Pocket Out of Time/Post-Combat Effects

Kushiel

Apr 13, 2010, 12:47:48 PM4/13/10
If a minion who has played Pocket Out of Time at superior burns a
blood to start a new combat, is this sufficient to disrupt and thereby
cancel post-combat effects such as those created by Rotschreck and
superior Form of Mist?

Pocket Out of Time
After any combat this action, this vampire can burn 1 blood to start a
new combat with the opposing minion (if both combatants are still
ready).

John Eno

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 1:22:19 PM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 12:47 pm, Kushiel <invisibleking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a minion who has played Pocket Out of Time at superior burns a
> blood to start a new combat, is this sufficient to disrupt and thereby
> cancel post-combat effects such as those created by Rotschreck and
> superior Form of Mist?

Yes.

Effects that end combat and then do something else after combat (all
in the
single resolution of the effect) will fizzle if combat doesn't end or
if a
new combat is started. [RTR 01-MAY-2002]

Kushiel

Apr 13, 2010, 2:05:30 PM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 1:22 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Effects that end combat and then do something else after combat (all
> in the
> single resolution of the effect) will fizzle if combat doesn't end or
> if a
> new combat is started. [RTR 01-MAY-2002]

Cool beans. Thanks.

John Eno

Blooded Sand

Apr 13, 2010, 3:20:26 PM4/13/10

And it becomes even better....

Kushiel

Apr 13, 2010, 4:15:46 PM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 3:20 pm, Blooded Sand <sandm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And it becomes even better....

Well, technically, the card didn't get any better than it always was -
it's always functioned this way. This thread may have improved your
*understanding* of how good the card is, though... ;)

John Eno

Blooded Sand

Apr 14, 2010, 5:13:39 PM4/14/10

:D

Haze

Apr 14, 2010, 9:36:15 PM4/14/10

though since it's an action modifier, hopefully you won't be using it
on your own Form of Mists anytime soon...

Kushiel

Apr 15, 2010, 3:28:12 PM4/15/10
On Apr 14, 9:36 pm, Haze <headlessr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> though since it's an action modifier, hopefully you won't be using it
> on your own Form of Mists anytime soon...

Heh! Word. FoM was just one of the first post-combat effects that
popped into my head, not one of the optimal ones to switch off with
POoT.

John Eno

Neil

Apr 16, 2010, 3:13:47 AM4/16/10

I'm puzzled by the timing that allows this to interrupt Rötschreck.
PooT is explicitly after combat, and requires that both minions be
ready, while Rötschreck sends a minion to torpor immediately after
combat. How large is the window between combat ending and going to
torpor from Rötschreck where both minions are considered ready? Is it
large enough for The Baron to play Transfusion at THN, (say after
being hit by Walk of Flame and Rötschreck in the second round after
exchanging unprevented hand strikes in the first), for example?

Rötschreck

Master: out-of-turn. Frenzy. Put this card on a vampire when an
opposing minion attempts to inflict aggravated damage on him or her,
whether the damage would be successfully inflicted or not. Combat
ends. This vampire is tapped and sent to torpor. This vampire does not
untap as normal. During this vampire's next untap phase, burn this
card.

Transfusion

[THN] Only usable after combat if this vampire is still ready and
successfully inflicted any damage on the opposing minion in that
combat. Put a transfusion counter on the opposing minion. If the
minion now has 3 of your transfusion counters, burn them all to take
control of that minion. Only one Transfusion may be played at superior
each turn.