What you expect to see at NAC

RoddPrime

Aug 27, 2009, 8:14:39 AM8/27/09
Are there any deck archetypes that you think will be particularly
popular this year? If so do you think that it will do well or just is
the latest fad?

Is there anything that you are prepping for in anticipation of NAC?

XZealot

Aug 27, 2009, 9:13:53 AM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 7:14 am, RoddPrime <roddpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any deck archetypes that you think will be particularly
> popular this year? If so do you think that it will do well or just is
> the latest fad?

Breed decks are always popular (see the last 3 NAC winners).

> Is there anything that you are prepping for in anticipation of NAC?

I hope to see Scourge of the Enochians in every deck.

Obtenebration

Aug 27, 2009, 9:34:51 AM8/27/09
>I hope to see Scourge of the Enochians in every deck.

Eh, not all that worrysome.

Blooded Sand

Aug 27, 2009, 10:18:10 AM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 3:34 pm, Obtenebration <obtenebrat...@obtenebration.org>
wrote:

> >I hope to see Scourge of the Enochians in every deck.
>
> Eh, not all that worrysome.

Scourge and 4th cycle would be quite good tho...

Jozxyqk

Aug 27, 2009, 10:35:21 AM8/27/09

Then also expect to see Uncoiling! :)

The Lasombra

Aug 27, 2009, 11:51:05 AM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 8:14 am, RoddPrime wrote:
> What you expect to see at NAC

I expect to see many Europeans, some of the best VTES players in the
world, in fact.

> Are there any deck archetypes that you think will be particularly popular this year?

Brujah Princes visiting Carthage.
Ventrue law firm, old and new.
Edward Vignes hang around to bleed you out when you are weak. See
also: Ruben Feldman.
Weenie dementation bleed.
Imbued. See also: Witness1.
"Embrace" style breed/bleed/boon. See also: Tsunda/Ravnos clown car,
Toreador Antitribu Palla Grande, etc.
Big bleed big stealth: dom/obf, dom/obt, pre/obf, perhaps even pre/
pro.
Nosferatu Princes Parity Shift. See also: Kamel Senni.
Pentex Subversion Lunge Tech. See also: European Stealth.

> If so do you think that it will do well or just is the latest fad?

They should all do well. Put good decks in the hands of good players
and games will be good. I don't expect to see a lot of Ebony Kingdom
based decks (i.e. the latest fad), as the Laibon are still too
disadvantaged in comparison to the Camarilla and Sabbat sects.

> Is there anything that you are prepping for in anticipation of NAC?

My decks will be prepped with Block Fails.

Powerlord

Aug 27, 2009, 12:48:11 PM8/27/09
Two things caught my attention:

On Aug 27, 4:51 pm, The Lasombra <thelasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Embrace" style breed/bleed/boon.  See also: Tsunda/Ravnos clown car,

What is "Tsunda/Ravnos clown car"?

> Pentex Subversion Lunge Tech.  See also: European Stealth.

What is "Pentex Subversion Lunge Tech"/"European Stealth"?

Though I'm european, I don't recognise this expression :), i lack
"international" experience...

Ricardo Marta
Prince of Lisboa
Portugal

The Lasombra

Aug 27, 2009, 1:05:30 PM8/27/09
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:48:11 -0700 (PDT), Powerlord wrote:

>> "Embrace" style breed/bleed/boon. �See also: Tsunda/Ravnos clown car,

>What is "Tsunda/Ravnos clown car"?

Making lots of Ravnos minions, preferably Laibon ones, so that Eldest
are Kholo gives lots of vote defense/offense, also using Week of
Nightmares to great effect. Clown Car comes from the Ravnos Carnival
usually included to help pay the costs of the Embraces/Tumnimos.

>> Pentex Subversion Lunge Tech. �See also: European Stealth.

>What is "Pentex Subversion Lunge Tech"/"European Stealth"?

European Stealth = Pentex Subversion in every deck. Lunge Tech is the
ability to do 10-12 damage in a single turn when your prey is unable
to block, in this case, due to the Pentex Subversion.

Matt Morgan appears to be responsible for the moniker "European
Stealth" when describing having a Pentex or 3 in every deck.

Peter D Bakija

Aug 27, 2009, 2:45:57 PM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 8:14 am, RoddPrime <roddpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any deck archetypes that you think will be particularly
> popular this year? If so do you think that it will do well or just is
> the latest fad?

