OFFICIAL V:EKN BRUJAH ANTITRIBU NEWSLETTER -- October 2001

8 vues

Derek Ray

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 04:21:3203/10/2001
OFFICIAL V:EKN BRUJAH ANTITRIBU NEWSLETTER -- October 2001
Volume III, Issue 1

IN THIS ISSUE...

* Introduction
* Story Time!
* Found in the Dustbin: Blood Brother Ambush
* Center Stage: Julian Sanders
* Deck of the Month: Battery Included
* Editor's Soapbox

INTRODUCTION: So who's da new guy, huh?

Well, I'm sure not Wes. Before I start in on my own ideas, though,
I'd like to congratulate Wes on his excellent job with the newsletter
in the past; and I'm sure the Setites will have plenty to look
forward to from the twisted depths of his mind. Which probably isn't
even an insult, if you're a snake. ;)

But with the previous editor developing a bad case of the slithers,
this position was left vacant... which resulted in someone getting
SHANGHAIED to fill the job, and that someone was me. =) Make of it
what you will. But I do have some ideas, and I'm looking forward to
the chance to parade them around and show off some new tricks.
(Picture a circus elephant with Celerity.)

For one, I'd like to take them in some new directions. Many people
look at the !Brujah, and see Richter, Jacko, Hugo, and Victor
Tolliver, and say "Rush!" And they're certainly very good at it, and
you can make a quite-effective deck with them by simply including 60-
70 various POT or CEL combat cards. But that's not all these guys
can do, and over the next few months, I'll try to explore some
different facets and ideas; creating a bruise-and-bleed, stealth-
bleed, and even turning them into voters... or even interceptors, as
amusing as that might sound at first.

So, enough with the babbling, and on with the show! This month
features a card everyone's seen and looked at, and was even discussed
recently on the newsgroup; a vampire that everyone's seen, but may
NOT have looked at; and a bright-idea deck that might not win you any
tournaments, but will definitely shake things up in your local
metagame.

STORY TIME!

(sounds of static)

<tap... tap...>

"Uh. This thing on? Yeah, ...okay. Uh. Story time is, um,
cancelled until further notice. Go find a poetry reading or
something."

FOUND IN THE DUSTBIN: Blood Brother Ambush

Blood Brother Ambush: Action Modifier, Brujah Antitribu, 2 blood

"Only usable when an action is blocked. Combat does not occur. Put
this card into play. While in play, this card represents an ally with
3 life and 2 strength who can strike for 2R damage; this ally enters
combat with the blocking minion. Blood Brothers may play cards
requiring basic Potence as a vampire with a capacity of 3. Any cost
in blood is paid with life. If a card would give them blood, give
them life instead. Burn this card at the end of combat or if the
combat is cancelled."

Well, that's certainly a lot of text; that by itself and the 2-blood
cost may turn a lot of people off this card completely, and certainly
gives anyone a pause for thought. But it's probably worth it to at
least CONSIDER including one or two in every !Brujah deck. Why?

First and foremost, it gets around any annoying reaction cards,
most especially the dreaded Obedience. There's nothing more
annoying than taking a nice peaceful bleed-for-3 action with a
handful of combat, only to have that fatass Lucian play 2nd Tradition
and Obedience on poor Jacko. But BBA resolves BEFORE Obedience can
be played, and Obedience may not be played against allies... which
could be a very rude surprise.

Second, it saves YOUR vampire from potentially risky combat. Pesky
Gangrel and Tzimisce in front of you blocking all your bleeds and
poking you in the eye? Let 'em poke the BBA for one; it doesn't care
about those stupid claws. Tired of fighting the Illusionary Ravnos
playing their Trap/Undead Persistence? You've got your OWN "not my
vampire" card; screw 'em. No matter what they do to the BBA... it
only cost you two blood. And you can even play the BBA when someone
blocks a Rush action.

Third, it's a clan-based card, meaning even poor old piss-ass
Frederick the Weak (or conceivably, your Embrace/Creation Rites) can
play this card when he gets blocked. Sure, he has to hunt next turn,
but let's be realistic; he was going to torpor anyway. At least this
way he gets a chance at hitting back.

Now let's look at how it fights. It's an ally with 3 life and 2
strength that can play inferior Potence cards. As if that wasn't
annoying enough, it can strike for 2R damage, meaning that while a
simple maneuver might be enough to get away from a ravening Hugo, it
won't save you from the BBA. And inferior Potence... not enough can
be said about this. The BBA can play Immortal Grapple, ensuring that
for your 2 blood spent you at least get 2 damage off someone. There
are several basic variants that can be used:

- A simple Trap will cause 6 damage to any otherwise defenseless
minion, ...such as Lucian above, who was relying VERY heavily on his
Obedience. In addition, you can 'draw out' offensive combat cards
with a Trap, as opposing minions will need to hit for 3 on the first
round or risk taking another shot for 2.

- Adding in a few Growing Fury gives the potential for 2nd- or 3rd-
round strikes of 4 each. No good against S:CE, but against anything
else...

- Using Pushing the Limit gives you a strike for 4 in the first
round, which combines well with Immortal Grapple for a good single-
shot combo that can't easily be got past.

And besides all this... most of your !Brujah have Potence, and can
play the same cards that your BBA can play. So even if you don't
have the BBA in hand, Rigby is able to play Pushing the Limit too,
and get almost the same effect (although you are putting Rigby at
risk).

I personally like tossing at least a couple BBA/Trap in a !Brujah deck,
just to get my vamps out of a bad situation if nothing else. And it
should certainly always be up for consideration -- 2 blood is cheap,
compared to possibly losing a key vampire.

CENTER STAGE: Julian Sanders

Final Nights gave us a new friend, and he fills a gap in our clan
that few people were aware of. We already have a six-cap, yes... but
Sela's vast array of disciplines, title, and +1 bleed tend to make
her quite a target and draw a LOT of unwanted attention. Julian, on
the other hand,...

Julian Sanders, Brujah Antitribu, 6-cap
CEL pot PRE
Sabbat. Julian gets one optional press each combat.

Julian's disciplines are much more innocuous, especially the
inferior Potence. But don't be fooled; he's as mean as they get.
He's got the basic pot/CEL combo, meaning Torn Signpost/IG/Blur for 6
points of damage on the first round, and superior Celerity for all
the utility cards it provides. His optional press is always handy to
continue and possibly IG/Blur *again*, or (if necessary) to end
combat and back away from a pesky opposing Trap or other potential
problem. And his superior Presence lets him both bleed effectively
with Social Charm/Aire of Elation AND play Enchant Kindred at
superior to bring out all his friends like Rigby, Hugo, and Victor
Tolliver. Sela is nice, but it's tough to overlook that +1 bleed and
superior Potence. Julian gives us the option to NOT be obvious...
something many people just don't expect from the !Brujah.

DECK OF THE MONTH: Battery Included

So, it's a pretty straightforward bruise-and-bleed deck. It
includes both our Card and Vampire of the month, and it's got a
couple neat tricks in it I'll explore in detail in future newsletters.

The Enchant Kindreds should be played at superior, for pool gain and
extra vampires. Try not to empty your crypt, or you'll end up wasting
the EKs as bleed. Once you get set up and rolling, bleed heavily with
your minions, using the Aire of Elation for an occasional boost, or
the Legal Manipulations to provoke a block. Use the BBAs as
necessary to save your minions (or just to surprise someone who
blocked Frederick), but don't be afraid to discard duplicates, as
eventually decks WILL just quit blocking you. For your predator,
some Bum's Rush are included, as well as light permanent intercept;
depending on your environment, you may wish to replace some of the
Wakes with more Rush actions. The BBA gets absolutely no benefit out
of the Torn Signposts (except cycling a card), so YOUR vampires are
going to have to use them while intercepting, and here a Trap works
well also. The Minor Boon idea is intended to be used when
intercepting and vaporizing a predator's key vamp; you should be able
to at least get one minion tied up this way. This can be credited to
something I saw BJ Campbell do long ago, and while I'll save a long
discussion of it for another newsletter, suffice it to say that it's
always good to have Jost Werner unable to bleed you at *ALL* for the
entire game.

Deck Name: Battery Included
Created by: DSR

Crypt: (12 cards) [Min: 13, Max: 26, Avg: 4.92]
1 Amelia (CEL POT PRE, Brujah Antitribu, 7, Bishop)
1 Evangeline (cel pot pre, Brujah Antitribu, 4)
1 Frederick the Weak (pre, Brujah Antitribu, 2)
2 Hugo (POT pre vic, Brujah Antitribu, 4)
1 Jacob Bragg (cel pot, Brujah Antitribu, 3)
1 Julian Sanders (CEL pot PRE, Brujah Antitribu, 6)
1 Richter (CEL for POT pre, Brujah Antitribu, 7)
2 Rigby (aus CEL pot PRE, Brujah Antitribu, 5)
2 Sela (cel obt POT PRE, Brujah Antitribu, 6, Bishop)

Library: (80 cards)
Master (11 cards)
1 Amusement Park Hunting Ground
4 Blood Doll
1 Hungry Coyote, The
1 London Evening Star, Tabloid Newspaper
3 Minor Boon
1 Waste Management Operation

Action (13 cards)
4 Bum's Rush
6 Enchant Kindred
3 Legal Manipulations

ActionMod (14 cards)
6 Aire of Elation
8 Blood Brother Ambush

Reaction (8 cards)
8 Wake with Evening's Freshness

Combat (30 cards)
9 Immortal Grapple
3 Taste of Vitae
8 Torn Signpost
10 Trap

Retainer (1 card)
1 Mr. Winthrop

Equipment (3 cards)
3 Sport Bike

TAMING THE ELEPHANT: Bruise and Bleed

While this newsletter is already long enough as is, I wanted to
briefly touch on the idea of bruise-and-bleed as a strategy. Many
people malign it as vulnerable to Deflection, weak on bruise,
difficult to mix well, and other flaws. I believe that if built
right, bruise-and-bleed can be VERY strong; but it takes changing
your style around a little bit.

