Rules question: Dagger

brandonsantacruz

Feb 4, 2010, 12:49:19 PM2/4/10
When you use the ability to equip a second Dagger from your hand, do
you have to pay for it? The wording "put a second Dagger" on this
minion without the clarifying "(pay cost as normal)" makes me wonder.
I hope the answer is "no" because that would work best to make the
card playable.

Brandon

Dagger
Cost 1 Pool
Equipment
Melee Weapon. Cold Iron.
You may put a second Dagger from your hand or ash heap on this minion
when you equip this Dagger from your hand. Strike: Strength+1 damage.
Alternately, strike: strength ranged damage and, after strike
resolution, put this weapon out of play until the end of the action.
Burn this weapon if any damage from it is prevented.

librarian

Feb 4, 2010, 12:53:58 PM2/4/10

Since it doesn't say Equip nor Play, and as you point out
doesn't have the "(pay cost as normal)" text, I think that
no, you don't have to pay the 1 pool. However, I am usually
wrong about this stuff...

best -

chris

LSJ

Feb 4, 2010, 12:58:10 PM2/4/10

Correct.

brandonsantacruz

Feb 4, 2010, 1:53:36 PM2/4/10
> > Since it doesn't say Equip nor Play, and as you point out
> > doesn't have the "(pay cost as normal)" text, I think that
> > no, you don't have to pay the 1 pool.
>
> Correct.

I'm just used to the "move" wording, thanks for the clarification.

Brandon

Legendre

Feb 4, 2010, 9:15:31 PM2/4/10
Is it my imagination, or is this card simply better than Bastard Sword/
Meat Cleaver?

JUST LIKE BASTARD SWORD/MEAT CLEAVER...

It costs 1 pool.
It does Str+1 melee damage.
You can make additional strikes with it (cf. Brass Knuckles,
Nightstick)
It's not unique.
It has no requirements for playing.

BUT:
You can get two for the price of one.
It's cold iron.
You can throw it.

Was this a misprint? Was it supposed to just do strength damage at
close range?

Janne Hägglund

Feb 4, 2010, 9:36:54 PM2/4/10
Legendre <gla...@gmail.com> writes:

You forgot the last sentence in the text: "Burn this weapon if any damage
from it is prevented."

Meat Cleavers and Bastard Swords are not destroyed by a single Fortitude card,
a Flak Jacket or a Glancing Blow, so Dagger is not simply better than them.

HG

Legendre

Feb 4, 2010, 11:05:38 PM2/4/10
On Feb 4, 6:36 pm, h...@iki.fi (Janne Hägglund) wrote:

Yes... it might help if I read the last sentence.

Peter D Bakija

Feb 5, 2010, 8:29:47 AM2/5/10
On Feb 4, 11:05 pm, Legendre <glav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes... it might help if I read the last sentence.

In practice, Dagger is just better than Bastard Sword and/or Meat
Cleaver, yes (just like Baseball Bat). Which is only good, as Bastard
Sword and Meat Cleaver really aren't any good. In a design sense, as
noted, it is a reasonable balance, as the daggers burn right quick
'cause someone has a Flak Jacket. But in reality, I can't imagine that
anyone would ever use a Bastard Sword or Meat Cleaver ever again
given:

-WWS
-Baseball Bat
-Dagger

Which is ok.

-Peter

Jelsky

Mar 16, 2010, 12:08:00 PM3/16/10
I have an additional question about Dagger:

Suppose I play the second Dagger from my hand, can I then, per
cardtext of this second Dagger, play a third Dagger from my ash heap
or hand? I guess not, but just to be sure..

Melee weapon. Cold iron.

You may put a second Dagger from your hand or ash heap on this minion

when you equip this Dagger from your hand. Strike: strength+1 damage.
Alternatively, strike: strength ranged damage and, after strike

resolution, put this weapon out of play until the end of the action.

Burn this weapon if any damage from it is prevented.

Thx in advance.

Jozxyqk

Mar 16, 2010, 12:12:58 PM3/16/10
Jelsky <jel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an additional question about Dagger:

> Suppose I play the second Dagger from my hand, can I then, per
> cardtext of this second Dagger, play a third Dagger from my ash heap
> or hand? I guess not, but just to be sure..

No, because that is "putting", and not "equipping".