Aim Vs Thrown Gate question (LSJ)

Stone

Apr 9, 2008, 11:18:18 AM4/9/08
1/ In combat and during the 6.4.2 "Determine Range" step, a minion A plays
Thrown Gate (Strike: 1R damage, with an optional maneuver.) to get the
maneuver.
Can he play a Target :X card (Aim. Play when choosing a strike.) at this
point ?
I guess not, since the "choose strike" step is after the 6.4.2 step,
regardless of whether a minion committed to a strike earlier (I assume it'd
be the same for Primal Instincts Vs Thrown Gate, you can't cancel a TG with
PI during 6.4.2).
Correct ?

2/ Assuming I got it right and that the opposing minion B got back to close
range then Immortal Grapple'd minion A, can A play a Target:X card for
cycling purposes ? (I guess not either, since he has to choose "no strike").

thanks,
Stone

LSJ

Apr 9, 2008, 11:15:01 AM4/9/08
Stone wrote:
> 1/ In combat and during the 6.4.2 "Determine Range" step, a minion A plays
> Thrown Gate (Strike: 1R damage, with an optional maneuver.) to get the
> maneuver.
> Can he play a Target :X card (Aim. Play when choosing a strike.) at this
> point ?
> I guess not, since the "choose strike" step is after the 6.4.2 step,
> regardless of whether a minion committed to a strike earlier (I assume it'd
> be the same for Primal Instincts Vs Thrown Gate, you can't cancel a TG with
> PI during 6.4.2).
> Correct ?

Correct. He would also not declare if he was throwing the gate at the opposing
minion or at one of the opposing minion's retainers at this time, either.

The strike (and its target and/or aim) are not chosen until 6.4.3.

> 2/ Assuming I got it right and that the opposing minion B got back to close
> range then Immortal Grapple'd minion A, can A play a Target:X card for
> cycling purposes ? (I guess not either, since he has to choose "no strike").

Correct.