when" the minion is about to enter combat, before the combat
> actually starts. But perhaps there was a ruling that says that
> they're actually played *during* the combat? That's what James seems
> to be presuming, and if so, then the only reason for them not to be
> playable would be "LSJ says so", if that's indeed what he says... =)

That ruling needs to go, yeah. But it's not hurting anything yet.
I'll put it on the list for RT review.