...Like not putting all your eggs in one basket. While the basic idea
of bruise and bleed is to make the bleed large enough that people
need to block or it hurts, it isn't very effective to do this with
action cards. Using action cards telegraphs your intent to your
opponent, and also guarantees that you'll have to kill all his
vampires before ousting him, as he'll sacrifice as many vamps as he
can when a bleed that'll oust comes through. It's much more
effective to bleed for 1 initially, and use action modifiers to
increase as necessary; this way your prey must consider ALL bleeds a
potential threat, and is likely to let through a number of bleeds for
1 that normally wouldn't get by, while saving his Deflection for Sela
(who can then Rush someone). The idea is to constantly keep your
prey off balance and guessing; this can only help you in the long run.

...Or Rush actions. You don't need as many of them, since you only
need to kill your prey's vampires if they're doing something that
makes your bleeds ineffective, like Deflecting them. Otherwise, your
Rush cards could go backwards against your predator, since all those
bleeds for 1 become potential cardless Rush actions. Or better yet,
those Rushes could be saved until you REALLY need them; after all,
you're going to have a good bit of warning before Grendel does
anything that'll knock tons of your pool off.

So that's it for this month. I hope you've found it interesting,
informative, entertaining, or hell, even suitable for the bottom of
the bird cage as a printout. At least you did SOMETHING with it...
and the bird might even build a !Brujah deck. ;)

Next month:

- Survivalist: Does it suck?
- Rigby: inferior Auspex?
- Avoiding the Googler: using your momos
- and a bright, shiny, new deck!

Cameron

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 12:11:5603/10/2001
> FOUND IN THE DUSTBIN: Blood Brother Ambush
>
> Blood Brother Ambush: Action Modifier, Brujah Antitribu, 2 blood

> - A simple Trap will cause 6 damage to any otherwise defenseless

> minion, ...such as Lucian above, who was relying VERY heavily on his
> Obedience. In addition, you can 'draw out' offensive combat cards
> with a Trap, as opposing minions will need to hit for 3 on the first
> round or risk taking another shot for 2.
>
> - Adding in a few Growing Fury gives the potential for 2nd- or 3rd-
> round strikes of 4 each. No good against S:CE, but against anything
> else...
>
> - Using Pushing the Limit gives you a strike for 4 in the first
> round, which combines well with Immortal Grapple for a good single-
> shot combo that can't easily be got past.

As seen at Gencon:

BBA, increased strength xlots, IG, undead strength. ouch.

Cameron

Alex Broadhead

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 14:23:2003/10/2001
Howdy Derek,

Great start! I absolutely hate potence, and yet I immediately sat
down and started tinkering with a !Brujah-potence based deck. (Or
course, then I decided I liked your deck better and scrapped it, but
it's the thought that counts...)

One question, for you and/or the powers that be. (Disclaimer: I'm
really not trying to be dense or trolling, I just don't really know
the answer and couldn't find it. Please don't flame me.)

> Blood Brother Ambush: Action Modifier, Brujah Antitribu, 2 blood
>
> "Only usable when an action is blocked. Combat does not occur. Put
> this card into play. While in play, this card represents an ally with
> 3 life and 2 strength who can strike for 2R damage; this ally enters
> combat with the blocking minion. Blood Brothers may play cards
> requiring basic Potence as a vampire with a capacity of 3. Any cost
> in blood is paid with life. If a card would give them blood, give
> them life instead. Burn this card at the end of combat or if the
> combat is cancelled."

Much snippage.

> Combat (30 cards)
> 9 Immortal Grapple
> 3 Taste of Vitae
> 8 Torn Signpost
> 10 Trap

OK, so Blood Brothers can clearly use IG and Trap. I'm pretty sure
they can't Taste; they can play cards as a vampire only if those cards
require Potence, yes?

The real question, though: Can they benefit from the Torn Signposts
(or, say, Fists of Death or Fire in the Blood)? They can clearly
_play_ those cards, but all three explicitly talk about 'this vampire'
and have continuing action. Are the Blood Brothers still considered
vampires for purposes of these cards after they have played them, for
instance in the next round of combat?

My guess is yes; I wouldn't be guessing (i.e. I'd be certain) except
that I was kind of confused by the whole Talaq wants a Rutor's
Hand/Akhenaten wants Ex Nihilo controversy, in which it was ruled that
allies who are able can _play_ cards as vampires (and suffer any
immediate side effects of such play), but they cannot _use_ such
cards, where 'use' means 'benefit from (or be affected by in any way?)
after play'. Given that both the cards involved in the controversy
are permanents, I'm guessing that 'use' further translates to 'benefit
from after the action in which they are played ends', which would make
the Potence cards usable by Blood Brothers; the 'play' of these cards
would effectively confer their (continuing) benefits instantaneously.

I did, BTW, try to find and navigate the original controversy without
much luck - everything I found was either too broad to read through in
less than a week or too narrow to answer my question. Again, please
don't flame me.

Thanks,
Alex

LSJ

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 15:10:1903/10/2001
Alex Broadhead wrote:
> One question, for you and/or the powers that be. (Disclaimer: I'm
> really not trying to be dense or trolling, I just don't really know
> the answer and couldn't find it. Please don't flame me.)
>
> > Blood Brother Ambush: Action Modifier, Brujah Antitribu, 2 blood
> [...]

> OK, so Blood Brothers can clearly use IG and Trap. I'm pretty sure
> they can't Taste; they can play cards as a vampire only if those cards
> require Potence, yes?

Correct.

> The real question, though: Can they benefit from the Torn Signposts
> (or, say, Fists of Death or Fire in the Blood)? They can clearly
> _play_ those cards, but all three explicitly talk about 'this vampire'
> and have continuing action. Are the Blood Brothers still considered
> vampires for purposes of these cards after they have played them, for
> instance in the next round of combat?

The effect is applied to "this vampire" as the card is played. The effect
then lasts for the remainder of combat. The card doesn't remain in play.

> My guess is yes; I wouldn't be guessing (i.e. I'd be certain) except
> that I was kind of confused by the whole Talaq wants a Rutor's
> Hand/Akhenaten wants Ex Nihilo controversy, in which it was ruled that
> allies who are able can _play_ cards as vampires (and suffer any
> immediate side effects of such play), but they cannot _use_ such
> cards, where 'use' means 'benefit from (or be affected by in any way?)
> after play'.

"use" means "use the card in play"
Contrast with Torn Signpost, which isn't "used" except when played.

> Given that both the cards involved in the controversy
> are permanents, I'm guessing that 'use' further translates to 'benefit
> from after the action in which they are played ends', which would make
> the Potence cards usable by Blood Brothers; the 'play' of these cards
> would effectively confer their (continuing) benefits instantaneously.

TS is not permanent. It is discarded when played.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Mike Ooi

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 16:46:4603/10/2001
If another Methuselah plays a Left for Dead on your Blood Brother Ambush,
what is the end result?

Left For Dead:
Master: out-of-turn
Only usable as an ally is burned in combat. Combat ends. Put this card on
that ally; that ally is not burned. Put 1 life on the ally from the blood
bank if he or she has no life. Tap the ally. If the ally with this card
enters combat, he or she is burned. Burn this card instead of untapping the
ally during his or her next untap phase.

Blood Brother Ambush:

Only usable when an action is blocked. Combat does not occur. Put this card
into play. While in play, this card represents an ally with 3 life and 2
strength who can strike for 2R damage; this ally enters combat with the

blocking minion. Blood Brothers may play cards requiring basic potence as a

vampire with a capacity of 3. Any cost in blood is paid with life. If a card
would give them blood, give them life instead. Burn this card at the end of
combat or if the combat is cancelled.

If the BBA remains in play, is its inherent bleed 8 or 0? Does the world end
if this occurs?

-Mike

LSJ

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 17:14:1303/10/2001
Mike Ooi wrote:

> If another Methuselah plays a Left for Dead on your Blood Brother Ambush,
> what is the end result?

Assuming he somehow got burned in combat - he's burned again (when combat ends)
by card text on BBA.

You can't play LfD on the BBA if the BBA is merely being burned as a result
of combat ending, since that isn't being burned "in combat" as required by
LfD.

Wes

non lue,
3 oct. 2001, 23:47:4303/10/2001

"Derek Ray" <lor...@yah00.com> wrote

> Well, I'm sure not Wes. Before I start in on my own ideas, though,
> I'd like to congratulate Wes on his excellent job with the newsletter
> in the past; and I'm sure the Setites will have plenty to look
> forward to from the twisted depths of his mind. Which probably isn't
> even an insult, if you're a snake. ;)

Hell, it's not even an insult to me personally :)

Good luck with the newsletter. I'm happy to have it in capable hands (ie. a
thug).

<snip Blood Brother Ambush + CoolComboCard ideas>

I've always liked BBA with Burning Wrath. It costs the entire life of the
BBA, but who cares? He was going to burn anyway... may as well make himself
useful in the process. He basically becomes a spontaneous Escaped Mental
Patient.

The advantage to this is that it simply takes two cards and two blood from a
!Brujah to do 2 agg damage. I think this is a pretty cost-effective way to
do some aggravated damage, especially when you're not a clan with regular
access to it. Now, if you are facing a clan you are afraid of, chances are
they have a maneuver or damage prevention, but what can you do? At least
your vampire stays vertical for another turn.

I was considering this combo as a trick-deck a while back. Basically 10 BBA
and 10 BW with a lot of heavy bleeds or other obnoxious actions.

Relying on BBA of course will often get you into the same mess that Hidden
Lurker decks have. What do you do when people stop blocking you? Best used
sparingly I would imagine... Don't forget however that people often block
Bum's Rush to get rid of the inherent maneuver. Not when you throw this
dirty trick at them!

Cheers,
WES

Halcyan 2

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 00:10:2304/10/2001
>I've always liked BBA with Burning Wrath. It costs the entire life of the
>BBA, but who cares? He was going to burn anyway... may as well make himself
>useful in the process. He basically becomes a spontaneous Escaped Mental
>Patient.

Doesn't the Blood Brother die as soon as you play the Burning Wrath? He has 0
life and combat ends before strike resolution...right?

