Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

OT: Had to brag - FigurePrints

0 wyświetleń

atomweaver

nieprzeczytany,
12 gru 2007, 11:47:2112.12.2007
do
To All,

I know a bunch of VTESsers are MMP online gamers, and this is very
gaming-related so I had to brag...

My father is the formulating chemist responsible for the chemistry aspect
of making this product a commercial reality;

http://www.figureprints.com/

Basically, FigurePrints allows for customized World of Warcraft avatars
to be turned into real full-color resin figurines, via 3D modeling.

There is a write up on it in The Wall Street Journal;

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119742129566522283-
G1XoCiuvBEry8m_z8rYTRZrawmE_20080110.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

and a YouTube video here which shows the first figure made;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvqT4M1zNI

Too cool, and I have to say I'm incredibly proud of the 'old man' for his
part in it all.

Oscar, contact me if there is interest in this technology on the part of
White Wolf.

R. David Zopf

Daneel

nieprzeczytany,
12 gru 2007, 16:13:5612.12.2007
do
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:47:21 GMT, atomweaver <atomw...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> To All,
>
> I know a bunch of VTESsers are MMP online gamers, and this is very
> gaming-related so I had to brag...
>
> My father is the formulating chemist responsible for the chemistry aspect
> of making this product a commercial reality;

So it seems Chemistry has a history in your family... :)

Although I'm not playing MMO games, I have to say the demo looks
really impressive!

--
Regards,

Daneel

librarian

nieprzeczytany,
12 gru 2007, 21:04:4312.12.2007
do

I always wondered at Dave's penchant for stealing equipment. Now it's
explained. Chimestry in the family...

best -

chris

--
Super Fun Cards
http://stores.ebay.com/superfuncards/

atomweaver

nieprzeczytany,
13 gru 2007, 10:18:2213.12.2007
do
Daneel <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote in news:opt28qli...@news.chello.hu:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:47:21 GMT, atomweaver <atomw...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> To All,
>>
>> I know a bunch of VTESsers are MMP online gamers, and this is very
>> gaming-related so I had to brag...
>>
>> My father is the formulating chemist responsible for the chemistry
>> aspect of making this product a commercial reality;
>
> So it seems Chemistry has a history in your family... :)

Yahh. I'm a second generation geek.

> Although I'm not playing MMO games, I have to say the demo looks
> really impressive!

Just wait until we make it cheap enough to make customized armies for
tabletop minis games (Warhammer, Warmachine, etc...)

DZ
AW

eRol

nieprzeczytany,
13 gru 2007, 11:08:1413.12.2007
do
That would be awesome.

Erol
"still waiting for the holo-tabletop game"

John Flournoy

nieprzeczytany,
13 gru 2007, 14:18:5613.12.2007
do
On Dec 12, 10:47 am, atomweaver <atomwea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> To All,
>
> I know a bunch of VTESsers are MMP online gamers, and this is very
> gaming-related so I had to brag...
>
> My father is the formulating chemist responsible for the chemistry aspect
> of making this product a commercial reality;
>
> http://www.figureprints.com/
>
> Basically, FigurePrints allows for customized World of Warcraft avatars
> to be turned into real full-color resin figurines, via 3D modeling.
>
> There is a write up on it in The Wall Street Journal;
>
> http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119742129566522283-
> G1XoCiuvBEry8m_z8rYTRZrawmE_20080110.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top
>
> and a YouTube video here which shows the first figure made;
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvqT4M1zNI
>
> Too cool, and I have to say I'm incredibly proud of the 'old man' for his
> part in it all.

While I'm sure he's aware of the possibility, worth pointing out that
there's probably a reasonably large market for doing the same thing
with people's City of Heroes/Villains characters (where players tend
to be insanely more costume-oriented and thus more likely to want
statuary of their creations..)

> R. David Zopf

-John Flournoy

Rehlow

nieprzeczytany,
13 gru 2007, 15:18:2413.12.2007
do
On Dec 13, 10:08 am, eRol <errikos.oenguen_nospam_@_nospam_web.de>
wrote:
> atomweaver wrote:
> > Daneel <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote innews:opt28qli...@news.chello.hu:

Thanks for bragging/starting the OT post - that's awesome.

> >> So it seems Chemistry has a history in your family... :)
>
> > Yahh. I'm a second generation geek.
>
> >> Although I'm not playing MMO games, I have to say the demo looks
> >> really impressive!
>
> > Just wait until we make it cheap enough to make customized armies for
> > tabletop minis games (Warhammer, Warmachine, etc...)
>
> > DZ
> > AW
>
> That would be awesome.

