The World's a Canvas question

Jozxyqk

Oct 3, 2008, 6:11:56 AM10/3/08
"[dom] (D) Burn half the counters on an uncontrolled minion in your prey's
uncontrolled region (round down)."

Since this doesn't specify "blood counters", do other types of counters on
a Banished minion (i.e. an Anarch counter, Vampiric Disease counter,
Corruption counters, etc) count towards the total, and can they be burned?

LSJ

Oct 3, 2008, 6:27:18 AM10/3/08

No.

Chris Berger

Oct 3, 2008, 9:16:21 AM10/3/08

Haha, that's funny. Too bad it's "(round down)", and wouldn't work to
turn him non-Anarch even without LSJ's clarification. Could still be
nasty with Banishment, though. But even still, it seems like there
are easier ways, which is why I just don't like this card and think
it's too expensive. Banishment + World's a Canvas on, say, an 8 cap
costs 2 blood and costs him 4, but Free State's Rant could've cost him
at least the same 4 without costing you 2 blood. Of course FSR +
Banishment requires 2 big vamps or 2 turns, whereas WaC could be done
by a weenie... but with the [dom] level being the strongest of the 3
and still not really being worth it...

Thrall of Arika

Oct 3, 2008, 12:38:22 PM10/3/08

Except that FSR keeps the target vampire in play.

Your example would be 2 actions and 2 blood to cost your prey 4 blood
and 4 pool (if they wanted to influence back out the 8 cap). Sounding
better?

Chris, Thrall of Arika

Chris Berger

Oct 3, 2008, 1:30:54 PM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 11:38 am, Thrall of Arika <christopher.ack...@amec.com>
wrote:

FSR keeps the vampire in play, but Banishment doesn't, whether it's
used with FSR or The World's a Canvas. Essentially replacing TWaC
with FSR gives similar results, but with different requirements. And
it doesn't cost them 4 blood *and* 4 pool... depending on what terms
you think of it in, it's one or the other.

Consider that the best case scenario for TWaC is that you can burn 5
blood off a vampire. You will not ever get that to happen without
using Banishment. (I'm sure there are a lot of people influencing out
Arika and leaving her uncontrolled at 10 pool... even if it were a
smart move based on circumstances, transfers available, etc... you
still have to have it actually happen at a time when you can
capitalize on it - so cornercase, you may as well ignore it). Even
with Banishment, you must Banish a 10 or 11 cap, not easy in itself.
But assuming you use Banishment + TWaC, you need a vampire with
capacity of X to deal a maximum of X/2 - 1 pool damage (rounded up).
With FSR + Banishment, you can cause X/2 (rounded up) damage, although
it requires either 2 of those big vamps, or 2 turns. But that's a
best case scenario with TWaC, and there doesn't seem to be much use
for it otherwise. You might, maybe, if you have the right vampire and
the right card in your hand at the exact right time, be able to cost
your prey 2 to 4 pool at your 2 blood cost. That is unlikely to
happen, and if you can get the TWaC past, it's a fair probability you
could have just bled for that 2 to 4 pool anyway.

Free States Rant, on the other hand, is good for lots of stuff. Not
necessarily saying that TWaC is crap because of FSR - some decks can
use FSR, some can use TWaC... only a few have a choice between the
two. But I *am* saying that TWaC is crap. It just doesn't do enough
for its 2 blood cost. [dom] version is the best of the bunch, but
it's not at stealth, and has few advantages over bleeding. [obf] is
burn a location at stealth - a good ability, but not worth 2 blood -
would rather use Conceal or Arson and provide stealth with other [obf]
cards. [vic] targets titled vampires, making it cornercase already,
and also isn't at stealth... 2 blood for their 4 blood, only against
titled, not at stealth? Poor.

librarian

Oct 3, 2008, 3:28:15 PM10/3/08

Or, you could just Govern Condition for 6 or 7...

best -

chris

--
Super Fun Cards
www.superfuncards.com *NEW Website!*

brandons...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2008, 4:58:40 PM10/3/08
Throwing in 1 copy of TWaC couldn't hurt, especially since it lets you
burn an event. If you can use it at more than one level, it may be
worth the slot.

bwross

Oct 3, 2008, 8:01:00 PM10/3/08

You're thinking of Shattering. Shattering is a good card...
Revelations for basic chi, burn events in play at +2 stealth
(undirected) for dem, and plink for 2 for pro. All new things, all
exciting things.

The World's a Canvas is just bad. It's like all the bad stuff got put
on one three way... which is good, because it didn't get spread around
to other cards. I suppose burning locations with obf is okayish... if
it didn't cost 2 blood. I'd stick with traditional tech and stealth
it through manually if needed instead. The other options are too
corner case... there are better ways to play blood denial than to use
TWaC (and it's not exactly a strong strategy anyways).

The World's a Canvas [TR:R]
Action 2 blood
Dominate/Obfuscate/Vicissitude
Requires an anarch.