Halcyan 2

Barny Baker

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 04:35:3104/10/2001
Played Derek, I enjoyed that newsletter, keep it up and all that.

LSJ

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 06:32:1704/10/2001

Yes.

Derek Ray

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 11:34:2304/10/2001
On 3 Oct 2001 11:23:20 -0700, alex.br...@clearband.com (Alex
Broadhead) wrote:

>Howdy Derek,
>
>Great start! I absolutely hate potence, and yet I immediately sat
>down and started tinkering with a !Brujah-potence based deck. (Or
>course, then I decided I liked your deck better and scrapped it, but
>it's the thought that counts...)

*chuckle* I like that particular thought, myself. Thanks =)

>One question, for you and/or the powers that be. (Disclaimer: I'm
>really not trying to be dense or trolling, I just don't really know
>the answer and couldn't find it. Please don't flame me.)

Asking questions in the "i have a question?" phrasing will almost NEVER
get you flamed, except by bozos. Asking questions in the "what the
fuck? this aint right, what stupid dork made this ruling?" phrasing
will usually put a big old target on your forehead, however.

>OK, so Blood Brothers can clearly use IG and Trap. I'm pretty sure
>they can't Taste; they can play cards as a vampire only if those cards
>require Potence, yes?

Yep. Which is just as well, can you imagine these guys being able to
gain blood somehow? Messy.

(As a sideline, note that if you have a Mystic Vagabond in play, you can
tap him after round 1 of the Trap to give the BBA an extra life. =)

>The real question, though: Can they benefit from the Torn Signposts
>(or, say, Fists of Death or Fire in the Blood)? They can clearly
>_play_ those cards, but all three explicitly talk about 'this vampire'
>and have continuing action. Are the Blood Brothers still considered
>vampires for purposes of these cards after they have played them, for
>instance in the next round of combat?

LSJ has already answered the technical details on this one.

Realistically, though; the Torn Signpost won't help them at all, since
they already have 2 strength (and not +1 strength, like Binaca). The
Fists of Death and Fire in the Blood produce identical effects, but it
costs a life off the BBA to use them, so unless you're going to whack
someone in the first round ONLY, then it's not a very efficient use of
his life. Increased Strength will work for the BBA, and NOT cost any of
his life... meaning you can combo with IG/Pushing the Limit for a big
ugly first round strike, and as always, most of the rest of your
vampires can IS/IG/PtL just as well as the BBA can.

As (you or someone else?) commented later, yeah, people WILL eventually
quit blocking you; but that's why you should feel free to discard the
BBAs as much as possible; especially if you get the Waste Management
Operation out, where they can just end up on the bottom of your library
again. All the rest of your stuff can be moved pretty freely.

If I were tweaking this for a tournament, I'd probably pull out 2 BBA
and a Taste, add in a Dreams, Sudden, and DI, and swap Richter out for
Sarah Brando or Hector Sosa. And maybe yank out cards by proportion
until I got down to 70, to increase the effectiveness of the WMO.

--
Derek

Derek Ray

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 11:39:1804/10/2001
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:47:43 -0400, "Wes" <gh...@NOSPAMmnsi.net> wrote:

>"Derek Ray" <lor...@yah00.com> wrote
>
>> Well, I'm sure not Wes. Before I start in on my own ideas, though,
>> I'd like to congratulate Wes on his excellent job with the newsletter
>> in the past; and I'm sure the Setites will have plenty to look
>> forward to from the twisted depths of his mind. Which probably isn't
>> even an insult, if you're a snake. ;)
>
>Hell, it's not even an insult to me personally :)

Damn. I was TRYING. =)

>Good luck with the newsletter. I'm happy to have it in capable hands (ie. a
>thug).

Grod thump vampires!

>Relying on BBA of course will often get you into the same mess that Hidden
>Lurker decks have. What do you do when people stop blocking you? Best used
>sparingly I would imagine... Don't forget however that people often block
>Bum's Rush to get rid of the inherent maneuver. Not when you throw this
>dirty trick at them!

They also often block Bum's Rush to force you to pick a fight with
someone who can fight back, or who has a .44 and can maneuver away. =)
Both of these get kind of negated.

I have a lot in there because unlike Hidden Lurker, BBA has a cost.
While you can be pretty sure that someone will play an HL every chance
they get (virtually no risk at all in doing so, and no cost), it doesn't
LOOK like you should be able to play that many BBAs without getting
completely out of blood. You could run into someone who keeps happily
blocking, thinking "How many of those can he HAVE in the deck, anyway?"
... And they can then, of course, find out. =)

--
Derek

James Coupe

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 12:18:2404/10/2001
In message <tc0prt07p7v2n2uhe...@4ax.com>, Derek Ray
<lor...@yah00.com> writes

>They also often block Bum's Rush to force you to pick a fight with
>someone who can fight back, or who has a .44 and can maneuver away. =)
>Both of these get kind of negated.

Thinking purely tangentially, it'd also be a nice surprise against a
deck that was playing Purchase Pact...

--
James Coupe PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D
And if it's all right, I'd kind've like to be your lover EBD690ECD7A1F

Wes

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 14:49:5104/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> Halcyan 2 wrote:
> >
> > >I've always liked BBA with Burning Wrath. It costs the entire life of
the
> > >BBA, but who cares? He was going to burn anyway... may as well make
himself
> > >useful in the process. He basically becomes a spontaneous Escaped
Mental
> > >Patient.
> >
> > Doesn't the Blood Brother die as soon as you play the Burning Wrath? He
has 0
> > life and combat ends before strike resolution...right?
>
> Yes.

Well... Sheeyit. In that case I apologize to anyone I ever played this combo
on.

However, I'm not sure I see the reason for this.

Burning Wrath is a strike. Why wouldn't the BBA's strike resolve normally
even if he does die in the process? It would seem comparable to a vampire
with 2 blood playing Burning Wrath and then being hit into torpor. Just
because the BBA is an ally, does the timing somehow change?

Please excuse my ignorance but this is a new one for me. It must be for
others as well since I have used this combo many times without complaint.
Well... other than 'Waah! Wes torped my vampire!'

Cheers,
WES

LSJ

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 15:33:2104/10/2001
Wes wrote:
> Burning Wrath is a strike. Why wouldn't the BBA's strike resolve normally
> even if he does die in the process? It would seem comparable to a vampire
> with 2 blood playing Burning Wrath and then being hit into torpor. Just
> because the BBA is an ally, does the timing somehow change?

He dies immediately when his life is reduced to zero.

In this case, that would be during the "choose strike" phase - before
strike resolution begins.

A vampire with 2 blood cannot play Burning Wrath (under usual circumstances),
but a vampire with 3 could. Since an empty vampire is still ready (unlike
the case for allies), combat continues to the strike resolution phase.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
4 oct. 2001, 15:34:3304/10/2001
>Burning Wrath is a strike. Why wouldn't the BBA's strike resolve normally
>even if he does die in the process? It would seem comparable to a vampire
>with 2 blood playing Burning Wrath and then being hit into torpor. Just
>because the BBA is an ally, does the timing somehow change?
>
>Please excuse my ignorance but this is a new one for me. It must be for
>others as well since I have used this combo many times without complaint.
>Well... other than 'Waah! Wes torped my vampire!'

Well I'm sure that similarly, if a vampire with 3 blood and an Anathema on him
plays Burning Wrath (reducing him to 0 blood), he burns from the Anathema and
the Burning Wrath strike never resolves...

Halcyan 2

Brad Ward

non lue,
5 oct. 2001, 11:48:4905/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BBB7FA5...@white-wolf.com>...

> Mike Ooi wrote:
> >
> > If another Methuselah plays a Left for Dead on your Blood Brother Ambush,
> > what is the end result?
>
> Assuming he somehow got burned in combat - he's burned again (when combat ends)
> by card text on BBA.
>
> You can't play LfD on the BBA if the BBA is merely being burned as a result
> of combat ending, since that isn't being burned "in combat" as required by
> LfD.

So when an ally is burned the combat keeps going? I thought combat ended
once the opponent is sent to torpor or burned. In your scenario BBA is
burned, then brought back with LfD and combat is still going so that when it
ends the BBA is burned again? If that is the case can the BBA play Mighty
Mighty Grapple for a press after being LfD?
If this was the Case with LfD, wouldn't every ally rescued die again since
they are in combat with LfD on them?

In a related question, if an ally of mine is burned in combat after blocking
someones action and I play LfD, can the opponent play Psyche and burn my
ally via the text on LfD? My guess is yes.

Brad Ward
prince of NLV

James Coupe

non lue,
5 oct. 2001, 12:07:0605/10/2001
In message <e5b93701.01100...@posting.google.com>, Brad Ward
<wa...@nevada.edu> writes

>> You can't play LfD on the BBA if the BBA is merely being burned as a result
>> of combat ending, since that isn't being burned "in combat" as required by
>> LfD.
>>

>So when an ally is burned the combat keeps going?

Left for Dead:

"Combat ends."

LSJ

non lue,
5 oct. 2001, 13:14:4105/10/2001
Brad Ward wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BBB7FA5...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Mike Ooi wrote:
> > >
> > > If another Methuselah plays a Left for Dead on your Blood Brother Ambush,
> > > what is the end result?
> >
> > Assuming he somehow got burned in combat - he's burned again (when combat ends)
> > by card text on BBA.
> >
> > You can't play LfD on the BBA if the BBA is merely being burned as a result
> > of combat ending, since that isn't being burned "in combat" as required by
> > LfD.
> >

> So when an ally is burned the combat keeps going?

If the ally is burned "in combat", then combat ends.
Not the situation being described above.

> I thought combat ended
> once the opponent is sent to torpor or burned.

Of course.

> In your scenario BBA is
> burned, then brought back with LfD and combat is still going so that when it
> ends the BBA is burned again?

If the BBA loses his last life "in combat" and is therefore burned (meaning
combat would end), LfD can be played on him. LfD ends combat. Combat ending
trigger's BBA's text - meaning that the BBA is burned.

> If that is the case can the BBA play Mighty
> Mighty Grapple for a press after being LfD?

