Swarm and Pack Alpha

Ben Swainbank

Dec 16, 2005, 9:22:22 AM12/16/05

Some Swarm questions:

If my Vampire tries to recruit a Swam, and gets blocked, does the Swarm
go on my vampire immediately or once the combat and action resolves?
Can the Swarm be moved post-block with Form of Mist?

Is a Swarm that has been placed on a Vampire by someone else, or
because it was blocked while recruiting, considered to be "employed by
this vampire" for the purposes of superior Pack Alpha?

Swarm:

Put the Swarm on any ready minion (employing the Swarm is a +1 stealth
(D) action if that minion is controlled by another Methuselah). If this
action is blocked, put the Swarm on the acting minion instead (no cost
is paid). During this minion's untap phase, if the Swarm has more than
1 life, it burns a life; otherwise, it steals 1 blood or life from this
minion. A minion may have only one Swarm.

Pack Alpha

[ANI] Burn an animal retainer employed by this vampire and put this
card on this vampire. The minion with this card gets +1 strength. A
minion may have only one Pack Alpha.

-Ben Swainbank

LSJ

Dec 16, 2005, 9:30:37 AM12/16/05
Ben Swainbank wrote:

> Some Swarm questions:
>
> If my Vampire tries to recruit a Swam, and gets blocked, does the Swarm
> go on my vampire immediately or once the combat and action resolves?

Immediately.

> Can the Swarm be moved post-block with Form of Mist?

No. The action will fizzle if the action-enabler is missing.
Like Bombing a location, getting blocked using the Bomb in
combat, and then Misting to continue.

> Is a Swarm that has been placed on a Vampire by someone else, or
> because it was blocked while recruiting, considered to be "employed by
> this vampire" for the purposes of superior Pack Alpha?

Any retainer on a minion is employed by that minion.
It is a state check, not a history check.

--
That is my story, be it bitter or be it sweet.
Keep a little and let a little come back to me.

Screaming Vermillian

Dec 16, 2005, 3:07:25 PM12/16/05
More questions... for you LSJ

Can I 'employ' swarm with Pack Alpha, and put it on someone else?

Swarm:
Put the Swarm on any ready minion (employing the Swarm is a +1 stealth
(D) action if that minion is controlled by another Methuselah). If this

action is blocked, put the Swarm on the acting minion instead (no cost
is paid). During this minion's untap phase, if the Swarm has more than
1 life, it burns a life; otherwise, it steals 1 blood or life from this

minion. A minion may have only one Swarm.

Pack Alpha
A vampire may play only one Pack Alpha each round.
[ani] Employ an animal retainer from your hand before range is
determined. Pay cost as normal.

Pack Alpha says you can 'employ' an animal retainder from your hand.
Swarm is an animal retainer. Swarm says "Put the Swarm on any ready
minion" so I choose another minion. This doesn't seem banned by PA card
text. Swarm says that the Employ action will be a +1 stealth D action
if I choose another minion. So this would make me believe that I
couldn't. But then again, how could I Employ an animal retainder from
my hand with PA in the first place? I'm in the middle of combat, how
could I take a +1 stealth undirected action to place the retainer on
the acting minion (normal definition of employ).

Do you see my confusion?

A little more organized...

So Swarm says Employ = +1 stealth D action if another minion is
choosen. So we have two cards contradicting one another... Normally PA
lets me employ during combat. So I choose Swarm. Swarm says you can put
it on another minion. So I do so. Now Swarm says the employ (which PA
is letting do) is a +1 stealth D action. But PA doesn't care what
"employ"'s effects are being changed to do. It just sees "employ" and
so does it.

That's my arguement. Disagree with me.

~SV

David Zopf

Dec 16, 2005, 3:18:14 PM12/16/05

"Screaming Vermillian" <alexand...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> More questions... for you LSJ
>
> Can I 'employ' swarm with Pack Alpha, and put it on someone else?

No. A non-standard "employ" results in the retainer on the minion.

Google Search: "Swarm pack alpha author:LSJ"
yields:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_frm/thread/e755c84e226d763a/29b4f544d4127b42?lnk=st&q=swarm+pack+alpha+author%3ALSJ&rnum=2&hl=en#29b4f544d4127b42

DaveZ
Atom Weaver

LSJ

Dec 16, 2005, 3:19:53 PM12/16/05
Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> More questions... for you LSJ
>
> Can I 'employ' swarm with Pack Alpha, and put it on someone else?

No.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/c45f41cc1ed2d803