Question Catatonic Fear and dodge

17 vues

Sten During

non lue,
18 mars 2002, 15:59:2618/03/2002
Even though I'm quite aware that a dodge will not prevent the dodging
minion from taking one point of damage from Catatonic Fear at superior
I'm still somewhat at a loss understanding the mechanism.

6.4.5 describes the different strikeeffects. As I read about dodge
it doesn't seem that time of resolution is what matters. It only says
that dodge will "protect even from the effects of a strike done with
first strike", but it actually doesn't say that dodge resolves first.

Reading about Combat Ends actually makes things even more unclear
to me. Especially the last sentence:

"Combat ends is not affected by a dodge, since dodge only cancels
effects that are directed at the dodging minion. "

Now, if I recall correctly, dodge doesn't actually affect any strike
at all - it just protects the dodging minion and possessions from
effects from the opposing strike, so if I strike with the hypothetical
strike 'strength damage and this minion gains one blood after
strikeresolution' then a dodge will protect from 'strength damage',
but 'this minion gains etc etc' will still take effect. If my understanding
this far is correct then the first part of the last sentence describing
Combat Ends is merely a reminder that Combat Ends, just like
any other strike, is not affected by a dodge, but if so, then the last
part of that sentence would imply that a dodge would indeed
protect the dodging minion from taking one point of damage -
and for obvious reasons this is where I'm lost :)

Sten During

LSJ

non lue,
18 mars 2002, 16:11:3718/03/2002
Sten During wrote:

> Even though I'm quite aware that a dodge will not prevent the dodging
> minion from taking one point of damage from Catatonic Fear at superior
> I'm still somewhat at a loss understanding the mechanism.
>
> 6.4.5 describes the different strikeeffects. As I read about dodge
> it doesn't seem that time of resolution is what matters. It only says
> that dodge will "protect even from the effects of a strike done with
> first strike", but it actually doesn't say that dodge resolves first.

OK. It doesn't say that it resolves later.
And, for it to "beat" First Strike, resolving it first is the
simple way to do things.

> Reading about Combat Ends actually makes things even more unclear
> to me. Especially the last sentence:
>
> "Combat ends is not affected by a dodge, since dodge only cancels
> effects that are directed at the dodging minion. "
>
> Now, if I recall correctly, dodge doesn't actually affect any strike
> at all - it just protects the dodging minion and possessions from
> effects from the opposing strike, so if I strike with the hypothetical
> strike 'strength damage and this minion gains one blood after
> strikeresolution' then a dodge will protect from 'strength damage',
> but 'this minion gains etc etc' will still take effect. If my understanding

Right.

> this far is correct then the first part of the last sentence describing
> Combat Ends is merely a reminder that Combat Ends, just like
> any other strike, is not affected by a dodge, but if so, then the last

Right.

> part of that sentence would imply that a dodge would indeed
> protect the dodging minion from taking one point of damage -
> and for obvious reasons this is where I'm lost :)

Only if the dodge resolved. Since dodge doesn't "beat" S:CE,
it doesn't.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sten During

non lue,
18 mars 2002, 16:22:3018/03/2002

LSJ wrote:

>Sten During wrote:
>
>>Even though I'm quite aware that a dodge will not prevent the dodging
>>minion from taking one point of damage from Catatonic Fear at superior
>>I'm still somewhat at a loss understanding the mechanism.
>>
>>6.4.5 describes the different strikeeffects. As I read about dodge
>>it doesn't seem that time of resolution is what matters. It only says
>>that dodge will "protect even from the effects of a strike done with
>>first strike", but it actually doesn't say that dodge resolves first.
>>

>OK. It doesn't say that it resolves later.
>And, for it to "beat" First Strike, resolving it first is the
>simple way to do things.

<snipping away everything below as above makes it moot>

Ok, it makes sense (any chance of having it spelled out in a future
revision of the rules?).

A (actually not) related question then. Stutter Step meets Anestethic
Touch. Both at
superior. Is the procedure then that dodge is resolved first, then the
AT, and then
(if there had been any combat left, which there isn't) the handstrike
from stutterstep?

Sten During

LSJ

non lue,
18 mars 2002, 16:56:1018/03/2002
Sten During wrote:
> A (actually not) related question then. Stutter Step meets Anestethic
> Touch. Both at
> superior. Is the procedure then that dodge is resolved first, then the
> AT, and then
> (if there had been any combat left, which there isn't) the handstrike
> from stutterstep?

Sure. That seems the least complicated.

0 nouveau message