No. LfD ends combat (card text on LfD). Combat being ended burns BBA (card text on BBA).

> If this was the Case with LfD, wouldn't every ally rescued die again since
> they are in combat with LfD on them?

No. See LfD card text.

> In a related question, if an ally of mine is burned in combat after blocking
> someones action and I play LfD, can the opponent play Psyche and burn my
> ally via the text on LfD? My guess is yes.

No, since the minion is not ready when combat ends (he's being burned), as
required by Psyche!

GreySeer

non lue,
7 oct. 2001, 22:25:4407/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't see why you can't Psyche!

Left for Dead
Master: out-of-turn. Only usable as an ally is burned in combat. Combat
ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned. Put one life on

the ally from the blood bank if he or she has no life. Tap the ally. If the
ally with this card enters combat, he or she is burned. Burn this card
instead of untapping the ally during his or her next untap phase.

Psyche!
[cel] Press. [CEL] Only usable at the end of a combat when both combatants
are still ready. Combat starts again. This is considered an entirely new
combat: weapons can contribute their maneuvers for a second time, and so
forth.

When you play LfD the ally is not burned, doesn't that mean that the ally is
still ready and is not "being burned" by card text ( "that ally is not
burned" ). This would mean that the requirements for Psyche! (S) are being
met. Or is it the case that the ally is "being burned" but by card text on
LfD you do not burn it.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 04:48:0008/10/2001
>Left for Dead
>Master: out-of-turn. Only usable as an ally is burned in combat. Combat
>ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned. Put one life on
>the ally from the blood bank if he or she has no life. Tap the ally. If the
>ally with this card enters combat, he or she is burned. Burn this card
>instead of untapping the ally during his or her next untap phase.
>
>Psyche!
>[cel] Press. [CEL] Only usable at the end of a combat when both combatants
>are still ready. Combat starts again. This is considered an entirely new
>combat: weapons can contribute their maneuvers for a second time, and so
>forth.

My best guess is that Psyche! must be played at the end of a combat but still
during the combat. So normally, when combat is ended with Majesty for instance,
there is a span of time for Psyche! to be played. Whereas with Left for Dead,
there is no such opportunity. (Don't know if that made sense. Oh well).

Anyway. Look at the text. "Combat ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally
is not burned." The not burned part takes place after combat ends. So at the
time combat ends (when Psyche! would be played), the minion is still considered
burned (and hence Psyche! can't be played). And then after that (past the time
you can play Psyche!) the ally is saved and is ready again.

Perhaps Psyche! would be allowable if it said "only usable as an ally is burned
in combat. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned. Combat ends.
Etc, etc."

Just guessing...

Halcyan 2

Halcyan 2

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 04:51:3808/10/2001
>"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
>> Brad Ward wrote:
>> > LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

>Ambush,

>combat ends)

Forgive the messy quoting.

Now what I don't understand is this:

If BBA is burned in combat (due to a Blood to Water, or 3 Weather Controls, or
whatever) and is saved by Left for Dead, then he's burned again by card text of
BBA.

But when a vampire is diablerized and plays Crimson Fury, he's only burned
once. (Previously asked). Text: "Burn both the diablerist and this vampire.
(The diablerie is still considered successful.)" Since the diablerie is
considered successful, wouldn't the vampire be burned once by the actual
diablerie. And if a Reform Body was played, he'd also be burned by the card
text of Crimson Fury? (So you'd need a second Reform Body).

Maybe it's just me.

Halcyan 2

LSJ

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 06:23:1008/10/2001
Halcyan 2 wrote:

> >Left for Dead
> >Master: out-of-turn. Only usable as an ally is burned in combat. Combat
> >ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned. Put one life on
> >the ally from the blood bank if he or she has no life. Tap the ally. If the
> >ally with this card enters combat, he or she is burned. Burn this card
> >instead of untapping the ally during his or her next untap phase.
> >
> >Psyche!
> >[cel] Press. [CEL] Only usable at the end of a combat when both combatants
> >are still ready. Combat starts again. This is considered an entirely new
> >combat: weapons can contribute their maneuvers for a second time, and so
> >forth.
>
> My best guess is that Psyche! must be played at the end of a combat but still
> during the combat. So normally, when combat is ended with Majesty for instance,
> there is a span of time for Psyche! to be played. Whereas with Left for Dead,
> there is no such opportunity. (Don't know if that made sense. Oh well).
>
> Anyway. Look at the text. "Combat ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally
> is not burned." The not burned part takes place after combat ends. So at the
> time combat ends (when Psyche! would be played), the minion is still considered
> burned (and hence Psyche! can't be played). And then after that (past the time
> you can play Psyche!) the ally is saved and is ready again.

Correct.

LSJ

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 06:26:2408/10/2001
Halcyan 2 wrote:

> >"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> >Ambush,

> >combat ends)
>
> Forgive the messy quoting.
>
> Now what I don't understand is this:
>
> If BBA is burned in combat (due to a Blood to Water, or 3 Weather Controls, or
> whatever) and is saved by Left for Dead, then he's burned again by card text of
> BBA.

Correct. LfD doesn't prevent the ally from being burned at a later time
by some other effect.

> But when a vampire is diablerized and plays Crimson Fury, he's only burned
> once. (Previously asked). Text: "Burn both the diablerist and this vampire.
> (The diablerie is still considered successful.)" Since the diablerie is
> considered successful, wouldn't the vampire be burned once by the actual
> diablerie. And if a Reform Body was played, he'd also be burned by the card
> text of Crimson Fury? (So you'd need a second Reform Body).

The "Burn this vampire" part is to answer the question "is this vampire
still burned?" It is not a second "burn". [LSJ 12-JUN-2001]

GreySeer

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 07:23:3208/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

I think I understand. I noticed that cards like Riposte and Catatonic fear
say "combat ends and....." so their effect is a part of the combat ending.
LfD's effect however is triggered after combat ends. Psyche! is played as
combat ends as opposed to after combat ends, so, as stated previously, when
Psyche! would be played ( as combat is ending ) the opposing ally is not
ready. When combat has ended, you cannot play Psyche! and the minion is not
burned.

James Coupe

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 07:41:3808/10/2001
In message <ts338h8...@news.supernews.com>, GreySeer
<e...@i.think.not> writes

>I think I understand. I noticed that cards like Riposte and Catatonic fear
>say "combat ends and....." so their effect is a part of the combat ending.

No. If a strike does "Strike: combat ends and...." the "and...." occurs
*after* combat ends.

GreySeer

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 10:25:3808/10/2001
"James Coupe" <jr...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> In message <ts338h8...@news.supernews.com>, GreySeer
> <e...@i.think.not> writes
> >I think I understand. I noticed that cards like Riposte and Catatonic
fear
> >say "combat ends and....." so their effect is a part of the combat
ending.

> No. If a strike does "Strike: combat ends and...." the "and...." occurs
> *after* combat ends.

I think I'm confused again. Given the rulings on Riposte, Catatonic Fear and
Left for Dead. It seems to me that Psyche! is played as combat is ending,
combat ends, then combat starts again. Otherwise, if you play Catatonic Fear
then Psyche! the damage would be lost and if I remember a ruling on the news
group it isn't.

Forgive me for going on about this, I'm not trying to convince anyone
they're incorrect. I like to understand *why* rulings are the way they are
rather than build a list of X beats Y unless Z. It makes it much easier to
answer questions that haven't come up before or I can't remeber the answer
to.

LSJ

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 10:37:1008/10/2001
GreySeer wrote:

> "James Coupe" <jr...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > In message <ts338h8...@news.supernews.com>, GreySeer
> > <e...@i.think.not> writes
> > >I think I understand. I noticed that cards like Riposte and Catatonic
> fear
> > >say "combat ends and....." so their effect is a part of the combat
> ending.
> >
> > No. If a strike does "Strike: combat ends and...." the "and...." occurs
> > *after* combat ends.
>
> I think I'm confused again. Given the rulings on Riposte, Catatonic Fear and
> Left for Dead. It seems to me that Psyche! is played as combat is ending,
> combat ends, then combat starts again. Otherwise, if you play Catatonic Fear
> then Psyche! the damage would be lost and if I remember a ruling on the news
> group it isn't.

Superior Psyche! is played after combat ends. It can be played after replacing
your Fake Out, for instance. It starts a new combat. Catatonic Fear's damage
would still be inflicted after the first combat, however. Psyche! can only
be played if both combatants are still ready at the end of combat, though.

Chris Berger

non lue,
8 oct. 2001, 21:09:2108/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BBDEA81...@white-wolf.com>...

> No. LfD ends combat (card text on LfD). Combat being ended burns BBA (card text on BBA).

What I don't understand is this: BBA is being burned, so LfD is
played. Either combat is ended first, or the ally is prevented from
being burned first. I don't know how to resolve timing issues if the
two happen simultaneously, so they have to be sequential, right?

Going by card text, combat ends first. BBA is being burned, then
combat ends. BBA says that it is burned when combat ends. Well, it's
already being burned, so that effect doesn't matter. An ally can't be
"doubly burned". He's already being burned (because the burning
hasn't been prevented at the time when the BBA's burn clause kicks
in), so the text doesn't change that. Now, LfD says, "The ally is not
burned." Okay, so he's not burned, combat ended already, so the BBA's
burn clause is not going to check again until another combat starts.
Result: BBA is alive.

If we instead consider that the burning is prevented first (which
would probably be considered errata), then the ally is not being
burned when combat ends. Result: BBA is dead, but if it were any
other ally, then Psyche! could be played, because the ally is ready
when combat ends.

If you somehow allow both effects to happen simultaneously, then it
appears that BBA is being burned twice, and only one of those burns is
being prevented. So, it would die. However, this doesn't give any
clear answer to the question of Psyche! At the time of combat ending,
the ally is in a transition phase between ready and not ready. I
don't like this scenario, and that's why I assume that one of the
above must happen.

