Weigh the Heart/ Celestial Harmony LSJ

wedge

Feb 25, 2010, 1:18:47 PM2/25/10
Do you put one corruption counter on a minion controlled by any
Methuselah or one corruption counter per Methuselah?

I think one on any, but...

Celestial Harmony
+1 stealth action.
[aus] (D) Choose a Methuselah. That Methuselah selects all but one of
the cards in his or her hand and shows them to you.
[AUS] As above, but all Methuselahs are chosen.

Weigh the Heart
[aus][ser] +1 bleed. After playing this card, you cannot play another
action modifier to further increase the bleed for this action.
[AUS][SER] Only usable as a (D) action is announced. If this action is
successful, put a corruption counter on a minion controlled by the
target Methuselah (after resolving the action)

LSJ

Feb 25, 2010, 1:28:38 PM2/25/10
to vtes-...@yahoogroups.com
On Feb 25, 1:18 pm, wedge <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you put one corruption counter on a minion controlled by any
> Methuselah or one corruption counter per Methuselah?
>
> I think one on any, but...

At best, yes. It seems that it could be "only if there's only one
Methuselah targeted".

But let's go with one on any for now.

wedge

Feb 25, 2010, 2:04:13 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 10:28 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 1:18 pm, wedge <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you put one corruption counter on a minion controlled by any
> > Methuselah or one corruption counter per Methuselah?
>
> > I think one on any, but...
>
> At best, yes. It seems that it could be "only if there's only one
> Methuselah targeted".
>
> But let's go with one on any for now.

Thanks,

I can not think of an action mod that cannot be played because its
effect is illegal.
Is there one? Anybody able to think of one?

Matt

adam....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2010, 2:05:15 PM2/25/10

Why isn't it a corruption counter on a minion from each player? Each
player has the opportunity to block since they are all targeted by
said D action?

LSJ

Feb 25, 2010, 2:16:05 PM2/25/10

This would be because it "lacks a legal target", not because the
effect is illegal.
And that (lack of target) would only be because there is no "the
target". There are "the targets" and "a target" Methuselah, but no
"the target Methuselah".

See also the inability to play Taste of Vitae when there is no "the
opposing vampire".

LSJ

Feb 25, 2010, 2:17:46 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 2:05 pm, "adam.hu...@gmail.com" <adam.hu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > [AUS][SER] Only usable as a (D) action is announced. If this action is
> > > successful, put a corruption counter on a minion controlled by the
> > > target Methuselah (after resolving the action)
>
> Why isn't it a corruption counter on a minion from each player? Each
> player has the opportunity to block since they are all targeted by
> said D action?

Because card text doesn't say "from each player".
Card text: "a corruption counter on a minion controlled by the target".

adam....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2010, 2:41:03 PM2/25/10

And there is more then one target. Weight the heart is focused on the
term "target methueslah". So I would think that any (and every)
condition that has "target methuselah" would be fulfilled.

- I declare a D action. (it target X methuselahs)
- I play Weigh the Heart (a D action was announced)
- action is successful (all X methuselah's fail to block)
- Result: Place corruption counter on target minion of that methuselah
---- Was it a successful D action against Meth A? Yes. Corruption
counter.
---- Was it a successful D action against Meth B? Yes. Corruption
counter.
---- Was it a successful D action against Meth C? Yes. Corruption
counter.

not sure why I keep questioning this LSJ but it seems interesting.
I don't put in my 2 cents too often so bear with me. :-)

Thanks,
Adam

LSJ

Feb 25, 2010, 2:54:19 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 2:41 pm, "adam.hu...@gmail.com" <adam.hu...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2:17 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> > > Why isn't it a corruption counter on a minion from each player? Each
> > > player has the opportunity to block since they are all targeted by
> > > said D action?
>
> > Because card text doesn't say "from each player".
> > Card text: "a corruption counter on a minion controlled by the target".
>
> And there is more then one target.

Exactly. There isn't a "the target Methuselah". There is (are) "the
target Methuselahs".

If there is no "the target Methuselah, then you cannot put a counter
on a minion controller by "the target Methuselah".

> Weight the heart is focused on the
> term "target methueslah". So I would think that any (and every)
> condition that has "target methuselah" would be fulfilled.
>
> - I declare a D action. (it target X methuselahs)
> - I play Weigh the Heart (a D action was announced)
> - action is successful (all X methuselah's fail to block)
> - Result: Place corruption counter on target minion of that methuselah

Not "target minion". "a minion controlled by the target Methuselah".

> ---- Was it a successful D action against Meth A? Yes. Corruption
> counter.
> ---- Was it a successful D action against Meth B? Yes. Corruption
> counter.
> ---- Was it a successful D action against Meth C? Yes. Corruption
> counter.

You've wedged an "for each target Methuselah" in there which isn't
there.

The result now is "Place *a* corruption counter on *a* minion
controlled by the target Methuselah."

Either this is impossible (no "the target" as above), or you relax it
to "the target Methuselah(s)", then you have "put *a* counter on *a*
minion controlled by the target Methuselah(s)." (cf. Marked Path).

But there is no minion who is controlled by two Methuselahs. Each
minion has only one controller.

So you choose a minion from the set of minions controlled by the
target Methuselahs.
(not the set of individuals who are each controlled by all of the
targets, but the set of individuals each of whose controller is among
the targets).

adam....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2010, 3:12:21 PM2/25/10

"And that's all she wrote folks! "