(LSJ) Hell-for-Leather & Amaranth

floppyzedolfin

Jan 6, 2009, 9:59:16 AM1/6/09
Hello,

In a combat, my vampire inflicts 1 agg damage to the opposing vampire,
who doesn't prevent it.
I play Hell-for-Leather (obt), and the replaced card is an Amaranth.
Can I play Amaranth here, after having played Hell-for-Leather?

Problem is : Hell-for-Leather reads "the opposing minion is not
[ready]", whereas Amaranth reads "the opposing vampire should go to
torpor".

--

Cardtexts :

Name: Hell-for-Leather
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Animalism/Celerity/Obtenebration
Requires an anarch. Only one Hell-for-Leather may be played at a given
Discipline each combat.
[ani] Strike: dodge, with an additional strike.
[cel] Additional strike (that doesn't count against the limit).
[obt] Play if this anarch is ready and the opposing minion is not. The
opposing minion's controller burns 2 pool.

Name: Amaranth
Cardtype: Combat
Only usable by a vampire who can commit diablerie. Only usable when
the opposing vampire should go to torpor. Diablerize the opposing
vampire instead. Not usable by a vampire being burned or going to
torpor.

LSJ

Jan 6, 2009, 10:10:48 AM1/6/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a combat, my vampire inflicts 1 agg damage to the opposing vampire,
> who doesn't prevent it.
> I play Hell-for-Leather (obt), and the replaced card is an Amaranth.
> Can I play Amaranth here, after having played Hell-for-Leather?

Yes.

> Problem is : Hell-for-Leather reads "the opposing minion is not
> [ready]", whereas Amaranth reads "the opposing vampire should go to
> torpor".

No problem; both descriptions apply in this case.

Meej

Jan 6, 2009, 12:54:32 PM1/6/09
On Jan 6, 10:10 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> floppyzedolfin wrote:

> > Problem is : Hell-for-Leather reads "the opposing minion is not
> > [ready]", whereas Amaranth reads "the opposing vampire should go to
> > torpor".
>
> No problem; both descriptions apply in this case.

Huh. Really? Despite the fact that HFL appears to only trigger once
the opposing minion is *in* torpor (ie, not ready), while Amaranth
triggers when the minion would be sent there (ie, they're ready until
they either go or are burned)? That seems to create a non-ready, non-
torpor limbo that they pass through in between...

- D.J.

LSJ

Jan 6, 2009, 12:58:14 PM1/6/09
Meej wrote:
> On Jan 6, 10:10 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> floppyzedolfin wrote:
>
>>> Problem is : Hell-for-Leather reads "the opposing minion is not
>>> [ready]", whereas Amaranth reads "the opposing vampire should go to
>>> torpor".
>> No problem; both descriptions apply in this case.
>
> Huh. Really? Despite the fact that HFL appears to only trigger once
> the opposing minion is *in* torpor (ie, not ready),

When he's *in* torpor, combat has already ended, so combat cards, like KFL,
could not be played.

> while Amaranth
> triggers when the minion would be sent there (ie, they're ready until
> they either go or are burned)?

No. The vampire stops being ready when he's wounded.

That seems to create a non-ready, non-
> torpor limbo that they pass through in between...

He becomes wounded, yeah.

Meej

Jan 6, 2009, 1:02:14 PM1/6/09

OK. Hadn't caught on that wounded was a game-state change from ready,
as opposed to a condition on the vampire that had to be resolved.
Thanks! That clears it up well.
- D.J.