GreySeer

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 00:00:4509/10/2001
> > I think I'm confused again. Given the rulings on Riposte, Catatonic Fear
and
> > Left for Dead. It seems to me that Psyche! is played as combat is
ending,
> > combat ends, then combat starts again. Otherwise, if you play Catatonic
Fear
> > then Psyche! the damage would be lost and if I remember a ruling on the
news
> > group it isn't.
>
> Superior Psyche! is played after combat ends. It can be played after
replacing
> your Fake Out, for instance. It starts a new combat. Catatonic Fear's
damage
> would still be inflicted after the first combat, however. Psyche! can only
> be played if both combatants are still ready at the end of combat, though.

Would it be the case then that, after playing LfD that the ally is still
being burned, you just don't burn it ( by card text )? This seems very odd
and that kind of reasoning could be carried into all kinds of situations. "I
can disarm you because I inflicted more damage even though you prevented it"

GreySeer

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 00:07:0209/10/2001

"Chris Berger" <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message

This is partly what I am trying to get at. I fail to see how things are
timed so that we get both BBA burning and Psyche! not "beating" Left for
Dead given the card texts. I'm glad I'm not the only one :}
Don't get me wrong, I want BBA to burn and I don't want Psyche! beating LfD
but I can't see how.

LSJ

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 06:32:5509/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BBDEA81...@white-wolf.com>...
> >
> > No. LfD ends combat (card text on LfD). Combat being ended burns BBA (card text on BBA).
> >
> What I don't understand is this: BBA is being burned, so LfD is
> played. Either combat is ended first, or the ally is prevented from
> being burned first. I don't know how to resolve timing issues if the
> two happen simultaneously, so they have to be sequential, right?

BBA is burned (by some effect in combat - say getting punched for 7).
This would end combat.
LfD is played (In the "combat is ending" period).
Then combat ends.
Then BBA burns (by card text on BBA).

Chris Berger

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 18:51:1009/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC2D257...@white-wolf.com>...

> Chris Berger wrote:
> > >
> > What I don't understand is this: BBA is being burned, so LfD is
> > played. Either combat is ended first, or the ally is prevented from
> > being burned first. I don't know how to resolve timing issues if the
> > two happen simultaneously, so they have to be sequential, right?
>
> BBA is burned (by some effect in combat - say getting punched for 7).
> This would end combat.
> LfD is played (In the "combat is ending" period).
> Then combat ends.
> Then BBA burns (by card text on BBA).

But then BBA doesn't burn, by card text on LfD. No offense, but your
post didn't really explain anything.

This is the way I see the sequence happening:

1) BBA is burned
2) LfD is played
3) LfD ends combat
4) BBA's text kicks in, burning BBA.
5) LfD says that BBA is not burned.

Where is the problem here? I guess it must be in step 4. Personally,
I don't even see how the BBA's text could kick in at this point. BBA
is already burned when combat ends. Effects are not usually generated
by cards that have been burned, unless the text specifically says that
it takes effect after the card is burned. BBA doesn't say that. But
I'll just assume that the text still has effect, since the LfD is
played as the minion is burned. This seems to pretend like the death
effect works like in that other game, and that fast FX can happen
while the BBA is "on its way to the ash heap", but allowing that...
The BBA is being burned. LfD has not yet said that the BBA is not
being burned. Then combat ends. BBA's text kicks in, and it's still
being burned. Nothing has changed. It was already being burned
before combat ended, and it's still being burned now. Now LfD says
that it's not burned.

Are you saying that there's some way a card can be double burned, so
that its burning must be prevented twice?

X_Zealot

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 20:42:1609/10/2001

"Chris Berger" <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message

He saying that BBA burns every time combat ends, and since combat ends is
part of Left for Dead then Left for Dead would burn it by card text.

LSJ

non lue,
9 oct. 2001, 21:18:2909/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC2D257...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Chris Berger wrote:
> > > >
> > > What I don't understand is this: BBA is being burned, so LfD is
> > > played. Either combat is ended first, or the ally is prevented from
> > > being burned first. I don't know how to resolve timing issues if the
> > > two happen simultaneously, so they have to be sequential, right?
> >
> > BBA is burned (by some effect in combat - say getting punched for 7).
> > This would end combat.
> > LfD is played (In the "combat is ending" period).
> > Then combat ends.
> > Then BBA burns (by card text on BBA).
>
> But then BBA doesn't burn, by card text on LfD. No offense, but your
> post didn't really explain anything.
>
> This is the way I see the sequence happening:
>
> 1) BBA is burned
> 2) LfD is played
> 3) LfD ends combat
> 4) BBA's text kicks in, burning BBA.
> 5) LfD says that BBA is not burned.

But LfD has already finished - it's not an ongoing effect (well, the "not burning"
part isn't, at any rate).

1) BBA is burned in combat
2) LfD is played to save it.
3) BBA is burned when combat ends.

> Where is the problem here? I guess it must be in step 4. Personally,
> I don't even see how the BBA's text could kick in at this point. BBA
> is already burned when combat ends. Effects are not usually generated
> by cards that have been burned, unless the text specifically says that
> it takes effect after the card is burned. BBA doesn't say that. But
> I'll just assume that the text still has effect, since the LfD is
> played as the minion is burned. This seems to pretend like the death
> effect works like in that other game, and that fast FX can happen
> while the BBA is "on its way to the ash heap", but allowing that...
> The BBA is being burned. LfD has not yet said that the BBA is not
> being burned. Then combat ends. BBA's text kicks in, and it's still
> being burned. Nothing has changed. It was already being burned
> before combat ended, and it's still being burned now. Now LfD says
> that it's not burned.

BBA's effect doesn't "interrupt" LfD in the middle of LfD's effect.
This is the same sort of thing that has been ruled for Rotschreck.

> Are you saying that there's some way a card can be double burned, so
> that its burning must be prevented twice?

No.

Chris Berger

non lue,
10 oct. 2001, 14:09:1010/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC3A1E5...@white-wolf.com>...

> > post didn't really explain anything.
> >
> > This is the way I see the sequence happening:
> >
> > 1) BBA is burned
> > 2) LfD is played
> > 3) LfD ends combat
> > 4) BBA's text kicks in, burning BBA.
> > 5) LfD says that BBA is not burned.
>
> But LfD has already finished - it's not an ongoing effect (well, the "not burning"
> part isn't, at any rate).

Okay, if LfD is already finished by the time combat ends (which is
when the BBA burns), then I should be able to play Psyche! after a LfD
has been played (on just about any ally *other* than BBA).

Here's the deal... both cards, Psyche! and BBA, pretty much require
the ally to be ready when they take effect. With BBA, if the ally is
not ready when combat ends, then the ally cannot burn again. Because
you agreed that there is no way for a card to be "doubly burned".
With Psyche!, the ally also has to be ready when combat ends. If the
ally is not ready when combat ends, then you cannot play Psyche!

So, either the ally is ready when combat ends, or it isn't. However,
for BBA, you're saying the card will burn itself because the ally is
ready when combat ends. For Psyche!, you're saying that it cannot be
played because the ally is not ready when combat ends. Both effects
take place at the same time ("when combat ends"), and in this
particular case have the same requirement... that the ally who has had
LfD played on him is not burned. Is the ally considered to be ready
when combat ends or not?

LSJ

non lue,
10 oct. 2001, 15:00:3810/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> > > post didn't really explain anything.
> > >
> > > This is the way I see the sequence happening:
> > >
> > > 1) BBA is burned
> > > 2) LfD is played
> > > 3) LfD ends combat
> > > 4) BBA's text kicks in, burning BBA.
> > > 5) LfD says that BBA is not burned.
> >
> > But LfD has already finished - it's not an ongoing effect (well, the "not burning"
> > part isn't, at any rate).
>
> Okay, if LfD is already finished by the time combat ends (which is
> when the BBA burns), then I should be able to play Psyche! after a LfD
> has been played (on just about any ally *other* than BBA).

Since both combatants were not ready back when combat was ending, Psyche!
cannot be played.

> Here's the deal... both cards, Psyche! and BBA, pretty much require
> the ally to be ready when they take effect. With BBA, if the ally is
> not ready when combat ends, then the ally cannot burn again. Because
> you agreed that there is no way for a card to be "doubly burned".

LfD ends combat and saves him. (he's no longer burning)
Then BBA card text burns BBA.

> With Psyche!, the ally also has to be ready when combat ends. If the
> ally is not ready when combat ends, then you cannot play Psyche!

The ally was ready when combat was ending, so Psyche! cannot be played.

> So, either the ally is ready when combat ends, or it isn't. However,
> for BBA, you're saying the card will burn itself because the ally is
> ready when combat ends. For Psyche!, you're saying that it cannot be
> played because the ally is not ready when combat ends. Both effects
> take place at the same time ("when combat ends"), and in this
> particular case have the same requirement... that the ally who has had
> LfD played on him is not burned. Is the ally considered to be ready
> when combat ends or not?

Before LfD is played: not.
After LfD is played: ready.

Chris Berger

non lue,
10 oct. 2001, 18:18:0910/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC49AD6...@white-wolf.com>...

> > With Psyche!, the ally also has to be ready when combat ends. If the
> > ally is not ready when combat ends, then you cannot play Psyche!
>
> The ally was ready when combat was ending, so Psyche! cannot be played.

The ally was *not* ready when combat was ending?

> > So, either the ally is ready when combat ends, or it isn't. However,
> > for BBA, you're saying the card will burn itself because the ally is
> > ready when combat ends. For Psyche!, you're saying that it cannot be
> > played because the ally is not ready when combat ends. Both effects
> > take place at the same time ("when combat ends"), and in this
> > particular case have the same requirement... that the ally who has had
> > LfD played on him is not burned. Is the ally considered to be ready
> > when combat ends or not?
>
> Before LfD is played: not.
> After LfD is played: ready.

Before LfD is played, combat is not ending. Combat doesn't end until
LfD is played. If you're saying that LfD is an atomic action that
both ends combat and saves the minion, then combat ends and the minion
is ready at the same time, allowing Psyche!, but burning BBA. If
combat ends first, then the BBA card is literally not around to burn
itself. When combat ends, BBA is in the ash heap. Cards do not
generate effects from the ash heap, unless they say that they do. BBA
doesn't say that it burns itself after combat ends, nor does it say
that it burns itself if it's not in combat. It burns *at the end of
combat*, and it will not burn itself if it's in the ash heap at the
end of combat. Which it is.