[dom] (D) Burn half the counters on an uncontrolled minion in your
prey's uncontrolled region (round down).

[obf] +1 stealth action. (D) Burn a location.
[vic] (D) Burn 4 blood from a ready, titled, non-anarch vampire.

Brent Ross

Pullen

Oct 3, 2008, 9:10:06 PM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 4:58 pm, brandonsantac...@yahoo.com wrote:

You are mistaken, doesn't burn events, just your time.

World's a Canvas, The
Type: Action
Requires: anarch Dominate/Obfuscate/Vicissitude
Cost: 2 blood
Requires an anarch.

[dom] (D) Burn half the counters on an uncontrolled minion in your
prey's uncontrolled region (round down).

[obf] +1 stealth action. (D) Burn a location.
[vic] (D) Burn 4 blood from a ready, titled, non-anarch vampire.

Rarity: TR:R

Pullen

brandons...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2008, 2:29:47 PM10/5/08
On Oct 3, 6:10 pm, Pullen <mattp3...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 4:58 pm, brandonsantac...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Throwing in 1 copy of TWaC couldn't hurt, especially since it lets you
> > burn an event. If you can use it at more than one level, it may be
> > worth the slot.
Ah, sorry. Yeah, Vic *might* come in handy, but is just as likely to
be your xtable ally as your prey. I've used it at dom.. it is kinda
useful to disrupt someone trying to bring out one of their first vamps
(less blockers), but it is too expensive. Use undue influence or
brainwash.. something that doesn't require an anarch, an action, and 2
blood. The obf conversion.. just use arson or conceal. I could see
using the card if there was something better to reduce the cost (ie a
path, but for anarchs). I suppose you could go ravnos carnival-> TWaC,
but there are many better things you could be doing.

Pullen

Oct 5, 2008, 4:28:54 PM10/5/08
Sorry about the double post, my google groups has been all screwy and
didn't show a successful post.

librarian

Oct 6, 2008, 1:56:37 PM10/6/08
brandons...@yahoo.com wrote:
The obf conversion.. just use arson or conceal. I could see
> using the card if there was something better to reduce the cost (ie a
> path, but for anarchs

The Obf version does give you +1 stealth, that neither Arson nor Rampage
give you (well, Rampage's +1 stealth is so cornercase as to be out of
the discussion). I don't believe the +1 stealth should be worth 2 blood
for the discipline that is *the* stealth discipline. Would have been
better (read: better balanced) at +2s.

best -

chris

>> World's a Canvas, The
>> Type: Action
>> Requires: anarch Dominate/Obfuscate/Vicissitude
>> Cost: 2 blood
>> Requires an anarch.
>> [dom] (D) Burn half the counters on an uncontrolled minion in your
>> prey's uncontrolled region (round down).
>> [obf] +1 stealth action. (D) Burn a location.
>> [vic] (D) Burn 4 blood from a ready, titled, non-anarch vampire.
>>
>> Rarity: TR:R

XZealot

Oct 6, 2008, 2:03:45 PM10/6/08

> The World's a Canvas is just bad.  It's like all the bad stuff got put
> on one three way... which is good, because it didn't get spread around
> to other cards.  I suppose burning locations with obf is okayish... if
> it didn't cost 2 blood.  I'd stick with traditional tech and stealth
> it through manually if needed instead.  The other options are too
> corner case... there are better ways to play blood denial than to use
> TWaC (and it's not exactly a strong strategy anyways).

It's awesome for group 2-3 Panders. You can do a lockdown deck with
them.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

bwross

Oct 6, 2008, 10:06:37 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 2:03 pm, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:
> It's awesome for group 2-3 Panders. You can do a lockdown deck with
> them.

Well, maybe if it didn't cost 2... most of them either can't play it
or it will empty them out. Trying to use them will just lock yourself
down into having to continually maintain your own blood as well. I
don't consider that particularly awesome. You'd be far better off
with a Cryptic Mission deck.

Brent Ross

bwross

Oct 6, 2008, 10:15:41 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 1:56 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:

> brandonsantac...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> The obf conversion.. just use arson or conceal. I could see
>
> > using the card if there was something better to reduce the cost (ie a
> > path, but for anarchs
>
> The Obf version does give you +1 stealth, that neither Arson nor Rampage
> give you (well, Rampage's +1 stealth is so cornercase as to be out of
> the discussion).  I don't believe the +1 stealth should be worth 2 blood
> for the discipline that is *the* stealth discipline.  Would have been
> better (read: better balanced) at +2s.

Better, but still not nearly enough to play. If you have obfuscate
you can use Conceal. Sure the location burning is at superior and
without stealth, but it costs no blood... and the option of buring
equipment at inferior is great flexibility. I always love having some
way to deal with the Heart of Nizchetus and locations in my deck...
Conceal gives me both on the same card in the discipline that can make
sure it happens.

Brent Ross