I was guessing from the glass dome the character was displayed in it
would be a figure you didn't want to touch much. I guess as the price
comes down, the consumer is more willing to let their models be
handled.

> Erol
> "still waiting for the holo-tabletop game"

There is a game for the Playstation 3 called Eye of the Beholder (I
think that's the name) that uses a webcam to look at a board where you
place special ccg cards and then renders the character on screen in 3-
D. You can then make the character do a couple different moves/actions/
attacks with the controller or touching it the card from different
directions. You can then battle a computer player or someone online.
It looks pretty cool, but I'm unwilling to shell out the cash for a
PS3 just to be able to play it.

Later,
~Rehlow

John Flournoy

nieprzeczytany,
13 gru 2007, 15:29:0513.12.2007
do

As far as saving money goes, it turns out that the camera system can't
readily distinguish between a card you paid for and a scanned printout
of somebody's card, or so the internet folks have noted...

> Later,
> ~Rehlow

atomweaver

nieprzeczytany,
14 gru 2007, 09:00:0614.12.2007
do
Rehlow <news...@rehlow.com> wrote in

> I was guessing from the glass dome the character was displayed in it
> would be a figure you didn't want to touch much. I guess as the price
> comes down, the consumer is more willing to let their models be
> handled.

On the contrary, they're more durable than typical cast-resin figurines.
I have seen a "Borg" stauette that has been repeatedly beaten with a hard
rubber mallet by dozens of people, with no ill effects. Its under glass
because of the current unit cost, only. Because of the specialty nature of
the resins used, the price per pound of resin is currently very high. If
the volumes increase steadily, the resin costs will come down. All other
things being fixed costs, that should directly impact the unit cost. I'm
guessing that once the "per figure" cost is in the range of $20, then
skirmish-level games like Warmachine will be in reach.

DZ

atomweaver

nieprzeczytany,
14 gru 2007, 09:02:4514.12.2007
do
John Flournoy <carn...@gmail.com> wrote in

> While I'm sure he's aware of the possibility, worth pointing out that
> there's probably a reasonably large market for doing the same thing
> with people's City of Heroes/Villains characters (where players tend
> to be insanely more costume-oriented and thus more likely to want
> statuary of their creations..)

That's true... Everyone in the industry is waiting to see the relative
success of the idea with FigurePrints and WoW. Since FigurePrints is
investing in some serious capital equipment to get this going, I'm guessing
they'll be farming out for additional business sooner or later.

DaveZ

Rehlow

nieprzeczytany,
14 gru 2007, 11:19:5514.12.2007
do
On Dec 14, 8:00 am, atomweaver <atomwea...@hotmail.com> wrote:

That's good to hear. I hope it does take off. Vampire players could
get some really cool Edges. I'm sure there will be plenty of wargamers
that are willing to pay a premium price to be able to custom design a
general to lead their armies. Warhammer and Warmachine already have
models that cost $40-60+ and gamers wouldn't have to wait for prices
to drop too much, but larger than a regular figure means more resin
which means more cost of materials.

I might put more weight into what equipment looks like on my WoW
character instead of just stats now. ;)

Later,
~Rehlow

Wiadomość została usunięta

Salem

nieprzeczytany,
14 gru 2007, 20:57:1814.12.2007
do
atomweaver wrote:
> Rehlow <news...@rehlow.com> wrote in
>

>> That's good to hear. I hope it does take off. Vampire players could
>> get some really cool Edges.
>
> Dude!!! You read my mind!!! I've already asked for a three dimensional
> spherical "tri-snakes" Edge (imagine the tri-snakes logo as a hollow sphere
> of five inter-twined snakes, instead of the usual three...)

:O

dude!

!!

awesome!

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'yahoo' to email)

Daneel

nieprzeczytany,
15 gru 2007, 01:20:5915.12.2007
do
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:21:48 GMT, atomweaver <atomw...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Rehlow <news...@rehlow.com> wrote in

>> That's good to hear. I hope it does take off. Vampire players could
>> get some really cool Edges.
>

> Dude!!! You read my mind!!! I've already asked for a three dimensional
> spherical "tri-snakes" Edge (imagine the tri-snakes logo as a hollow
> sphere of five inter-twined snakes, instead of the usual three...)

Wouldn't that kind of roll away? ;P

--
Regards,

Daneel