Am I the only one having this problem? I know, I know, I said I
wouldn't start any more aguments like 2nd Tradition, and this is
another timing issue like 2nd Trad (I argued that a minion could not
need intercept before it was blocking, and therefore the card either
couldn't be played by a tapped Prince at all, unless it was usable by
a tapped Prince regardless of needing intercept). I just don't see it
as possible that you can say that the minion is ready when combat ends
for the purposes of one card, but that it is not ready for the
purposes of another card. Honestly, if you can figure out exactly
where what I believe contradicts the rules or an errata, I'll let it
be, but it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

The Lasombra

non lue,
10 oct. 2001, 19:14:1310/10/2001

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC3A1E5...@white-wolf.com>...

> > > post didn't really explain anything.
> > >
> > > This is the way I see the sequence happening:
> > >
> > > 1) BBA is burned

AND COMBAT ENDS.
Psyche! cannot be played from this point on.

> > > 2) LfD is played
> > > 3) LfD ends combat

LfD Ends Combat redundantly. Combat already ends immediately when
either of the minions involved is no longer ready. For the Left
for Dead to be played, Combat has to already end with the ally being
burned.

> > > 4) BBA's text kicks in, burning BBA.

Right.

> > > 5) LfD says that BBA is not burned.

Wrong.
There is no timing stack.

Each affect or card resolves completely before any other effect.

Ally is burned.
Combat ends.
Left for Dead is played.
Ally is not burned, combat is confirmed as not restarting or continuing.
Ally is burned by its own text.

> > But LfD has already finished - it's not an ongoing effect (well, the "not burning"
> > part isn't, at any rate).
> >

> Okay, if LfD is already finished by the time combat ends (which is
> when the BBA burns), then I should be able to play Psyche! after a LfD
> has been played (on just about any ally *other* than BBA).

No, the combat ended when the ally burned.

> Here's the deal... both cards, Psyche! and BBA, pretty much require
> the ally to be ready when they take effect. With BBA, if the ally is
> not ready when combat ends, then the ally cannot burn again. Because
> you agreed that there is no way for a card to be "doubly burned".
> With Psyche!, the ally also has to be ready when combat ends. If the
> ally is not ready when combat ends, then you cannot play Psyche!

You have too many abbreviations in this post. Obviously you need to
rethink this paragraph.

> So, either the ally is ready when combat ends, or it isn't.

The ally is burned. Combat Ends.
Everything else happens later.

Read 6.4.3 of the Final Nights rulebook, or its online version here:

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/rulebook.html#sec6_4_3

"If one or both of the combatants are no longer ready (because one has
taken too much damage, for instance), then combat ends immediately.
So if a strike inflicts more damage than a minion can heal or prevent,
then combat ends at that point (no further strikes, no presses, etc.).
This is true at any point during combat, not just during strike resolution."

> For Psyche!, you're saying that it cannot be
> played because the ally is not ready when combat ends.

The ally is burned.
Combat Ends immediately.
Psyche! cannot be played after this point.

> Both effects take place at the same time ("when combat ends"), and in this
> particular case have the same requirement... that the ally who has had
> LfD played on him is not burned. Is the ally considered to be ready
> when combat ends or not?

The ally burned.
The combat ended immediately.
Psyche! cannot be played.

After Left for Dead has been played, the combat has ended (or been cancelled)
and the Blood Brother Ambush burns itself.

"Burn this card at the end of combat or if the combat is cancelled."

The Blood Brother Ambush cannot be prevented from burning itself by Left
For Dead. Damage or blood costs paid have to kill the Blood Brother Ambush
in order for Left For Dead to be played.

As the Left for Dead has to be played by someone who is not the controlled of
the Blood Brother Ambush, it is a VERY pointless discussion.
Should it happen in a game, have a great laugh. Then remove from cards from
the playing area and continue on with the next action.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

--
Posted from rr-163-54-80.atl.mediaone.net [24.163.54.80]

LSJ

non lue,
10 oct. 2001, 21:29:5410/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC49AD6...@white-wolf.com>...
> >
> > > With Psyche!, the ally also has to be ready when combat ends. If the
> > > ally is not ready when combat ends, then you cannot play Psyche!
> >
> > The ally was ready when combat was ending, so Psyche! cannot be played.
> >
> The ally was *not* ready when combat was ending?

The premise under consideration is that the ally was being burned in combat, right.

> > > So, either the ally is ready when combat ends, or it isn't. However,
> > > for BBA, you're saying the card will burn itself because the ally is
> > > ready when combat ends. For Psyche!, you're saying that it cannot be
> > > played because the ally is not ready when combat ends. Both effects
> > > take place at the same time ("when combat ends"), and in this
> > > particular case have the same requirement... that the ally who has had
> > > LfD played on him is not burned. Is the ally considered to be ready
> > > when combat ends or not?
> >
> > Before LfD is played: not.
> > After LfD is played: ready.
>
> Before LfD is played, combat is not ending. Combat doesn't end until

LfD cannot be played if combat is not ending.

> LfD is played. If you're saying that LfD is an atomic action that
> both ends combat and saves the minion, then combat ends and the minion

Yes.

> is ready at the same time, allowing Psyche!, but burning BBA. If

BBA was not ready at the end of combat, so Psyche! cannot be played.

> combat ends first, then the BBA card is literally not around to burn
> itself. When combat ends, BBA is in the ash heap. Cards do not
> generate effects from the ash heap, unless they say that they do. BBA
> doesn't say that it burns itself after combat ends, nor does it say
> that it burns itself if it's not in combat. It burns *at the end of
> combat*, and it will not burn itself if it's in the ash heap at the
> end of combat. Which it is.

So long as it's in the ash heap, sure.
If it makjes more sense to you that it got into the ash heap some
other way, then fine.

> Am I the only one having this problem? I know, I know, I said I
> wouldn't start any more aguments like 2nd Tradition, and this is
> another timing issue like 2nd Trad (I argued that a minion could not
> need intercept before it was blocking, and therefore the card either
> couldn't be played by a tapped Prince at all, unless it was usable by
> a tapped Prince regardless of needing intercept). I just don't see it
> as possible that you can say that the minion is ready when combat ends
> for the purposes of one card, but that it is not ready for the
> purposes of another card. Honestly, if you can figure out exactly
> where what I believe contradicts the rules or an errata, I'll let it
> be, but it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

X: He's not ready for the purposes of both cards.
X => LfD can be played.
X => Psyche! cannot be played.

Chris Berger

non lue,
11 oct. 2001, 13:28:1711/10/2001
"The Lasombra" <thela...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ad96876213bac1c7977...@mygate.mailgate.org>...

> "Chris Berger" <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message
>

> AND COMBAT ENDS.
> Psyche! cannot be played from this point on.

> LfD Ends Combat redundantly. Combat already ends immediately when
> either of the minions involved is no longer ready. For the Left
> for Dead to be played, Combat has to already end with the ally being
> burned.

> Right.

> Wrong.
> There is no timing stack.
>
> Each affect or card resolves completely before any other effect.
>
> Ally is burned.
> Combat ends.
> Left for Dead is played.
> Ally is not burned, combat is confirmed as not restarting or continuing.
> Ally is burned by its own text.

Like you said, there is no timing stack. The ally dosn't know that
combat ended, because it ended while the ally was burned.

If the ally could know that combat was ending, your sequence of events
should look like this...

Ally is burned.
Combat ends / ally is burned by its own text
Left for Dead is played

Ally is not burned, combat is confirmed as not restarting or
continuing

(*)

If there is no timing stack, then why are you buffering the combat
ends effect all the way to the end. By (*) combat is long over.
There is no second combat ends step here to trigger the BBA's burn
clause. BBA only burns when combat ends, not 3 steps after combat
ends, and not after combat ends and all additional effects have been
dealt with.

LSJ

non lue,
11 oct. 2001, 13:32:3011/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:
> Like you said, there is no timing stack. The ally dosn't know that
> combat ended, because it ended while the ally was burned.
>
> If the ally could know that combat was ending, your sequence of events
> should look like this...
>
> Ally is burned.
> Combat ends / ally is burned by its own text
> Left for Dead is played
> Ally is not burned, combat is confirmed as not restarting or
> continuing
> (*)
>
> If there is no timing stack, then why are you buffering the combat
> ends effect all the way to the end. By (*) combat is long over.
> There is no second combat ends step here to trigger the BBA's burn
> clause. BBA only burns when combat ends, not 3 steps after combat
> ends, and not after combat ends and all additional effects have been
> dealt with.

1) BBA suffers burning effect meaning combat would end.
2) In combat, Left For Dead is played, ending combat and saving BBA.
3) BBA is burned by its own card text.

Mike Ooi

non lue,
11 oct. 2001, 14:35:1811/10/2001

> 1) BBA suffers burning effect meaning combat would end.
> 2) In combat, Left For Dead is played, ending combat and saving BBA.
> 3) BBA is burned by its own card text.

You just don't get it, LSJ. We don't care about the timing of effects or the
rules or card text. We want to be able to block a minion with BBA. We want
to Computer Hack w/ BBA. We want the BBA to get a Leather Jacket and a
Laptop. To do that, we have to get it to survive that first combat. JUST
GIVE US WHAT WE WANT! GARFUNKELIN'!

-hee
Mike Ooi

Jason Bell

non lue,
11 oct. 2001, 14:56:2211/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote

> 1) BBA suffers burning effect meaning combat would end.
> 2) In combat, Left For Dead is played, ending combat and saving BBA.
> 3) BBA is burned by its own card text.

So, is Left for Dead playable when Blood Brother Ambush
burns himself "at the end of combat" (by his card text).

If not playable, is this because "at the end of combat" (BBA)
does not count as "in combat" (LfD)?

If playable, what mechanism burns Blood Brother Ambush
after combat is over (since "at the end of combat" would
have to count as "in combat," and the "is not burned"
provision of LfD is enforced after combat ends)?

