[LSJ] Bond with the Mountain and Psyche!

salem

Jul 17, 2003, 11:44:59 AM7/17/03
We know that Earth Meld and Majesty untap the vampire (at superior)
before combat ends, thus leaving the vampire untapped even if someone
playes Psyche! at superior.

Bond with the Mountain (and Meld with the Land) lack the 'before
combat ends' text.
Following the RTR:
If the strike does something in addition to ending combat, that
something takes place just after the combat ends. [RTR 19970630]

and a ruling that goes:
things that happen after combat ends do not happen if combat does not
end or is restarted.[0]

then we have psyche! at superior, and presumably Telepathic
tracking(?) both negate the untapping portion of Bond with the
Mountain and Meld with the Land.
Correct?

[0]:
"From: LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com)
Subject: Re: two things (LSJ?)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
Date: 2002-08-29 08:18:30 PST

scrote wrote:

> "Sebastian O" <joe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eEjb9.216144$v53.11...@news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> > I seem to remember something in this group about Telepathic Tracking also
> > starting a new combat in the event of Rötschreck but, at the end of the new
> > combat, the vampire playing Telepathic Tracking still going to torpor. Is
> > this still the case?
> >

> This one had me for a while too (I used to remeber the same thing:).
> What you have said is basically correct, except for one important
> factor. Telepathic Tracking does not start a new combat, it continues
> the existing one. So what happens is effects that would happen at the
> *end of combat* are merely delayed until this later *end of combat*.
> Cards such as psyche get around this...combat _does not end_, instead
> start a _new_...or something to that effect.

Rötschreck doesn't set up an event to happen after combat.
It ends combat and does something else. That something else is
lost if combat does end or is restarted.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/"

I presume LSJ meant '...if combat does NOT end or is restarted.'
It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

LSJ

Jul 17, 2003, 1:16:27 PM7/17/03
salem wrote:
> We know that Earth Meld and Majesty untap the vampire (at superior)
> before combat ends, thus leaving the vampire untapped even if someone
> playes Psyche! at superior.
>
> Bond with the Mountain (and Meld with the Land) lack the 'before
> combat ends' text.
> Following the RTR:
> If the strike does something in addition to ending combat, that
> something takes place just after the combat ends. [RTR 19970630]
>
> and a ruling that goes:
> things that happen after combat ends do not happen if combat does not
> end or is restarted.[0]
>
> then we have psyche! at superior, and presumably Telepathic
> tracking(?) both negate the untapping portion of Bond with the
> Mountain and Meld with the Land.
> Correct?

No. The untapping happens.

salem

Jul 18, 2003, 12:50:31 AM7/18/03
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:16:27 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>salem wrote:
>> We know that Earth Meld and Majesty untap the vampire (at superior)
>> before combat ends, thus leaving the vampire untapped even if someone
>> playes Psyche! at superior.
>>
>> Bond with the Mountain (and Meld with the Land) lack the 'before
>> combat ends' text.
>> Following the RTR:
>> If the strike does something in addition to ending combat, that
>> something takes place just after the combat ends. [RTR 19970630]
>>
>> and a ruling that goes:
>> things that happen after combat ends do not happen if combat does not
>> end or is restarted.[0]
>>
>> then we have psyche! at superior, and presumably Telepathic
>> tracking(?) both negate the untapping portion of Bond with the
>> Mountain and Meld with the Land.
>> Correct?
>
>No. The untapping happens.

is this something for the ERC page, or is there already some ruling
that i have missed that's there?

LSJ

Jul 18, 2003, 7:53:50 AM7/18/03

It follows from the precedent set in RTR 01-MAY-2002. The untap effect
occurs when the strike resolves.