I don't know that there will be anything based on the latest fad, but
you can likely expect:

-Regular old S+B
-Weenie Dem
-Breed Boon
-Lots of dominate

(please note that the Qualifier finals we were both in consisted of 2x
virtually identical Breed Boon decks and 3x dom heavy bleedzookas :-)

There might be some people playing spoiler Rush combat, not 'cause
they really expect to win, but 'cause they like making soft S+B deck
lose, but probably not many. There will probably be some unexpected,
kooky yet effective Laibon deck based on the last set that no one has
seen yet. Ooh! And some really cluttery Imbued jank that will do
surprisingly well!

But then, I'm just guessing.

-Peter

Peter D Bakija

Aug 27, 2009, 2:48:11 PM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 9:13 am, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:
> I hope to see Scourge of the Enochians in every deck.

Yeah, I'd expect the same thing. After getting totally traumatized by
Scourge in a few JOL games, I turned all my competitive decks Scourge
proof one way or the other. But then at, like, the 4 or 5 big
tournaments I've been to in the last couple months, I'm yet to see a
single one in play. Weird...

-Peter

Peter D Bakija

Aug 27, 2009, 2:50:09 PM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 11:51 am, The Lasombra <thelasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything that you are prepping for in anticipation of NAC?
>
> My decks will be prepped with Block Fails.

You will also be prepared with anti-Pentex Subversion tech, right?

:-)

-Peter

RoddPrime

Aug 27, 2009, 2:52:48 PM8/27/09
I think this topic is a lot more interesting than contesting .........
lol

So basically from what I gather breed/boon, stealth bleed, and vote
will be in ample supply this year. I thought people would be
mentioning animalism/deep song more. That is why I ask as I have never
been to NAC.

-Rodd

RoddPrime

Aug 27, 2009, 2:58:23 PM8/27/09

How does weenie Dementation really cut the muster without much
stealth?

Secondly, I think Laibon are alright, but I would have expected to see
something awesome by now if it were to happen. I can only think of
support cards like 419, Guruhi are the Land, Remnant, and then a few
decent vamps that could make a good all star deck.

Last, Imbued jank... by that do you mean table poison imbued?

Peter D Bakija

Aug 27, 2009, 3:14:59 PM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 2:58 pm, RoddPrime <roddpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does weenie Dementation really cut the muster without much
> stealth?

At the Ithaca Qualifier, Ruben was playing lean and mean example of
weenie dementation--likely 12 individual vampires in G3/4 with dem/DEM
(you get Jackie, Midget and a couple two three 5's with DEM). The deck
is made of nothing but Kindred Spirits, Confusion, Eyes of Chaos, Mind
Tricks, and Deny. Masters are Dementation skill cards, things that tap
your prey's guys, Pentex Subversion, and some defense cards (DI,
Sudden?). On your first turn, you get out a couple dementaion weenies.
On your next turn, you give one or both of them (with Agent of Power)
DEM. Bleed for 3-4 each, with up to +3 stealth. Lather, rinse, repeat
till everyone is dead. Has trouble with rush, and if your second prey
has a lot of bounce (your first prey has zero chance of survival,
unless he is playing weenie pot rush *and* has good card flow) and
gets to set up, you can have problems. But the deck can reliably get
to +3 stealth. Which is usually enough.

> Secondly, I think Laibon are alright, but I would have expected to see
> something awesome by now if it were to happen. I can only think of
> support cards like 419, Guruhi are the Land, Remnant, and then a few
> decent vamps that could make a good all star deck.

I'm sure there is something out there that someone is driving to
victory, using some cool new Laibon cards. But I haven't seen much of
it yet.

> Last, Imbued jank... by that do you mean table poison imbued?

Just, ya know, whatever the Imbued do. Most people who are good at the
Imbued stay away from "I play all the Gehenna events and everyone
hates me! Woohohohoho!", but a pretty standard deck that revolves
around the good Imbued bleeding for 2 or 3 a lot, having reliable
untap and block tech, and a lot of disguised Flash Grenades is very
solid. The fine tuning (a lot of Powers? Few Powers? Leather Jackets
and Laptops and Vigilance and NRA PAC or not?) is certainly something
that changes, but at the core, a good Imbued deck is a recursive horde
S+B deck with good defense. It usually takes some time to set up, but
once it gets going, it is hard to stop.

-Peter

The Lasombra

Aug 27, 2009, 10:53:35 PM8/27/09
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:52:48 -0700 (PDT), RoddPrime wrote:

>So basically from what I gather breed/boon, stealth bleed, and vote
>will be in ample supply this year.

High risk/high reward decks are plentiful when you have to qualify for
a second day.

>I thought people would be mentioning animalism/deep song more.

While it is easily sold, I haven't seen many winning decks made from
it. There will certainly be weenie animalism, whether the Raven Spy
intercept type or the Deep Song combat type remains to be seen.