- Jason Bell

LSJ

non lue,
11 oct. 2001, 15:04:3311/10/2001
Jason Bell wrote:

> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
>
> > 1) BBA suffers burning effect meaning combat would end.
> > 2) In combat, Left For Dead is played, ending combat and saving BBA.
> > 3) BBA is burned by its own card text.
>
> So, is Left for Dead playable when Blood Brother Ambush
> burns himself "at the end of combat" (by his card text).

No.

> If not playable, is this because "at the end of combat" (BBA)
> does not count as "in combat" (LfD)?

Yes.

Chris Berger

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 01:06:5612/10/2001
"Mike Ooi" <sh...@texas.net> wrote in message news:<GDlx7.700437$NK1.63...@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...
*smack* no, that's not the point. The point is to get an actual
explanation of timing whereby the minion is not ready when combat
ends, but somehow burns itself when combat ends. I have never played
with BBA, and I probably never will.

LSJ, please answer THIS QUESTION: Can an ally burn if it is not ready
(i.e. if it is burned)? Also, can card text on an ally cause an
effect if that ally isn't ready?

You keep restating the same thing over and over, while I ask, nay beg
and plead for an explanation. If an ally cannot burn if it is not
ready, then it must be ready when combat ends, or else BBA cannot burn
itself.

Assuming (ally not ready) => (ally cannot burn)
then, (ally not ready when combat ends) => (BBA cannot burn itself
after LfD)

On the other hand, (ally ready when combat ends) => (Psyche! *can* be
played after an LfD), assuming other conditions of Psyche! are met.

Don't say, "ally burns, LfD is played ending combat, BBA burns itself
from its own text." You are purposefully skipping over the step that
causes timing problems. You always put up this intentional blindspot,
where if you simply look at what I'm actually saying and consider it,
you will either a) agree with me that there is a discrepancy in the
ruling, or b) be able to actually explain in a way that I will agree
with. If you had done either one at the beginning of this thread, we
wouldn't be here, 30 or so posts deep.

James Coupe

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 05:20:0312/10/2001
In message <5287ede4.01101...@posting.google.com>, Chris
Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes

>*smack* no, that's not the point. The point is to get an actual
>explanation of timing whereby the minion is not ready when combat
>ends, but somehow burns itself when combat ends. I have never played
>with BBA, and I probably never will.

Combat is ending because the Blood Brother Ambush is being burned due to
excess damage, or somesuch. That is, the burning is taking place in
combat. So, we're leaving combat.

Left for Dead is played and saves the ally from being burned.

However, combat also ends; Blood Brother Ambush then burns *again* by
its own card text. Left for Dead does not (in a manner similar to
Undead Persistence's torpor avoiding effect) prevent future burnings, it
just stops one there and then.

LSJ

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 06:23:3312/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> "Mike Ooi" <sh...@texas.net> wrote in message news:<GDlx7.700437$NK1.63...@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...
> > "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > 1) BBA suffers burning effect meaning combat would end.
> > > 2) In combat, Left For Dead is played, ending combat and saving BBA.
> > > 3) BBA is burned by its own card text.
> > >

> > You just don't get it, LSJ. We don't care about the timing of effects or the
> > rules or card text. We want to be able to block a minion with BBA. We want
> > to Computer Hack w/ BBA. We want the BBA to get a Leather Jacket and a
> > Laptop. To do that, we have to get it to survive that first combat. JUST
> > GIVE US WHAT WE WANT! GARFUNKELIN'!
> >
> *smack* no, that's not the point. The point is to get an actual
> explanation of timing whereby the minion is not ready when combat
> ends, but somehow burns itself when combat ends. I have never played
> with BBA, and I probably never will.
>
> LSJ, please answer THIS QUESTION: Can an ally burn if it is not ready
> (i.e. if it is burned)? Also, can card text on an ally cause an
> effect if that ally isn't ready?

No. (If it is *being* burned, it can redundantly receive another burn effect
- which will have no effect, like tapping a tapped minion - but that's not
the case with LfD/BBA).

Yes. cf. Mummies.

> You keep restating the same thing over and over, while I ask, nay beg
> and plead for an explanation. If an ally cannot burn if it is not
> ready, then it must be ready when combat ends, or else BBA cannot burn
> itself.

The explanation is, as I have given:

After LfD, the ally is ready (and BBA burns himself).
It is not ready *when* combat ends (or LfD couldn't be played). But it is ready after LfD is played.
You cannot interrupt the LfD effect.
Just as you cannot interrupt Rotschreck (when combat ends) to play Psyche!

1) Ally is being burned (combat is about to end).
2) LfD is played (in combat). Combat ends and ally is no longer being burned.
3) BBA burns himself by card text.

> Assuming (ally not ready) => (ally cannot burn)
> then, (ally not ready when combat ends) => (BBA cannot burn itself
> after LfD)

Ally says burn when combat ends => burns when combat ends.
The fact that something saved him from a prior burning is not pertinent here.

> On the other hand, (ally ready when combat ends) => (Psyche! *can* be
> played after an LfD), assuming other conditions of Psyche! are met.

Ally was not ready when combat ends (he was being burned, by necessity, since
that is a pre-req to playing LfD).

Simlarly, you cannot Psyche! a Minor Boon save.

> Don't say, "ally burns, LfD is played ending combat, BBA burns itself
> from its own text." You are purposefully skipping over the step that
> causes timing problems.

Not true.

> You always put up this intentional blindspot,
> where if you simply look at what I'm actually saying and consider it,
> you will either a) agree with me that there is a discrepancy in the
> ruling, or b) be able to actually explain in a way that I will agree
> with. If you had done either one at the beginning of this thread, we
> wouldn't be here, 30 or so posts deep.

If you say so. A similar argument could be made from the other side
as well. This sort of haranguing isn't productive, however.

Brad Ward

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 12:28:5412/10/2001
LSJ's rulings still don't make sense to me either. The most
problematic idea is that a single combat is ended twice!_

1. ally is burned
2. Combat ends (can no longer play psyche)
3. Play LfD Combat Ends again, Ally is ready
When LfD is played LSJ says that it's ending a combat and the ally
is ready. Why no Psyche at this point? What combat did it end?
who where the combatants in this second combat?_
Another timing problem is in the wording of LfD itself and BBA. LfD
reads Combat Ends, then ally is not burned put a life on him etc. It
would seem to me that LSJ reads this card in reverse as:
1. Ally is not burned.
2. Combat Ends (hence BBA burning again via text)
Note that Rotschrek sends the Vampire to Torpor so of Course No psyche
can be played after Rotschrek since the combatants are not both ready.
Even though the rulings don't make sense to me I understand that BBA
burns no matter what and Psyche cannot be played after LfD. Just wish
I knew this before I lost LfD Garou to an Assamites Psyche at the last
LA tourney :(.
-Brad Ward

LSJ

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 12:39:5812/10/2001
Brad Ward wrote:

> LSJ's rulings still don't make sense to me either. The most
> problematic idea is that a single combat is ended twice!_
>
> 1. ally is burned
> 2. Combat ends (can no longer play psyche)

Combat is ending. Still in combat.
This is the timing at which Undead Peristence, Amaranth, LfD, etc. can be
played (in combat, before the end of combat).

> 3. Play LfD Combat Ends again, Ally is ready
> When LfD is played LSJ says that it's ending a combat and the ally
> is ready. Why no Psyche at this point? What combat did it end?
> who where the combatants in this second combat?_

Ally wasn't ready when combat was ending, as required by both LfD and Psyche!
If LfD can be played (as in the assumption above), then Psyche! cannot be.
No second combat, since Psyche! cannot be played.

> Another timing problem is in the wording of LfD itself and BBA. LfD
> reads Combat Ends, then ally is not burned put a life on him etc. It
> would seem to me that LSJ reads this card in reverse as:
> 1. Ally is not burned.
> 2. Combat Ends (hence BBA burning again via text)

No. I'm reading it, as I've said so many times already, as printed.
1. Combat ends and the ally is not burned.

Before LfD: combat.
After LfD: no combat.
=> combat ended.
=> BBA card text burns BBA.

Chris Berger

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 14:52:2712/10/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC6C4A5...@white-wolf.com>...
> Chris Berger wrote:

> > LSJ, please answer THIS QUESTION: Can an ally burn if it is not ready
> > (i.e. if it is burned)? Also, can card text on an ally cause an
> > effect if that ally isn't ready?
>
> No. (If it is *being* burned, it can redundantly receive another burn effect
> - which will have no effect, like tapping a tapped minion - but that's not
> the case with LfD/BBA).

But it is being burned when combat ends. Okay, I give up.

> Yes. cf. Mummies.

Sorry, knew I forget to put in a redundant clause in there (i.e.
unless it says it takes effect from the ash heap.

> The explanation is, as I have given:
>
> After LfD, the ally is ready (and BBA burns himself).
> It is not ready *when* combat ends (or LfD couldn't be played). But it is ready after LfD is played.
> You cannot interrupt the LfD effect.
> Just as you cannot interrupt Rotschreck (when combat ends) to play Psyche!

That's not haw fou've given it. You gave it like this:

> 1) Ally is being burned (combat is about to end).
> 2) LfD is played (in combat). Combat ends and ally is no longer being burned.
> 3) BBA burns himself by card text.

Which didn't help. I'm still don't agree that this is the correct
ruling, but I see that there is some kind of logic behind it. I still
don't understand how BBA somehow *knows* that combat ended, since it
wasn't around when combat ended, but if it could know, then I see how
it will be burned.

> Ally says burn when combat ends => burns when combat ends.
> The fact that something saved him from a prior burning is not pertinent here.

See that's the sort of thing I get annoyed at. What about (Ally says
burn when combat ends) AND (Ally is not ready when combat ends). Then
you have a contradiction. Call (Ally burns when combat ends)
proposition (a). Call (Ally is not ready when combat ends)
proposition (b). Call (Ally is able to be burned when combat ends)
proposition (c).

(a) => (c)
(b) => !(c)
(a) AND (b) => ?
(don't know how to do an upsidedown U for intersection...)

The way I look at it, (a) and (b) => !(c). All I wanted is for you to
refute (b) => !(c), which you have done above. Thank you.