>That is why I ask as I have never been to NAC.

Well, you should definitely make this your first!

http://www.thelasombra.com/NAC2009/

Carpe noctem.

The Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best source of V:TES information.
Now also selling boxes and individual cards.

The Lasombra

Aug 27, 2009, 10:56:00 PM8/27/09
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT), Peter D Bakija wrote:

>> > Is there anything that you are prepping for in anticipation of NAC?
>>
>> My decks will be prepped with Block Fails.
>
>You will also be prepared with anti-Pentex Subversion tech, right?

Indeed, very much so.

I intend to be PS proof by having 15 minions with superior dominate
and superior necromancy (or as close to 15 as I can get into play,
anyway).

(or not)

http://www.thelasombra.com/decks.htm#recruit
or
http://www.thelasombra.com/decks/School_of_Bakija.htm

Peter D Bakija

Aug 27, 2009, 11:54:46 PM8/27/09
On Aug 27, 10:56 pm, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >You will also be prepared with anti-Pentex Subversion tech, right?
>
> Indeed, very much so.
>
> I intend to be PS proof by having 15 minions with superior dominate
> and superior necromancy  (or as close to 15 as I can get into play,
> anyway).
>
> (or not)

I like that plan!

> http://www.thelasombra.com/decks.htm#recruit
> orhttp://www.thelasombra.com/decks/School_of_Bakija.htm

Sweet...

-Peter

Obtenebration

Aug 28, 2009, 8:47:16 AM8/28/09
>>(please note that the Qualifier finals we were both in consisted of 2x
>>virtually identical Breed Boon decks and 3x dom heavy bleedzookas :-)

I bet you didn't have Grendel the Worm Eaten in yours. Also, to throw
fire onto the popular debate, how many vampires did we contest?

Pentex Subversion is very easy to deal with. Design decks that don't
care what your predator does, and he uses a MPA and two pool to tell
you what you had already planned on not doing.

Peter D Bakija

Aug 28, 2009, 10:25:47 AM8/28/09
On Aug 28, 8:47 am, Obtenebration <obtenebrat...@obtenebration.org>
wrote:

> I bet you didn't have Grendel the Worm Eaten in yours.  Also, to throw
> fire onto the popular debate, how many vampires did we contest?

Man. Why wasn't there money on that bet? I did, in fact, have Grendel.

I'm pretty sure my crypt was:

2x Selma
2x Murat
2x Nikolaus
2x Calebros
1x Grendel
1x Agripina
1x Duck
1x Dimple

(I've been playing this deck for nearly a decade, and it just ebbs and
flows with new technologies. This one had some Uncoilings and No
Trace)

And I think by pure luck, I got Selma and Calebros in my opening,
where you got Murat and Nikolaus. If we had both pulled, say, Selma,
one, or both of us would have been far more screwed than we were.

> Pentex Subversion is very easy to deal with.  Design decks that don't
> care what your predator does, and he uses a MPA and two pool to tell
> you what you had already planned on not doing.

Indeed. Also a strong plan :-)

Powerlord

Aug 28, 2009, 1:36:30 PM8/28/09
On Aug 27, 6:05 pm, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Making lots of Ravnos minions, preferably Laibon ones, so that Eldest
> are Kholo gives lots of vote defense/offense, also using Week of
> Nightmares to great effect.  Clown Car comes from the Ravnos Carnival
> usually included to help pay the costs of the Embraces/Tumnimos.

Ok, got it, i already new the idea, just not the name.

> European Stealth = Pentex Subversion in every deck.  Lunge Tech is the
> ability to do 10-12 damage in a single turn when your prey is unable
> to block, in this case, due to the Pentex Subversion.
>
> Matt Morgan appears to be responsible for the moniker "European
> Stealth" when describing having a Pentex or 3 in every deck.

Ok, got it too, though i think 3 are too much. But then again,
everybody know Matt and he have won several tournaments... i might try
3 next time ;)

Powerlord
Prnice of Lisboa
Portugal

Rehlow

Aug 28, 2009, 1:43:57 PM8/28/09
On Aug 27, 9:56 pm, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> My decks will be prepped with Block Fails.
>
> >You will also be prepared with anti-Pentex Subversion tech, right?
>
> Indeed, very much so.
>
> I intend to be PS proof by having 15 minions with superior dominate
> and superior necromancy  (or as close to 15 as I can get into play,
> anyway).

So you are going to play Turbo Baron? Sweet!

> (or not)

You should play Turbo Baron with Path of the Void. I don't know how
that would work out, but I have faith in your deck building abilities.

Later,
~Rehlow