> If you say so. A similar argument could be made from the other side
> as well. This sort of haranguing isn't productive, however.

Isn't it? I agree that you've explained why it could occur. I still
don't agree with the conclusion, but I seem to have coaxed an
explanation out of you, finally.

LSJ

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 15:25:4912/10/2001
Chris Berger wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BC6C4A5...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Chris Berger wrote:
>

> > > LSJ, please answer THIS QUESTION: Can an ally burn if it is not ready
> > > (i.e. if it is burned)? Also, can card text on an ally cause an
> > > effect if that ally isn't ready?
> >
> > No. (If it is *being* burned, it can redundantly receive another burn effect
> > - which will have no effect, like tapping a tapped minion - but that's not
> > the case with LfD/BBA).
> >
> But it is being burned when combat ends. Okay, I give up.

Yes, by LfD/BBA doesn't add another burn at that stage.
LfD/BBA burns BBA after combat (after the initial burn is thwarted).

> > Yes. cf. Mummies.
> >
> Sorry, knew I forget to put in a redundant clause in there (i.e.
> unless it says it takes effect from the ash heap.

OK. See also Charnas (a retainer whose text applies when he's being burned).

Either way, the point isn't applicable here, since BBA is burning itself
after LfD has saved it.

> > The explanation is, as I have given:

1. > > After LfD, the ally is ready (and BBA burns himself).
2. > > It is not ready *when* combat ends (or LfD couldn't be played). But it is ready after LfD is played.
3. > > You cannot interrupt the LfD effect.
4. > > Just as you cannot interrupt Rotschreck (when combat ends) to play Psyche!

> That's not haw fou've given it. You gave it like this:
>
> > 1) Ally is being burned (combat is about to end).
> > 2) LfD is played (in combat). Combat ends and ally is no longer being burned.
> > 3) BBA burns himself by card text.

While it's true that I've said that, that doesn't mean that I haven't given it
any other way.

See Message-ID: 3BC49AD6...@white-wolf.com (a follow-up to one of your
posts) for an example of the explanation I was referring to.

That messages says "LfD ends combat and saves him. Then BBA card text burns BBA" (point 1)
And "both combatants were not ready when combat was ending" (point 2)

Points 3 and 4 were made in a different message, again in a follow-up to one of
your posts.

> Which didn't help. I'm still don't agree that this is the correct
> ruling, but I see that there is some kind of logic behind it. I still
> don't understand how BBA somehow *knows* that combat ended, since it
> wasn't around when combat ended, but if it could know, then I see how
> it will be burned.
>
> > Ally says burn when combat ends => burns when combat ends.
> > The fact that something saved him from a prior burning is not pertinent here.
> >
> See that's the sort of thing I get annoyed at. What about (Ally says
> burn when combat ends) AND (Ally is not ready when combat ends). Then
> you have a contradiction.

No. There is no contradiction there.
If you burn BBA in combat and don't save him, his "burn me" clause won't
contradict that burning - it's redundant, not contradictory. That was
covered in my previous post, quoted at the top of this message.

> Call (Ally burns when combat ends)
> proposition (a). Call (Ally is not ready when combat ends)
> proposition (b). Call (Ally is able to be burned when combat ends)
> proposition (c).
>
> (a) => (c)
> (b) => !(c)

(b) does not imply !(c)
Being burned doesn't mean you are not able to be burned.

> (a) AND (b) => ?
> (don't know how to do an upsidedown U for intersection...)

(a) AND (b) => (c)

> The way I look at it, (a) and (b) => !(c). All I wanted is for you to
> refute (b) => !(c), which you have done above. Thank you.
>
> > If you say so. A similar argument could be made from the other side
> > as well. This sort of haranguing isn't productive, however.
>
> Isn't it? I agree that you've explained why it could occur. I still
> don't agree with the conclusion, but I seem to have coaxed an
> explanation out of you, finally.

It matches my previous posts.

Jason Bell

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 18:12:5612/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote

> Chris Berger wrote:
> > LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
>
> > > No. (If it is *being* burned, it can redundantly receive another burn
effect
> > > - which will have no effect, like tapping a tapped minion - but that's
not
> > > the case with LfD/BBA).
> > >
> > But it is being burned when combat ends. Okay, I give up.
>
> Yes, by LfD/BBA doesn't add another burn at that stage.
> LfD/BBA burns BBA after combat (after the initial burn is thwarted).

That's not how my Blood Brother Ambush reads.
"Burn this card at the end of combat or if the combat is canceled."

Left for Dead reads:
"Combat ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned."

My question, I suppose, is whether events described in card texts
occur simultaneously or sequentially.

If they occur simultaneously, then it seems that Blood Brother
Ambush burns itself simultaneously with Left for Dead's text
advising that the ally is not burned, causing a timing problem
that may or may not have yet been discussed.

If they occur sequentially, then it seems that Blood Brother
Ambush must not burn itself, since the burning "at the end of
combat" is redundant to it already being burned from combat,
while Left for Dead insists "that ally is not burned" after
"combat ends."

Pah, neither of these observations please me, so I don't
want to wade deeper into either until I know for sure
whether card texts occur simultaneously or sequentially.

- Jason Bell

LSJ

non lue,
12 oct. 2001, 21:44:1812/10/2001
Jason Bell wrote:
> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
> > Chris Berger wrote:
> > > LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote

> effect
> not
> > > >
> > > But it is being burned when combat ends. Okay, I give up.
> >
> > Yes, by LfD/BBA doesn't add another burn at that stage.
> > LfD/BBA burns BBA after combat (after the initial burn is thwarted).
>
> That's not how my Blood Brother Ambush reads.
> "Burn this card at the end of combat or if the combat is canceled."
>
> Left for Dead reads:
> "Combat ends. Put this card on that ally; that ally is not burned."
>
> My question, I suppose, is whether events described in card texts
> occur simultaneously or sequentially.

Atomically. That is - it doesn't matter (see below).

> If they occur simultaneously, then it seems that Blood Brother
> Ambush burns itself simultaneously with Left for Dead's text
> advising that the ally is not burned, causing a timing problem
> that may or may not have yet been discussed.

BBA's effect won't interrupt LfD's effect, so the timing problem
doesn't materialize.

> If they occur sequentially, then it seems that Blood Brother
> Ambush must not burn itself, since the burning "at the end of
> combat" is redundant to it already being burned from combat,
> while Left for Dead insists "that ally is not burned" after
> "combat ends."
>
> Pah, neither of these observations please me, so I don't
> want to wade deeper into either until I know for sure
> whether card texts occur simultaneously or sequentially.

If it suits you more, take BBA's text to mean "after combat"
instead of "at the end of combat". The errata isn't there,
but the result is the same.

Jason Bell

non lue,
13 oct. 2001, 05:55:5013/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote

> Jason Bell wrote:
>
> > My question, I suppose, is whether events described in card texts
> > occur simultaneously or sequentially.
>
> Atomically. That is - it doesn't matter (see below).

Hrm. It may not matter for this particular situation,
but it would still please me to have an answer, if
there is one.

For instance, if I have a card that says
"Combat ends, untap this vampire."

Does combat end first, then the vampire untaps,
do the two events happen simultaneously, or
does Heidelberg's Uncertainty Principle
still apply?

- Jason Bell

P.S. And I really don't like this:

LSJ wrote:
> If it suits you more, take BBA's text to mean "after combat"
> instead of "at the end of combat". The errata isn't there,
> but the result is the same.

Because if card texts aren't important, then perhaps we're
all better off eliminating some of the other contradictions
that card texts produce instead of reading some of them
as they are written and errata-ing others on the fly.

LSJ

non lue,
13 oct. 2001, 06:11:0113/10/2001
Jason Bell wrote:

> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
> > Jason Bell wrote:
> >
> > > My question, I suppose, is whether events described in card texts
> > > occur simultaneously or sequentially.
> >
> > Atomically. That is - it doesn't matter (see below).
>
> Hrm. It may not matter for this particular situation,
> but it would still please me to have an answer, if
> there is one.
>
> For instance, if I have a card that says
> "Combat ends, untap this vampire."
>
> Does combat end first, then the vampire untaps,
> do the two events happen simultaneously, or
> does Heidelberg's Uncertainty Principle
> still apply?

It still doesn't matter, but treat the two as happening
simultaneously.

> - Jason Bell
>
> P.S. And I really don't like this:
> LSJ wrote:
> > If it suits you more, take BBA's text to mean "after combat"
> > instead of "at the end of combat". The errata isn't there,
> > but the result is the same.
> Because if card texts aren't important, then perhaps we're
> all better off eliminating some of the other contradictions
> that card texts produce instead of reading some of them
> as they are written and errata-ing others on the fly.

My statement doesn't mean that card texts aren't important.
I was trying to get the effect of card text across, since
some players were having trouble with it.

Jason Bell

non lue,
13 oct. 2001, 06:23:5813/10/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
> Jason Bell wrote:

Dude, it's 6am EDT on a Saturday.

I'm impressed with a prompt and responsive customer
service representative, but for the love of Pete, take
a break.

- Jason Bell

Kevin M.

non lue,
13 oct. 2001, 13:53:1213/10/2001

"Jason Bell" <Jason...@mail.com> wrote in message

He's probably up changing diapers. He'll go back to bed soon. =)

> - Jason Bell

Kevin M., Prince of Madison, WI
(remove PLEASENOSPAMME for direct reply)
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, _The_Art_of_War_
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

LSJ

non lue,
14 oct. 2001, 07:47:5814/10/2001
"Kevin M." wrote:

> "Jason Bell" <Jason...@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
> > > Jason Bell wrote:
> >
> > Dude, it's 6am EDT on a Saturday.
> >
> > I'm impressed with a prompt and responsive customer
> > service representative, but for the love of Pete, take
> > a break.
>
> He's probably up changing diapers. He'll go back to bed soon. =)

:-)

Nah. The baby decided to sleep through the night for once, so
that wasn't it.

Actually I was doing some volunteer work yesterday. I got up when the
alarm went off (and checked the NG 'cause I can't help it :-)

0 nouveau message